Heat Capacities Given Equation of State

In summary, we are given an equation of state that relates volume, pressure, and temperature with constants V1, T1, and P1. We are asked to derive an equivalent equation for P in terms of V and T, calculate the entropy of the system up to a constant using the given heat capacity, and find the heat capacity at constant pressure. Starting with a simple calculation, we obtain an equation for P in terms of T and V. Using heat and heat capacity definitions, we find the entropy of the system to be a function of temperature and a constant. Finally, we use Maxwell's relations to obtain an expression for the heat capacity at constant pressure, which includes terms from the given equation of state.
Yoni V

Homework Statement

Given the equation of state ##V(P,T)=V_1\cdot exp(\frac{T}{T_1}-\frac{P}{P_1})## where ##V_1\;,T_1\;,P_1## are constants:
a. derive an equivalent equation ##P(V,T)##;
b. given ##C_V=DT^3## where D is a const, calculate the entropy of the system ##s(V,T)## up to a const;
c. find heat capacity ##C_P##.

Homework Equations

Definitions of heat and heat capacities.
First law? Enthalpy?

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting with a, we get via a simple calculation ##P(V,T)=P_1\cdot (\frac{T}{T_1}-ln(\frac{V}{V_1}))##.
Then, using heat and heat cap. definitions we get
$$ds=dQ/T=CdT/T$$$$\Rightarrow (\frac{\partial S}{\partial T})_V = \frac{C_V}{T} = DT^2$$$$\Rightarrow s = \frac{1}{3}DT^3 + S_0$$
Of this step I'm not entirely sure. It looks okay, but s is not a function of the volume, and I think I need that dependence to work out ##C_P##. So this is where I'm stuck.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yoni V said:

Homework Statement

Given the equation of state ##V(P,T)=V_1\cdot exp(\frac{T}{T_1}-\frac{P}{P_1})## where ##V_1\;,T_1\;,P_1## are constants:
a. derive an equivalent equation ##P(V,T)##;
b. given ##C_V=DT^3## where D is a const, calculate the entropy of the system ##s(V,T)## up to a const;
c. find heat capacity ##C_P##.

Homework Equations

Definitions of heat and heat capacities.
First law? Enthalpy?

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting with a, we get via a simple calculation ##P(V,T)=P_1\cdot (\frac{T}{T_1}-ln(\frac{V}{V_1}))##.
Then, using heat and heat cap. definitions we get
$$ds=dQ/T=CdT/T$$$$\Rightarrow (\frac{\partial S}{\partial T})_V = \frac{C_V}{T} = DT^2$$$$\Rightarrow s = \frac{1}{3}DT^3 + S_0$$
Of this step I'm not entirely sure. It looks okay, but s is not a function of the volume
What is the partial derivative of entropy with respect to volume at constant temperature?

Hmm... from Maxwell's relations $$(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V})_T = (\frac{\partial P}{\partial T})_V$$
which equals ##\frac{P_1}{T_1}## from the given equation of state, and then $$s = \frac{P_1}{T_1}V + s_0'$$
The heat cap. is given by ##C_P = T(\frac{\partial s}{\partial T})_P##.
I could try rewriting $$(\frac{\partial s}{\partial T})_P = -\frac{(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T})_s}{(\frac{\partial P}{\partial s})_T} = -\frac{(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V})_P}{(\frac{\partial P}{\partial s})_T}$$
But I can't see how these changes in variables get me where I want to go.
Maybe I can somehow relate ##s_0## to ##s_0'##, but it doesn't seem relevant...

Yoni V said:
Hmm... from Maxwell's relations $$(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V})_T = (\frac{\partial P}{\partial T})_V$$
which equals ##\frac{P_1}{T_1}## from the given equation of state, and then $$s = \frac{P_1}{T_1}V + s_0'$$
What happened to the DT3/3?

Ok, I think I got it while writing this reply. What I started typing is:
It's part of the constant of integration ##s_0'##, or if we neglect a constant that has nothing to do with the temp. and volume, it is exactly ##s_0'##.
This I understand, but even writing it explicitly, I'm not sure on how to differentiate the entropy with respect to the temp. while holding P const, as V is free to change to keep the given pressure constant.

But..! We are given V in terms of both T and P. So plugging it to s, we finally get $$s = \frac{1}{3}DT^3 + \frac{P_1}{T_1}(
V_1⋅exp(\frac{T}{T_1}−\frac{P}{P_1}))+s_0$$ where ##s_0## is now a true constant that we can entirely ignore and differentiate happily to get $$C_P = T(\frac{\partial s}{\partial T})_P = DT^3 + \frac{P_1V_1T}{T_1^2}exp(\frac{T}{T_1}-\frac{P}{P_1})$$
Is that correct?!
And thank you very much!

Yoni V said:
Ok, I think I got it while writing this reply. What I started typing is:
It's part of the constant of integration ##s_0'##, or if we neglect a constant that has nothing to do with the temp. and volume, it is exactly ##s_0'##.
This I understand, but even writing it explicitly, I'm not sure on how to differentiate the entropy with respect to the temp. while holding P const, as V is free to change to keep the given pressure constant.

But..! We are given V in terms of both T and P. So plugging it to s, we finally get $$s = \frac{1}{3}DT^3 + \frac{P_1}{T_1}(
V_1⋅exp(\frac{T}{T_1}−\frac{P}{P_1}))+s_0$$ where ##s_0## is now a true constant that we can entirely ignore and differentiate happily to get $$C_P = T(\frac{\partial s}{\partial T})_P = DT^3 + \frac{P_1V_1T}{T_1^2}exp(\frac{T}{T_1}-\frac{P}{P_1})$$
Is that correct?!
And thank you very much!
Correct. Nice job.

Related to Heat Capacities Given Equation of State

1. What is the equation of state for heat capacities?

The equation of state for heat capacities is a mathematical relationship that describes the relationship between temperature, pressure, and volume for a given substance.

2. How is heat capacity determined from the equation of state?

Heat capacity can be determined from the equation of state by taking the partial derivative of the internal energy with respect to temperature, keeping pressure and volume constant.

3. Can the equation of state be used for all substances?

No, the equation of state is specific to each substance and may differ based on its molecular structure and properties.

4. How does the equation of state affect the behavior of heat capacities?

The equation of state plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of heat capacities. It can provide information about the heat capacity at different temperatures and pressures, and can also be used to calculate changes in heat capacity during a process.

5. Is the equation of state for heat capacities a reliable tool for predicting behavior?

The equation of state is a widely accepted and reliable tool for predicting the behavior of heat capacities. However, it may not be accurate in extreme conditions or for substances that deviate from ideal behavior.