Specific Heat homework problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem where a 215-g sample of a substance is heated to 330°C and then placed in a calorimeter with 105-g aluminum, 165-g water, and a 17-g glass thermometer at 12.5°C. The final temperature of the system is 35.0°C and the specific heat capacities of the glass, aluminum, and water are given. The question is to determine the specific heat of the substance. The conversation discusses the proper way to write the equation for conservation of energy and clarifies the role of the initial and final temperatures in the calculation.
Jeylan
A 215-g sample of a substance is heated to 330°C and then plunged into a 105-g aluminum calorimeter cup containing 165 g of water and a 17-g glass thermometer at 12.5°C. The final temperature is 35.0°C. What is the specific heat of the substance? (Assume no water boils away.)
Please, can anybody tell me if I'm doing this right? I got to the certain moment and then I got stock. Heelp! c(glass)=0.84, c(aluminum)=0.900, c(water)=4.2 J/g*C

Tinitial (aluminum)=Tinitial (water)=Tinitial (glass thermometr)=12.5 C?
And Tfinal (al)=Tf(water)=Tf(glass)=35C?
Q(substance)=Q(aluminum)+Q(water)+Q(glass)
Q=mc*(Tf-Ti)
But what is the Tinitial for the substance? We know only 330C and this is final?
215*c*(330-Ti)=105*0.900*(35-12.5)+165*4.2*(35-12.5)*17*0.84*(35-12.5)

Physics news on Phys.org
But what is the Tinitial for the substance? We know only 330C and this is final?

The 330 degrees is the initial temperature of the substance. When it is placed in the calorimeter its temperature will come to 35 degrees since the system is in equilibrium.

So, everything else is right? Then change of temperature is equal to 330-35? Or 35-330? And then I just calculate c from the equation?
thanks for help!

Then change of temperature is equal to 330-35? Or 35-330?
If you define the change in temperature as ∆T = Tf - Ti , which do you think it is?
So, everything else is right?
I think your terms are OK, but just remember that the heat lost by the substance equals the heat gained by the water+aluminum+glass.

Thank you! That's why it's going to be minus! I just got it!

Well it shouldn't be minus, specific heat capacity can't be negative! What I meant was that
(heat lost by the substance) = - (heat gained by water+aluminum+glass).
This is the proper way to write your equation (conservation of energy applies). So if you put the minus in your answer will come out positive, as it should.

You're welcome, by the way. :smile:

Related to Specific Heat homework problem

What is specific heat?

Specific heat is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius.

How is specific heat measured?

Specific heat is typically measured in units of joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C) or calories per gram per degree Celsius (cal/g°C).

Why is specific heat important?

Specific heat is important because it helps us understand how different substances respond to changes in temperature and how much energy is required to change their temperature.

How is specific heat used in real life?

Specific heat is used in a variety of industries, including cooking, engineering, and materials science. It is also used in calculating the energy needs of buildings and determining the best materials for insulation.

What factors can affect the specific heat of a substance?

The specific heat of a substance can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the state of the substance (solid, liquid, or gas).