Special Relativity - Relativistic Dynamics

In summary, the author is trying to derive an expression for what is known as "relativistic mass". He has provided an expression for the Lorentz Velocity Transformation, which can be used to find the mass of a particle. However, the numerator of the transformation equation (which is 2u) can only be obtained by considering the equation vx` = vx - u / (1 - vx.u/c^2), which is confusing due to the lack of a clear definition for vx' and vx.
malindenmoyer
I am trying to understand a section in a textbook I have regarding Special Relativity, specifically deriving an expression for what is known as "relativistic mass", in order to find an expression for "relativistic momentum". I have attached the pages in the book which are giving me trouble, more specifically, the paragraph I have highlighted in red. I understand everything before that, however I can't seem to understand what the paragraph is saying.

I have derived an expression for the Lorentz Velocity Transformation so I understand where the author is getting at, just don't exactly recognize how the numerator of the transformation equation is 2u assuming my derived expression is:

[tex]v_x=\frac{v_x^{'}+u}{1+\frac{u v_x^'}{c^2}}[/tex]

Can somebody restate what he is saying in the highlighted paragraph?

[PLAIN]http://people.tamu.edu/~malindenmoyer/tamu/special_relativity.png

Reference:

Taylor, J. G. Special Relativity. Oxford: Clarendon, 1975. Print.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
well, what i understand is that the expression for the Lorentz Velocity Transformation you provided gives the relationship between the velocities of a particle measured by two observers .. one of them in a O (just an example) frame, where he sees the particle moving with velocity vx, and the other one in the O` frame, where he sees the particle moving with vx` ..

so going back to your example:
lets say we are considering the particle on the left side ..

for an observer in the S frame (which equivalent to an observer in the O frame), this particle has velocity of U
and for an observer in the S` frame (which equivalent to an observer in the O` fram), it has a velocity of u

so using that expression for the Lorentz Velocity Transformation, you can see that vx is substituted with U and vx` is substituted with u, yielding to the equation in the text..

(thats what i understood), I hope it answers your question..

My only question now is that S' is moving to the left relative to S, and the particle on the left is moving to the right, both with velocity u. However, this implies that the numerator would essentially cancel out, as the signs are opposite. What am I missing?

i got your point now ..

(im not sure from my answer) .. but the only why to get the result they got is by considering this equation:

vx` = vx - u / (1 - vx.u/c^2), with vx` = U, vx = u, and u = -u ..

I hope I am not confusing you, but that what i can think of for now ..

I think that is the solution...it's a little confusing what to refer as vx' and vx...but I think I understand it now. Thanks!

i wished i could give a convincing explanation .. I hope other member would give better explanation for your question ..

Related to Special Relativity - Relativistic Dynamics

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein which describes the relationship between space and time in the presence of objects moving at high speeds. It is based on the principle that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the effects of motion on space and time, while general relativity takes into account the effects of gravity on the curvature of space and time. General relativity is considered a more complete and accurate theory, but special relativity is still used for most practical purposes.

3. How does special relativity impact our understanding of time and space?

Special relativity shows that time and space are relative concepts and can be affected by an observer's perspective and motion. This means that measurements of time and space can differ between two observers depending on their relative motion.

4. What is the famous equation derived from special relativity?

The famous equation derived from special relativity is E=mc², which describes the relationship between energy, mass, and the speed of light. It shows that mass can be converted into energy and vice versa, and that the speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe.

5. How is special relativity applied in modern technology?

Special relativity is applied in modern technology in various ways, such as in GPS systems, particle accelerators, and nuclear power plants. It is also used in the development of high-speed transportation systems, such as bullet trains and spacecraft.