Spectral and Luminosity Classification

In summary, the conversation is about finding a comprehensive table of spectral and luminosity classification that includes data on spectral classes, mass, luminosity, and radius, including information on evolved stars. One person mentions finding a helpful table online, but it does not include data on evolved stars. Another suggests looking for a book called Allen's Astrophysical Quantities, which is available as a preview on Google Books and likely has the desired information in Chapter 15.
deathsfriend
I am looking for a table of spectral and luminosity classification that shows the breakdown of spectral classes, mass, luminosity, radius, and includes evolved stars. Has anyone seen something like this. I did find this: http://nrumiano.free.fr/Estars/classes.html It is helpful, but doesn't include evolved stars. If no one has seen something like this, maybe I should make one.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you can get a copy, Allen's Astrophysical Quantities will have what you need.

Said book is available pretty much in it's entirety as a preview on Google Books (don't ask me why). You'll probably be wanting Chapter 15 (p 381...)

Related to Spectral and Luminosity Classification

1. What is spectral classification and why is it important in astronomy?

Spectral classification is a system used by astronomers to categorize and describe the spectra of stars. This is important because it allows us to study the physical properties of stars, such as temperature, composition, and luminosity, which in turn helps us understand the nature of the universe.

2. How are stars classified based on their spectra?

Stars are classified based on their spectra by using a letter code, with the letters O, B, A, F, G, K, M representing the hottest to coolest stars respectively. Each letter is then divided into 10 subclasses based on the strength of specific spectral lines.

3. What is the difference between spectral and luminosity classification?

Spectral classification is based on the temperature and chemical composition of stars, while luminosity classification is based on the brightness or luminosity of stars. Luminosity classification is denoted by Roman numerals I-VII, with I being the brightest and VII being the dimmest.

4. What can we learn from a star's spectral and luminosity classification?

From a star's spectral classification, we can determine its temperature, chemical composition, and evolutionary stage. Luminosity classification gives us information about a star's size, mass, and overall brightness. This information can help us understand the life cycle of stars and their place in the universe.

5. How has spectral and luminosity classification evolved over time?

Spectral classification has evolved from a basic letter code system to a more detailed and precise method using spectroscopy. Luminosity classification has also evolved to include subcategories for more accurate measurements. Technology advancements have allowed for more accurate and detailed classification of stars, leading to a better understanding of the universe.