Specific and latent heat question

In summary, at 100 degrees Celsius, steam is bubbled into 250 cm3 of water at room temperature. The mass of steam is 1.72 kg. However, if one uses the density of water at 1 g/cm3, the one will obtain a greater value of the mass of steam.
endeavor
Steam at 100 degrees Celsius is bubbled into 250 cm3 of water at room temperature in a calorimeter cup. How much steam will have been added when the water in the cup is at 60 degrees Celsius? (Ignore the effect of the cup.)

So I did:
-(Heat lost by steam) = Heat gained by water
msteamLvap + msteamc(40[degrees]C) = mwaterc(40[degrees]C), where c = specific heat of water
solving for msteam, i get 1.72 * 10^-2 kg.

But the answer is 1.79 * 10^-2 kg. What's wrong with my calculation?

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears you are using 20°C for room temperature?

Normally room temperature is 25°C (77°F) is room temperature.

What values did you use for latent heat of vaporization, specific heat of water, and density of water?

I used:
room temperature = 20°C
latent heat of vaporization = 540 kcal/kg
specific heat of water = 1 kcal/kg
density of water = 1g/cm3, so the mass of water = 0.250kg

I just tried 25°C, but it doesn't seem to work...

I've always used specific heat in in terms of Joules.

If one uses the density of water at 1 g/cm3, the one will obtain

m (steam) = 250/(540+40) = 17.2 g or 0.0172 kg.

However, if one corrects for density of water, one will obtain a greater value of the mass of steam.

Density of water at 40°C = 0.9922 g/cc

Density of water at 60°C = 0.9832 g/cc

Density of water at 80°C = 0.9718 g/cc

Density of water at 100°C = 0.958 g/cc.

Using an average value of 0.9922 g/cc for the water heating from 20-60°C and using 0.09718 g/cc for water cooling from 100-60°C, I obtained about 17.6 g or 0.0176 kg of steam.

Here is a reference for water properties -
http://www.thermexcel.com/english/tables/eau_atm.htm (0-100°C)

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
I've always used specific heat in in terms of Joules.
Yeah, but I thought it'd be easier if I just used kcal because the answer was not going be in terms of heat.

I don't know what my book did, but my answer is close enough for me. Probably what happened was something like you said Astronuc...

i am facing problem while understanding the question? Here are my few questions regarding to this particular problem?

What is the importance of room temprature?
I understand only the things from this problem is that 17.2 gram heat is given to the water at 60 degree celsius to make it at 100 degree C steam,
if i am right than what is the importance of room temprature, It's my introduction to thermodynamics so asking such a basic question, with kind regards

i am facing problem while understanding the question? Here are my few questions regarding to this particular problem?

What is the importance of room temprature?
I understand only the things from this problem is that 17.2 gram heat is given to the water at 60 degree celsius to make it at 100 degree C steam,
if i am right than what is the importance of room temprature, It's my introduction to thermodynamics so asking such a basic question, with kind regards, waiting for your kind reply.
How one can calculate this problem, becauses there is one thing is in my mind i.e lass of conservation of mass, so what should be the mass of steam at 100 degree Celsius,
Thankyou

Related to Specific and latent heat question

1. What is specific heat and how is it different from latent heat?

Specific heat refers to the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of one unit mass of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is a measure of the substance's ability to store thermal energy. Latent heat, on the other hand, is the amount of heat absorbed or released during a phase change (e.g. melting, boiling) without a change in temperature. In other words, specific heat deals with temperature changes, while latent heat deals with phase changes.

2. How is specific heat and latent heat measured?

Specific heat is typically measured in units of joules per kilogram per degree Celsius (J/kg°C) or in calories per gram per degree Celsius (cal/g°C). Latent heat is measured in units of joules per kilogram (J/kg) or in calories per gram (cal/g). These measurements can be obtained through experiments using calorimeters.

3. What factors affect the specific heat and latent heat of a substance?

The specific heat of a substance is affected by its mass, temperature, and chemical composition. For example, substances with a higher mass or higher temperature generally have a higher specific heat. The latent heat of a substance is affected by the strength of intermolecular forces and the magnitude of the phase change. Different substances have different latent heat values due to variations in their molecular structure.

4. Why is the concept of specific heat and latent heat important in thermodynamics?

Specific heat and latent heat are important concepts in thermodynamics because they help us understand how energy is transferred and stored in different substances. This is crucial in various applications, such as in designing efficient heating and cooling systems, understanding the Earth's climate, and predicting the behavior of materials under extreme conditions.

5. How can specific heat and latent heat be used in real-life situations?

The concepts of specific heat and latent heat have many practical applications. For example, they are used in cooking (specific heat helps determine cooking times and temperatures) and in HVAC systems (latent heat is involved in the conversion of refrigerants). They are also important in industries that involve phase changes (e.g. melting and solidifying metals). Additionally, specific heat and latent heat play a crucial role in understanding weather patterns and climate change.