Speed of a wave when crossing a boundary vs. not

In summary, the speed of a wave is dependent on the medium it travels through, but can also be affected by other factors such as stiffness and temperature. When a wave crosses into a different medium, its speed can change due to these factors. It is important to consider each wave and material individually, as there are no general rules for determining the speed of a wave.
Skrphys
I am having a problem with understanding concepts related to the speed of a wave. Here are my thoughts laid out:
1) The speed of a wave is dependent only on the medium
2) When a wave crosses from a less dense medium into a more dense medium (or visa versa) the speed of the wave is always fastest in the less dense medium.
3) When a wave (particularly a sound wave) is introduced into a medium, the more dense the medium, the faster the wave travels.

These statements seem to be conflicting. Can anyone rectify the situation for me?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Skrphys said:
I am having a problem with understanding concepts related to the speed of a wave. Here are my thoughts laid out:
2) When a wave crosses from a less dense medium into a more dense medium (or visa versa) the speed of the wave is always fastest in the less dense medium.
3) When a wave (particularly a sound wave) is introduced into a medium, the more dense the medium, the faster the wave travels.

These statements seem to be conflicting. Can anyone rectify the situation for me?

Thanks in advance!

These are two different waves that have different mechanisms.

Light waves actually travel in vacuum. So a "medium" can be naively thought of as "obstacles" in its path.

Sound waves are the oscillation of the medium. So it is the material that make up the medium that oscillates to cause such a wave. Thus, the more dense, the quicker the disturbance is transferred to the neighboring regions.

Zz.

Skrphys said:

For number 2, you might be imagining a sound wave in helium versus a sound wave in air. Indeed, sound travels more rapidly in helium. And helium is less dense than air. For number 3, you might be imagining a sound wave in steel versus a sound wave in air. Indeed, sound travels more rapidly in steel. And steel is more dense than air.

The speed of a compression wave depends not only on density, but also on stiffness. Sound travels rapidly in steel because steel is very stiff, not because it is very dense. See Wiki.

Likes sophiecentaur
Skrphys said:
Read about "dispersion" of waves in a medium, and maybe update this line? :smile:

Likes sophiecentaur
Skrphys said:
Too much of a simplification. In a solid
v = √(K/ρ)
where K is the Stiffness. So , although inversely affected by density, the stiffness counts just as much)
In a gas, the speed of sound is largely dependent on the Temperature. That's because the speed of propagation from molecule to molecule will depend on their individual average speeds.
Bottom line is that there are no general rules and each wave and material needs to be taken on its own.

Likes berkeman
Thank you all for your posts. Sometimes I forget that often times in physics approximations are used.

Likes berkeman

Related to Speed of a wave when crossing a boundary vs. not

1. What is the difference between the speed of a wave when crossing a boundary vs. not?

The speed of a wave when crossing a boundary refers to the change in speed of the wave as it moves from one medium to another. When a wave crosses a boundary between two different mediums, such as air and water, the speed of the wave will change due to the change in the properties of the medium.

2. How does the speed of a wave change when it crosses a boundary?

The speed of a wave changes when it crosses a boundary due to the difference in the properties of the two mediums. The wave will either speed up or slow down depending on the density and elasticity of the medium it is entering. When a wave enters a denser medium, it will slow down, and when it enters a less dense medium, it will speed up.

3. Why does the speed of a wave change when crossing a boundary?

The speed of a wave changes when crossing a boundary because the wave must travel through a new medium with different properties. These properties, such as density and elasticity, affect the speed at which the wave can travel through the medium. As a result, the wave's speed will change as it enters a new medium with different properties.

4. Does the speed of a wave always change when crossing a boundary?

No, the speed of a wave does not always change when crossing a boundary. If the two mediums have similar properties, the speed of the wave may remain constant as it crosses the boundary. For example, when a light wave travels from air to glass, the speed of the wave remains relatively constant because the properties of the two mediums are similar.

5. What other factors can affect the speed of a wave when crossing a boundary?

In addition to the properties of the medium, other factors that can affect the speed of a wave when crossing a boundary include the angle at which the wave enters the new medium and the frequency of the wave. The angle at which the wave enters the new medium can cause the wave to change direction, which can also affect its speed. The frequency of the wave can also impact its speed, as waves with higher frequencies tend to travel faster than those with lower frequencies.