Special Relativity and Space-Time Diagrams

In summary, the two events occur at a distance of 4 light years from the origin at time 3 years and 6.5 years in the reference frame of S. According to the time dilation formula, the time between the events as measured by an observer in S' is 4.0 years. The sketch provided also supports this result.
Jefffff

Homework Statement

[/B]
S' is moving at 0.5c relative to S.

Two events, stationary with respect to S, occur at a distance of 4 light years from the origin at time 3 years and 6.5 years. Estimate the time between the events as measured by an observer in S'. Check your solution with the time dilation formula.

Homework Equations

Time dilation: γ=ΔT / ΔT0

Since v=0.5c, then γ = 1.155

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I first placed the points for the two events at the coordinates (4, 3) and (4, 6.5) on the space-time diagram with the grid that corresponds to the reference frame of S. If I then see what the y-axis readings are for the reference frame of S', I get 1.0 years and 5.0 years. Therefore, the time between the events according to S' must be 4.0 years.

Since S is stationary with respect to the two events, then ΔT0 = 3.5 years.

3.5 * 1.155 = 4.0 years

I'd like some verification if I did this correctly. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your sketch?
Jefffff said:
I'd like some verification if I did this correctly.
You can use the time-dilation formula as cross-check. It is part of the problem anyway.

mfb said:
Can you show your sketch?You can use the time-dilation formula as cross-check. It is part of the problem anyway.

Yep, here's a photo. The dots I've drawn are in blue.

Physics Spacetime DIagram.JPG

Looks fine.

Related to Special Relativity and Space-Time Diagrams

What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by the speed of an object relative to an observer.

How does special relativity differ from classical mechanics?

Special relativity differs from classical mechanics in that it takes into account the effects of high speeds and the constant speed of light, while classical mechanics assumes that time and space are absolute and that the speed of light is infinite.

What is a space-time diagram?

A space-time diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between space and time in special relativity. It uses the x-axis to represent space and the t-axis to represent time, and shows how events and objects move through space and time.

What is the significance of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light, denoted by c, is a constant in special relativity and is the maximum speed at which any object in the universe can travel. This means that no object can travel faster than the speed of light, and it is a fundamental principle in the theory of special relativity.

How does special relativity affect our everyday lives?

Special relativity has many practical applications in modern technology, such as in the development of GPS systems and satellite communications. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles at high speeds and is essential for our understanding of the universe and its origins.