Special relativity where am I going wrong?

In summary, the problem involves finding the probe's velocity relative to Earth when a spaceship is moving away from Earth at 0.9c and fires the probe in the same direction at 0.7c. The Lorentz velocity transformation equation is used to solve for the probe's velocity, but a mistake is made in rearranging the equation. The correct answer is 0.982c.
Kara386

Homework Statement

A spaceship moves away from Earth at 0.9c and fires a probe in the same direction as its motion at 0.7c. What is the probe's velocity relative to Earth?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The Lorentz velocity transformation is ##v_x' = \frac{v_x - u}{1-\frac{uv}{c^2}}##, and since in this case we want to find ##v_x## this can be rearranged to get
##v_x = v_x' \left(1-\frac{uv_x}{c^2}\right) + u##
So then if I substitute in numbers, I use ##v_x' = 0.7c## and ##u=0.9c##, which gives me an answer greater than the speed of light, so that's wrong.

This is a worked example in a textbook and they've also used ##v_x'=0.7c## and ##u=0.9c## so I have no idea why that isn't working. They're using a different form of the equation, all one fraction and plus on the denominator, not ##-\frac{uv_x}{c^2}##. But then shouldn't rearranging the way I have work as well?

The actual answer should be 0.982c. Where am I going wrong? Did I rearrange wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes I did rearrange wrong. Missed the fact that the thing in the brackets isn't ##v_x'## so I haven't actually made ##v_x## the subject. Stupid mistake, sorry. It took me typing it up to spot that!

Related to Special relativity where am I going wrong?

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how objects behave at high speeds and in the presence of strong gravitational fields. It is based on two main principles: the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

2. What are the key concepts of special relativity?

The key concepts of special relativity include time dilation, length contraction, the relativity of simultaneity, and the equivalence of mass and energy (expressed by the famous equation E=mc²). These concepts fundamentally change our understanding of time, space, and mass, and have been experimentally verified in numerous experiments.

3. How does special relativity impact our daily lives?

While special relativity is primarily applied to objects moving at extremely high speeds or in strong gravitational fields, its effects can be observed in our daily lives. For example, GPS satellites use special relativity to keep accurate time, as their clocks need to be adjusted to account for the time dilation caused by their high speeds. Special relativity also plays a role in particle accelerators, nuclear reactors, and other modern technologies.

4. What are the common misconceptions about special relativity?

One common misconception is that special relativity only applies to objects moving at or near the speed of light. In reality, the effects of special relativity can be observed even at much slower speeds. Another misconception is that special relativity contradicts Newton's laws of motion. While special relativity may appear to contradict some of our everyday experiences, it has been extensively tested and has consistently been found to accurately describe the behavior of objects at high speeds.

5. How does special relativity relate to general relativity?

Special relativity is a special case of general relativity, which is a more comprehensive theory of gravity developed by Einstein. While special relativity only deals with objects in uniform motion, general relativity extends this to include the effects of gravity. In other words, general relativity combines special relativity with the theory of gravity, resulting in a more complete understanding of the universe.