Homework Help -- Relative Velocity

In summary, the problem involves two trains (A and B) moving at different speeds and a person on Train A witnessing a firecracker explode and a woman dropping her umbrella at a distance of 600m. The passenger on Train B also sees the same events occurring 600m apart. To determine the relative velocity between the two trains, the Lorentz transformation equation can be used, with the final answer being somewhat amusing.
Jade45
<Moderator note: moved from technical forums, so no template>

Problem: Two trains (A and B) are moving along parallel tracks at different speeds. A person sitting on train A looks out the window and sees two things happen: a firecracker explodes right outside his window, and, exactly 1.0 microseconds later, a woman standing by the tracks 600m ahead of him drops her umbrella. Now, the passenger on train B, moving at a different velocity from train A, observes these same two events and also concludes that they occurred 600m apart. Based on this information, you should be able to determine the relative velocity v between the two trains.

Attempt: I understand that this is from the reference point of the person on Train A so the Lorentz Expression would be:
Δx= XB - XA = 600m -0m
Δx'=ϑ(Δx -v*Δt)
ϑ=1/√(1-β^2)
I guess I take the Lorentz transformation equation and solve for v and then plug in the numbers.
Am I on the right track or completely wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jade45 said:
<Moderator note: moved from technical forums, so no template>

Problem: Two trains (A and B) are moving along parallel tracks at different speeds. A person sitting on train A looks out the window and sees two things happen: a firecracker explodes right outside his window, and, exactly 1.0 microseconds later, a woman standing by the tracks 600m ahead of him drops her umbrella. Now, the passenger on train B, moving at a different velocity from train A, observes these same two events and also concludes that they occurred 600m apart. Based on this information, you should be able to determine the relative velocity v between the two trains.

Attempt: I understand that this is from the reference point of the person on Train A so the Lorentz Expression would be:
Δx= XB - XA = 600m -0m
Δx'=ϑ(Δx -v*Δt)
ϑ=1/√(1-β^2)
I guess I take the Lorentz transformation equation and solve for v and then plug in the numbers.
Am I on the right track or completely wrong?
Looks OK.

Likes Jade45
The answer is kind of amusing ...

Likes Jade45

Related to Homework Help -- Relative Velocity

What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion and position of both objects to determine their relative speed and direction.

How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of another. This can be done using vector addition or using the relative velocity formula, vAB = vB - vA.

What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Relative velocity takes into account the motion and position of both objects, while absolute velocity only considers the motion of one object in relation to a fixed reference point. Additionally, absolute velocity is constant, while relative velocity can change depending on the motion of the objects.

How does relative velocity apply to real-world situations?

Relative velocity is important in understanding the movement of objects in relation to each other. It is used in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering to calculate the trajectories of objects and predict collisions or interactions between them.

What are some common misconceptions about relative velocity?

One common misconception is that relative velocity is always the sum of the velocities of the two objects. In reality, it is the difference between the two velocities. Another misconception is that relative velocity is the same for both objects, when in fact it can be different for each object depending on their motion and position.