Special relativity the EM stress energy tensor

In summary, the conversation discusses using the stress energy tensor of the em field to show that it has a zero trace. The solution involves multiplying the tensor by the minkowski metric and using the antisymmetry properties of the faraday tensor. The conversation also addresses the difference between \eta^{\mu\nu} and \eta^\mu{}_\nu and how it relates to the trace of the metric.
peterjaybee

Homework Statement

Using the expression below for the stress energy tensor of the em field, show that it has zero trace.

Homework Equations

[tex]T^{\mu\nu}=F^{\mu}_{ \alpha}F^{\alpha\nu}+\frac{1}{4}\eta^{\mu\nu}F_{\beta\gamma}F^{\beta\gamma}[/tex]

F is the faraday tensor and eta is the minkowski metric.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by trying to calculate [tex]T^{00}[/tex] with the aim of then calculating the other diagonal components i.e. 11, 22 and 33. But I did not get anywhere. I couldn't get my head around the summations.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you could definitely solve it that way, but you would be creating a lot of unnecessary work. Think of it this way, the trace of your tensor is given by:

[tex]\eta_{\mu\nu}T^{\mu \nu} = T[/tex]

So just multiply the right side by the minkowski metric. You will also notice that:

[tex]\eta_{\mu \nu} \eta^{\mu \nu} = 4[/tex]

for 4 dimensions (3 space and 1 time).

Thanks, for your reply. I think I can get the answer but there is one bit I just don't get. Ill come back to that at the end.

I get
[tex]\eta_{\mu\nu}T^{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu}_{ \alpha}F^{\alpha\nu}+\frac{1}{4}\eta_{\mu\nu}\eta^{\mu\nu}F_{\beta\gamma}F^{\beta\gamma}[/tex]

[tex]=F_{ \nu\alpha}F^{\alpha\nu}+F_{\beta\gamma}F^{\beta\gamma}[/tex]

Then using the antisymetry properties of the faraday tensor this can be written as

[tex]=-F_{\alpha\nu}F^{\alpha\nu}+F_{\beta\gamma}F^{\beta\gamma}[/tex]

This is then zero because the the indicies are being summed over and as such are dummy indicies implying we can change [tex]\beta[/tex] and [tex]\gamma[/tex] to [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\nu[/tex], thus the LHS goes to zero.

My issue with this is I do not understand why multiplying the stress energy tensor by the metric gives the trace of the metric.

If you had not told me that this gives the trace i would have said that
[tex]\eta_{\mu\nu}T^{\mu\nu}=T_{\nu}^{\nu}[/tex]
which I assume is another matrix as opposed to the trace (i.e. a number).

It is the same with the metric multiplication
[tex]\eta_{\mu\nu}\eta^{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\nu}^{\nu}[/tex]
Again I cannot see how this gives 4.

I think I am missing some key thing in my understanding of the topic that will make this obvious.

And [itex]T_{\nu}^{\nu}=T_{0}^{0}+T_{1}^{1}+T_{2}^{2}+T_{3}^{3}[/itex], which is the summation of all diagonal entries, which is the definition of the...?

ok, but if that is the case how do you get
[tex]\eta_{\mu\nu}\eta^{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\nu}^{\nu}[/tex]=4

surely because [tex]\eta^{\mu\nu}=diag(1,-1,-1,-1)[/tex]

then

[tex]\eta_{\nu}^{\nu}=-2[/tex]

There's a difference between [itex]\eta^{\mu\nu}[/itex] and [itex]\eta^\mu{}_\nu = \eta^{\mu a}\eta_{a\nu}[/itex]. The latter is represented by the identity matrix.

See also the first comment in this post, and don't forget the definition of matrix multiplication.

Related to Special relativity the EM stress energy tensor

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the relationship between space and time in the presence of gravity. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is always constant.

2. What is the EM stress energy tensor?

The EM stress energy tensor, also known as the electromagnetic stress-energy-momentum tensor, is a mathematical construct used in physics to describe the distribution of energy, momentum, and stress in the electromagnetic field. It is a 4x4 matrix that combines the components of the electromagnetic field with the components of the spacetime metric.

3. How is special relativity related to the EM stress energy tensor?

Special relativity is the foundation of the EM stress energy tensor. It provides the framework for understanding the relationship between energy, momentum, and spacetime in the presence of a changing electromagnetic field. The EM stress energy tensor is used in special relativity to calculate the energy and momentum density of the electromagnetic field.

4. What is the significance of the EM stress energy tensor?

The EM stress energy tensor is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of the electromagnetic field and its interactions with matter in terms of energy and momentum. It is also crucial in the development of theories such as electromagnetism and quantum field theory.

5. How is the EM stress energy tensor used in practical applications?

The EM stress energy tensor is used in practical applications such as electromagnetic simulations and the development of technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators. It is also used in theoretical research to study the behavior of electromagnetic fields in extreme conditions, such as black holes and the early universe.