Spectrum of the Hamiltonian in QFT

In summary, the spectrum of the Hamiltonian in ordinary QM gives all necessary information for the system, but in QFT with multiparticle states, the free and interacting states have different spectral equations. In some cases, the multiparticle Hamiltonian can be diagonalized, but in relativistic QFTs like QED, it is not well-defined and only serves as a set of rules for a perturbation expansion. Efforts are being made to understand how QED approximates an underlying theory.
unchained1978
I know in ordinary QM, the spectrum of the Hamiltonian [itex]\{ E_{n}\}[/itex] gives you just about everything you need for the system in question (roughly speaking). So what happens to this spectrum in QFT where [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] is now a multiparticle wavefunction in some Fock space? I've been trying to understand this, but I don't yet have a clear grasp. Essentially, what's wrong with writing [itex]\hat H |\psi_{n}\rangle=E_{n}|\psi_{n}\rangle[/itex] in QFT where the psi's are now multiparticle states?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's nothing wrong, but it's not really useful. The QFT has two types of states: free / asymptotic ones for which the spectral equation for the Hamiltonian has solutions - free particles on their mass sheet (according to the representations of SL(2,C) semidirect product with R^4), while for the interacting states there's no use for the spectral equation, since the states are no longer stationary -> S-matrix formalism.

What's a mass sheet? (Or did you mean mass shell?) Also, I read elsewhere that determining the spectrum corresponds to finding the spectrum of [itex]m^{2}[/itex] or something, but I don't quite understand what that means or why it's important.

unchained1978 said:
Essentially, what's wrong with writing [itex]\hat H |\psi_{n}\rangle=E_{n}|\psi_{n}\rangle[/itex] in QFT where the psi's are now multiparticle states?

There is nothing wrong. In some favourable cases you can diagonalize the multiparticle hamiltonian and you get everything you want from it, like e.g. for the strong coupling hamiltonian in superconductors.
The problem with relativistic QFT's like QED is that in 3+1 dimensions no one even has shown that the QFT exists at all as a well defined theory and the hamiltonian is unknown.

DrDu said:
The problem with relativistic QFT's like QED is that in 3+1 dimensions no one even has shown that the QFT exists at all as a well defined theory and the hamiltonian is unknown.

Can you elaborate a bit please? Or provide some links? I don't quite understand what you mean here.

Related to Spectrum of the Hamiltonian in QFT

1. What is the spectrum of the Hamiltonian in QFT?

The spectrum of the Hamiltonian in QFT refers to the set of all possible energy values that a quantum field can have. This spectrum is continuous, meaning that there are an infinite number of possible energy values that the field can take on.

2. How is the spectrum of the Hamiltonian determined in QFT?

The spectrum of the Hamiltonian in QFT is determined by solving the corresponding quantum field theory equations, such as the Klein-Gordon equation or the Dirac equation. These equations take into account the interactions between particles and the quantization of fields, resulting in the continuous spectrum of energy values.

3. What is the significance of the spectrum of the Hamiltonian in QFT?

The spectrum of the Hamiltonian in QFT is significant because it determines the possible energy states of a quantum field. This, in turn, affects the behavior and interactions of particles in the field and can help predict the outcomes of physical processes.

4. Can the spectrum of the Hamiltonian change in QFT?

Yes, the spectrum of the Hamiltonian in QFT can change depending on the conditions in which the quantum field is being studied. For example, the spectrum can change with the introduction of external fields or when studying the field at different energy scales.

5. How does the spectrum of the Hamiltonian relate to particle creation and annihilation in QFT?

The spectrum of the Hamiltonian in QFT is closely related to particle creation and annihilation. When particles are created or annihilated in a quantum field, it results in a change in the energy states of the field, which is reflected in the spectrum of the Hamiltonian.