Special Relativity - Lorentz Transformation & Matrices

In summary, the matrix transforming the coordinates of an event from the reference frame of observer A to the reference frame of observer C is a 1x1 matrix with the entries being m=1 and n=0.
Isaac Pepper

Homework Statement

There are three observers, all non accelerating. Observer B is moving at velocity vBA with respect to observer A. Observer C is moving at velocity vC B with respect to observer B. All three observers and all their relative velocities are directed along the same straight line. Calculate the matrix transforming the coordinates of an event from the reference frame of observer A to the reference frame of observer C. Comment of the form of the matrix

Homework Equations

Assuming normal velocities (so we can use Galilean formulae) : $$u = v + u'$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, if anyone could just explain what it is I need to do in this question please - I have not done Matrices yet in First Year Physics, but have looked up and understood how to use them (I think). I've never seen Matrices used in Relativity before.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

EDIT :: So perhaps the coordinates of an event could be written as follows : $$\binom{t}{x}$$
In the reference frame of observer A, observer C would be going at a velocity of $$V = Vcb+Vba$$
Therefore in the reference frame of observer C, observer A would appear to going at the same speed in the opposite direction : $$V = -(Vcb+Vba)$$

EDIT2 :: So I'm guessing that would mean $$x' = x-vt$$
$$t'=t$$
and $$\binom{t'}{x'}=\binom{t}{x-vt}$$
And we're looking for a matrix that would help us move from ##\binom{t'}{x'}## to ##\binom{t}{x}##
So $$\binom{t}{x-vt}=\begin{pmatrix}
m&n\\
l&p
\end{pmatrix}
\binom{t}{x}$$
Therefore $$mt+nx=t \rightarrow m=1, n=0$$
$$lt+px=x-vt \rightarrow p=1, l=-v$$
Finally, $$\begin{pmatrix}
m&n\\
l&p
\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
1&0\\
-v&1
\end{pmatrix}$$
Is that correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you using Galilean relativity instead of special relativity? The title of your thread suggests you should be using the latter.

To be honest, I got totally confused. The question that I'm given doesn't suggest that the observers are going at speeds close to the speed of light, so I'm not actually sure if I'm supposed to be using the Lorentz transformation or Galilean transformation :/

What you did is fine for Galilean relativity. The set up in the problem sounds like it's for special relativity to me.

Okay so I asked my academic tutor and since they're not moving at relativistic speeds, Galilean transformations are ok for this question, thank you !

Related to Special Relativity - Lorentz Transformation & Matrices

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905. It describes the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the motion of objects in the universe.

2. What is the Lorentz transformation?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical equation that describes how measurements of space and time are affected by an object's motion. It is a key concept in special relativity and is used to calculate the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

3. How do matrices relate to special relativity?

Matrices are used to represent the Lorentz transformation in special relativity. They allow for the calculation of the effects of relative motion on space and time measurements, and are essential for understanding the theory.

4. What are the implications of special relativity?

Special relativity has several implications, including the concept of time dilation, where time moves slower for objects in motion, and length contraction, where objects appear shorter in the direction of their motion. It also explains the constant speed of light and the equivalence of mass and energy.

5. How is special relativity tested and confirmed?

Special relativity has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is constant regardless of the observer's motion. Other experiments, such as the Hafele-Keating experiment, have also confirmed the predictions of special relativity.