Special relativity - time dilation

In summary, time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of special relativity, where time passes slower for objects that are moving at high speeds compared to objects that are at rest. This occurs because the speed of light is constant in all reference frames, causing a slower passage of time for objects moving at high speeds due to the stretching of space-time. The formula for calculating time dilation is t' = t / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where t' is the observed time, t is the rest time, v is the velocity of the moving object, and c is the speed of light. Real-world examples of time dilation include the "twin paradox" where one twin travels at high speeds while the
Achmed
Consider two events that take place at the origin of the frame of an inertial observer [itex] O' [/itex]. At times [itex] t_1 ' = 0 [/itex] and [itex] t_2 ' = T [/itex]. [itex] O' [/itex] moves with a constant speed [itex] v [/itex] w.r.t. another inertial observer [itex] O [/itex].

1. Use the Lorentz-transformations to show that these events occur at [itex] x=vt [/itex] in the frame of [itex] O [/itex], at the times [itex] t_1 = 0 [/itex] and [itex] t_2 = \gamma T[/itex]. Show furthermore that the events do not occur at the same place in [itex] O [/itex], but at [itex] x_1=0 [/itex] and [itex] x_2 = \gamma vT [/itex].

My attempt below. I am very confused, so I have no idea if what I'm doing is even remotely correct:

Since both events take place at the origin of [itex] S' [/itex], we get that [itex] x' = 0 [/itex]. From here it follows using the Lorentz transformation that [itex] x=vt [/itex].

After this the confusion starts. If we use the Lorentz transformation for time, and we use [itex] t'_1 = 0 [/itex], we actually get [itex] t_1 = \dfrac{vx}{c^2} [/itex]. But this doesn't correspond with what they ask, right? If we do the same for [itex]t_2' = T [/itex], we get the very same problem. What am I doing incorrectly here?

Using the same tactic above, if I fill in [itex] x' = 0 [/itex] and [itex] t_1 = 0 [/itex] and [itex] t_2 = \gamma T [/itex], I do get the correct answers for [itex] x_1 [/itex] and [itex] x_2 [/itex]! So, that confuses me..

Physics news on Phys.org
You did not do something wrong. It is just that you got a relation between two unknowns, ##x_1## and ##t_1## (the x coordinate corresponding to ##t_1## should be ##x_1##). In order to find another equation to help you, use what you just derived from the Lorentz transformation of x, it must be true in particular for ##t_1## and ##x_1##.

The alternative is to use the inverse Lorentz transformations from the start, what you are doing essentially corresponds to inverting the transform anyway.

For future reference, you should also leave the homework template when posting your question. It helps ordering your thoughts and structure the post so that we can grasp your problem quicker.

Related to Special relativity - time dilation

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of special relativity, where time passes slower for objects that are moving at high speeds compared to objects that are at rest.

How does time dilation occur?

Time dilation occurs because the speed of light is constant in all reference frames. When an object moves at high speeds, it experiences a slower passage of time due to the stretching of space-time.

What is the formula for calculating time dilation?

The formula for time dilation is t' = t / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where t' is the observed time, t is the rest time, v is the velocity of the moving object, and c is the speed of light.

What are some real-world examples of time dilation?

One of the most well-known examples of time dilation is the famous "twin paradox" where one twin travels at high speeds in a spaceship while the other twin stays on Earth. The twin in the spaceship will experience a slower passage of time, causing them to age slower than the twin on Earth.

Does time dilation have any practical applications?

Yes, time dilation has practical applications in various fields such as GPS technology, particle accelerators, and satellite communications. It is also a fundamental concept in modern physics and has been proven through numerous experiments.