Special relativity - sending a light signal from the rear of spaceship

In summary: It is true that ##\gamma## is a function of ##u##, but i don't know how to bust it out of this equation. Do i need another eq?No, you do not need another equation.
71GA

Homework Statement

Spaceship is ##\scriptsize100m## long in its proper coordinate system and is moving relative to Earth. Astronaut sends a light signal from the rear part of the spaceship towards the front part. It seems to an observer on Earth, that a light signal needed ##\scriptsize 0.57\mu s##. What is the relative speed ##\scriptsize u## of the spaceship compared to Earth.

Homework Equations

• Lorentz transformations,
  • time dilation,
  • length contraction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I set spaceship's rear end in an origin of ##\scriptsize x'y'## and the observer on Earth in an origin of ##\scriptsize xy##. The problem states that length ##\scriptsize 100m## is in the proper coordinate system, so i know that ##\scriptsize \Delta x' = 100m \equiv \ell## (i ll denote proper length using ##\ell##). I also know that observer on Earth measured ##\scriptsize \Delta t = 0.56\mu s##.

Time events do not happen on the same place for neither of the observers (astronaut nor the observer on Earth), so i don't know if the time dilation eq. is reliable enough to calculate ##\scriptsize \gamma## and ##\scriptsize u ## afterwards. Can you confirm this please?

The speed of light is constant so:
\begin{align}
c=const.\quad
\left\{
\begin{aligned}
c&=\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t} \xrightarrow{\text{i calculate $\Delta x$}} \Delta x = c \Delta t = 2.99\cdot10^{8}\tfrac{m}{s} \cdot 0.56 \cdot 10^{-6} s = 173.42m\\
c&=\frac{\Delta x'}{\Delta t'} \xrightarrow{\text{i calculate $\Delta t'$}} \Delta t' = \frac{\Delta x'}{c} = \frac{100m}{2.99\cdot 10^8 \tfrac{m}{s}} = 3.34\cdot10^{-7}m
\end{aligned}
\right.
\end{align}

1st it is weird to me that the length ##\scriptsize \Delta x > \Delta x'##. Especially because the problem states that ##\scriptsize \Delta x' \equiv \ell## which indicates that it must hold ##\scriptsize \Delta x' = \gamma \Delta x##. But it doesnt:

\begin{align}
\Delta x' &= \gamma \Delta x \xleftarrow{\text{because $\gamma \geq 1 \longrightarrow \Delta x'>\Delta x$}}\\
\gamma &= \frac{\Delta x'}{\Delta x}\\
\gamma &= \frac{100m}{173.42m}\\
\gamma &= 0.57
\end{align}

The ##\scriptsize \gamma## above is weird and i don't know how to continue to calculete the right ##\scriptsize u##. Please I need some explanation on this. Where did i do anything wrong? I think using the invariant interval ##\scriptsize \Delta x^2 - (c\Delta t)^2## could solve the problem fast, but please show me how to solve this using the Lorentz transformations or time dilation / length contraction equations.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to interpret the meaning of the Δx that you calculated. Can you see why it's not the length of the spaceship as measured in the Earth frame?

TSny said:
You need to interpret the meaning of the Δx that you calculated. Can you see why it's not the length of the spaceship as measured in the Earth frame?

Well i know only that in the Earth frame (##\scriptsize xy##) the ship is mooving. If it stood still in the ##\scriptsize xy## it would be ##\scriptsize 100m## long (like it is for an observer in the system ##\scriptsize x'y'## mooving with the ship). But it is moving and it is bizarre to me that i get a length dilation instead of a length contraction... I can't explain this to myself.

Maybe the problem gives wrong data and the time ##\scriptsize \Delta t = 0.58\mu s## is just too large... Mistake? From my perspective it may be, but i am not an expert and am therefore not sure...

Last edited:
Δx is the distance measured between two events in the Earth frame. What are those two events? Draw a sketch showing the location of the two events in the Earth frame and the location of the spaceship for each of the two events.

Note that in Newtonian mechanics Δx would also be expected to be greater Δx'.

Last edited:
TSny said:
Δx is the distance measured between two events in the Earth frame. What are those two events? Draw a sketch showing the location of the two events in the Earth frame and the location of the spaceship for each of the two events.

Note that in Newtonian mechanics Δx would also be expected to be greater Δx'.

Are you trying to say that ##\Delta x=u\Delta t + \gamma \Delta x'## ? If this is the case then i get the equation below:

\begin{align}
c&=\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}\\
c&=\frac{u\Delta t + \gamma \Delta x'}{\Delta t}\\
c&= u + \gamma \frac{\Delta x'}{\Delta t}
\end{align}

It is true that ##\gamma## is a function of ##u##, but i don't know how to bust it out of this equation. Do i need another eq?

I did solve this case using 4 lorentz transformations. From all of the transformations i substracted ##\gamma u## which is a mixed part and is hard to calculate with. If i combined only Lorentz transformations only i could only get ##\Delta x## out of it. But if i combined Lorentz transformations with reverse Lorentz transformations i could get ##\gamma##. Then i could calculate ##u=0.49c##.

71GA said:
Are you trying to say that ##\Delta x=u\Delta t + \gamma \Delta x'## ?

Almost. In the Earth frame, the ship is contracted. So, did you get the gamma factor in the right place in the last term?

71GA said:
I did solve this case using 4 lorentz transformations. From all of the transformations i substracted ##\gamma u## which is a mixed part and is hard to calculate with. If i combined only Lorentz transformations only i could only get ##\Delta x## out of it. But if i combined Lorentz transformations with reverse Lorentz transformations i could get ##\gamma##. Then i could calculate ##u=0.49c##.

I think .49c is the right answer.

TSny said:
Almost. In the Earth frame, the ship is contracted. So, did you get the gamma factor in the right place in the last term?

What exactly should i get? Please post an equation.

How did you get the last term in ##\Delta x=u\Delta t + \gamma \Delta x'##? The first term is how far the spaceship travels relative to the earth. What does the last term represent?

TSny said:
How did you get the last term in ##\Delta x=u\Delta t + \gamma \Delta x'##? The first term is how far the spaceship travels relative to the earth. What does the last term represent?

Well tha last term ##\Delta x'## represents the length of a moving ship in coordinate system ##xy##. Should there be no ##\gamma##?

TSny said:

The last term is supposed to be the length of a mooving spaceship which is mooving in an ##xy##. I think i know what u mean... Should it be like this:

\begin{align}
\Delta x &= u \Delta t + \Delta x'\\
\Delta x &= u \Delta t + \frac{\Delta x}{\gamma}
\end{align}

?

71GA said:
Should it be like this:

\begin{align}
\Delta x &= u \Delta t + \Delta x'\\
\Delta x &= u \Delta t + \frac{\Delta x}{\gamma}
\end{align}

?

Yes. That's [STRIKE]correct[/STRIKE]. See if you can solve this for u.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't notice that there is still an error in what you wrote for the last term on the right. Δx on the left is how far the light signal travels relative to the Earth frame. That should equal the distance the ship travels relative to the Earth (uΔt) plus the length of the ship as measured in the earth frame. So, Δx = uΔt + L where L is length of ship as measured in the Earth frame. How can you express L in terms of the length of the ship as measured in the ship frame?

Last edited:
TSny said:
Yes. That's [STRIKE]correct[/STRIKE]. See if you can solve this for u.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't notice that there is still an error in what you wrote for the last term on the right. Δx on the left is how far the light signal travels relative to the Earth frame. That should equal the distance the ship travels relative to the Earth (uΔt) plus the length of the ship as measured in the earth frame. So, Δx = uΔt + L where L is length of ship as measured in the Earth frame. How can you express L in terms of the length of the ship as measured in the ship frame?

Well length of the ship in the ships frame is equal to the proper length ##\scriptsize \ell=100m## if we measure this distance from the Earth while the ship is mooving we can write down:

$$\Delta x = u\Delta t + \frac{\ell}{\gamma}$$

Is this now ok? I think i was confused about ##\scriptsize \Delta x## as i thought it is a length, but it is NOT it is distance between events! Even in the Lorentz transformations this is the case! And i wasn't even using ##\ell## so far so i better start...

71GA said:
Well length of the ship in the ships frame is equal to the proper length ##\scriptsize \ell=100m## if we measure this distance from the Earth while the ship is mooving we can write down:

$$\Delta x = u\Delta t + \frac{\ell}{\gamma}$$

That looks good.

Thank you.

Related to Special relativity - sending a light signal from the rear of spaceship

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time. It explains how space and time are relative and can be affected by the speed and motion of an observer.

How does special relativity apply to sending a light signal from the rear of a spaceship?

Special relativity states that the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference. This means that no matter how fast an observer is moving, they will always measure the speed of light to be the same. Therefore, if a light signal is sent from the rear of a spaceship traveling at a high speed, it will still move away from the ship at the speed of light according to both the observer on the spaceship and an observer on Earth.

What is the significance of sending a light signal from the rear of a spaceship in special relativity?

This scenario is often used in thought experiments to illustrate the concepts of relativity, particularly the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion. It also helps to demonstrate the concept of time dilation, where time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds.

Is it possible for an object to travel faster than the speed of light in special relativity?

No, according to special relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase infinitely, making it impossible to accelerate to or beyond the speed of light.

Can special relativity be proven experimentally?

Yes, special relativity has been extensively tested and has been proven to accurately describe the behavior of objects moving at high speeds. Some famous experiments include the Michelson-Morley experiment, which confirmed the constancy of the speed of light, and the Hafele-Keating experiment, which demonstrated the effects of time dilation.