Special relativity: firecracker explode simulatenously, distance of observation?

In summary: Let's try to approach the problem in a different way. The time it takes for the light from firecracker 1 to reach the observer is 3 microseconds. Using the equation d = vt, we can calculate the distance between the observer and firecracker 1 to be 900 meters. Since firecracker 2 is at x = 900m, this means that the light from firecracker 2 will reach the observer at the same time as the light from firecracker 1. Therefore, the answer should be 3 microseconds for the time the flash from firecracker 2 is seen. It is possible that there is an error in the book, or that there is additional information missing from the problem.
offbeatjumi
I have a simple question... say two firecrackers explode simultaneously, and there's an observer in the same reference frame at rest. The observer is standing closer to one firecracker, but since she is at rest, does she observe them to explode simultaneously?
If not... I cannot find the equation I need to use to find the different times the light of the explosion reaches her eyes. (say she is standing 600 m from firecracker A, whose light reaches her eyes in 3.0 mu-s. and she is standing 300m from firecracker B).
Thanks =)

Physics news on Phys.org

Both fire crackers and the observer are at rest relative to each other?
Then you don't use relativity. Just d = vt for the motion of the light.

I thought so...

But I am really confused now.
The values in the problem is that a person is standing at x = 600m. firecracker 1 is at the origin, and firecracker 2 is at x = 900m. the firecrackers explode simultaneously. it is given that the light from firecracker one reaches the person's eyes in 3 microseconds. What time does she see the flash from firecracker 2?

The answer in the back of the book gives 2 microseconds. this makes no sense to me no matter which way i approach the problem. any help?
thanks

I can't think of a way to get that answer. I tried moving the observer 671 m away from the x-axis to get that 3 microseconds using the regular value for the speed of light. This gives 2.45 microseconds for the time the flash from the 2nd firecracker being seen. It matches the answer to 1 digit accuracy.

Have you precisely copied the question?

Girl is standing at x = 600m. firecracker 1, at origin, and firecracker 2 at x = 900m, explode simultaneously. the flash from firecracker 1 reach's girls eyes at t = 3.0 microseconds. at what time does she see the flash from firecracker 2?

im not even sure the correct way to approach the problem. when i use t = d/v to check the given number... its not even correct... 600m/3x10^8 gives me 2 microseconds, not 3. the back of the book gives me an answer of 2 microseconds for the time firecracker 2 reaches her eyes.

error possibly?

Either that or we are missing something.

Related to Special relativity: firecracker explode simulatenously, distance of observation?

1. How does special relativity affect the timing of a firecracker exploding?

According to special relativity, the timing of events can appear different to different observers depending on their relative motion. This means that the timing of a firecracker exploding may appear different to observers who are moving at different speeds.

2. Can a firecracker explode simultaneously for two observers who are moving at different speeds?

No, according to special relativity, simultaneity is relative. This means that two events that appear to happen simultaneously for one observer may appear to happen at different times for another observer who is moving at a different speed.

3. How does the distance of observation affect the perception of a firecracker exploding?

The distance of observation does not directly affect the perception of a firecracker exploding. However, if the observer is moving at a high speed relative to the firecracker, the distance may affect the timing of the event, as explained by special relativity.

4. Can special relativity explain the speed of a firecracker exploding?

No, special relativity does not directly explain the speed of a firecracker exploding. The speed of the exploding firecracker can be explained by other principles, such as Newton's laws of motion.

5. How does special relativity impact our understanding of the distance of stars and galaxies?

Special relativity has a significant impact on our understanding of the distance of stars and galaxies. It explains how the distance and speed of these objects can appear different to observers who are moving at different speeds. It also plays a crucial role in the theory of general relativity, which is used to understand the large-scale structure and behavior of the universe.