Work done to pull the entire chain

In summary, the question asked for the work done to pull a chain of mass 4Kg and length 2m onto a table, with 60 cm hanging off the edge. The work done can be found by lifting the center of mass of the hanging portion, which is 1.2Kg by 0.3m, resulting in 3.6J of work.
deep838

Homework Statement

A chain of mass 4Kg and length 2m is lying on a table, such that 60 cm of one end is hanging from one edge off the table. Find the work done to pull the entire chain on the table.

Homework Equations

(anything that'll work i suppose)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that the work done to do this is simply the work done against gravity to lift the hanging mass.
The mass per unit length of the chain is λ=m/l=2Kg/m
So the mass of the hanging portion is λ*60cm=2*0.6Kg=1.2Kg
So the work done to lift it 0.6m up is 1.2*9.8*0.6J=7.056J

But the given answer is 3.6J.
What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You assumed that the entire mass of the portion of the chain that needs to be lifted is 0.6 m below that table. But that is not correct. Most of the portion is above that. And those parts need less work. How could you take this into account?

I don't get that! The mass that's on the table is on the table! So shouldn't I lift only the part that's hanging?

The part that is hanging is contiguous. Only its end is 0.6 m below the table. The other bits of the hanging part are still below the table, but HIGHER than 0.6 m.

Oh yeah! of course! so if I assume lifting the centre of mass of the hanging portions, then I lift 1.2Kg by 0.3m! the answer then comes! thanks.

Correct.

Related to Work done to pull the entire chain

1. What is the definition of "work done to pull the entire chain"?

The work done to pull the entire chain is the amount of energy expended to move the entire chain from one point to another. It takes into account the force applied, the distance the chain is pulled, and the resistance encountered during the pulling process.

2. How is the amount of work done to pull the entire chain calculated?

The work done to pull the entire chain is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the chain by the distance the chain is pulled. This is represented by the equation W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What factors affect the amount of work done to pull the entire chain?

The amount of work done to pull the entire chain is affected by the weight of the chain, the resistance encountered (such as friction or air resistance), and the force applied to move the chain. The distance the chain is pulled also plays a role in the amount of work done.

4. How does the work done to pull the entire chain relate to the tension in the chain?

The work done to pull the entire chain is directly related to the tension in the chain. As more force is applied to pull the chain, the tension in the chain increases, resulting in more work being done. Similarly, reducing the force applied or decreasing the distance the chain is pulled will decrease the amount of work done.

5. What are some real-life examples of work done to pull the entire chain?

Some real-life examples of work done to pull the entire chain include pulling a heavy object with a chain and pulley system, towing a car with a chain, and pulling a ship into a dock using a chain and winch. In all of these scenarios, the work done is equal to the force applied to the chain multiplied by the distance the chain is pulled.