Special relativity - spaceship speed and position

In summary, special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time in a way that is consistent with the laws of physics. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant for all observers. This theory affects spaceships traveling at high speeds by causing time to pass slower, making them appear shorter and heavier. The theory of time dilation in special relativity predicts that time passes slower for objects moving at high speeds. This is demonstrated in the twin paradox, where one twin travels at high speeds and ages less than their twin on Earth. According to special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed that any object can travel,
FranzDiCoccio
Hi,

a friend today teased me with the following SR problem. I worked out a solution
but I'm not so confident about my SR. Should I better brush up on it?

Homework Statement

So there's this spaceship traveling at some unknown constant speed, getting away from Earth. It has two mirrors on it, one at the front and one at the rear.
Earth sends two simultaneous light pulses which are reflected by the two mirrors
and get back to Earth after times 2 T1 and 2 T2.
Knowing these times and the length L of the spaceship we should evaluate the
speed v and the distance of the spaceship (say at the time we receive the second signal).

Homework Equations

The only tricky point is time dilation, in my opinion.

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is what I would do to determine the speed v. When this is known the distance would simply be d = T2 (c + v).

I'd say that the first pulse hits the rear mirror at time T1. At this time the second pulse is at the rear of the ship as well. This second pulse hits the front mirror at time T2, so that t = T2-T1 is the time it takes to go from the rear to the front of the ship.
All of this in the reference frame of the earth.
Now from the point of view of the spaceship the second pulse takes a time t' = L/c in covering the length of the ship. The times t and t' should be related by time dilation:

t = t' / sqrt(1-v^2/c^2).

In summary I get

(T2-T1)^2 = L^2/(c^2-v^2)

which can be solved for v.

Seems correct to me, but my friend and other people put forward tricky arguments and I'm not sure any more of my solution.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
in advance.Your solution is correct! Time dilation is indeed a tricky concept, but you seem to have applied it correctly here. Since you are confident in your solution, there is no need for you to brush up on SR. However, if you would like to go over the problem with someone else to make sure, you could always ask a professor or tutor for help.

Related to Special relativity - spaceship speed and position

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time in a way that is consistent with the laws of physics. It explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and how the speed of light is constant for all observers.

2. How does special relativity affect spaceships traveling at high speeds?

Special relativity states that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases, time slows down, and lengths contract in the direction of motion. This means that for spaceships traveling at high speeds, time will pass slower and they will appear to be shorter and heavier to an observer on Earth.

3. What is the theory of time dilation in special relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by special relativity that states that time passes slower for objects that are moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This means that astronauts on a spaceship traveling at close to the speed of light would experience time passing slower compared to someone on Earth.

4. How does special relativity explain the twin paradox?

The twin paradox is a thought experiment that illustrates the effects of time dilation in special relativity. It involves one twin staying on Earth while the other travels in a spaceship at high speeds. When the traveling twin returns, they would have aged less than the twin on Earth due to the effects of time dilation.

5. Can objects travel faster than the speed of light in special relativity?

No, according to special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass would become infinite, making it impossible to accelerate any further. This is known as the "cosmic speed limit" and is a fundamental principle in special relativity.