Spagettification and a singularity

In summary, the two particles that are falling towards the singularity will eventually end up at the same point, even though the distance between them increases along the way.
PeterDonis said:
They hit the singularity at distinct points, and any two points on the singularity are spacelike separated.
I still have difficulty understanding what the r in r=0 means. It is the radial coordinate. Which is timeline behind the horizon. Which means a particle travels on, after passing the horizon, the amount of proper time it takes to reach the singularity (which is linearly dependent on M and is about the time it takes light to cross the Schwarzschild radius).

Do the particles just travel on the time coordinate behind the horizon while in space in front of the horizon? So, again, two particles end up at the singularity time at r=0 while they get separated in space in front of the horizon? Or do I have coordinates mixed up here, as they never crosses the horizon but only approach the artificial singularity at the Schwarzschild radius (which is a spatial distance, in front of the horizon)?

Can't we say, instead of saying that the spatial distance the particles fall into (or onto) the hole (which obviously isn't c times the proper time, corresponding to the Schwarzschild radius), is indeterminate, approaches infinity (which indeterminate too)? This would allow for particles being spatially separated at the singularity. Or wouldn't it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What should we think about the images of 2D black holes that are frequently shown? With a funnel inside getting thinner and thinner and reaching towards infinity in the center?

BoraxZ said:
I still have difficulty understanding what the r in r=0 means.
It means the notional 2-spheres on the horizon singularity [corrected] are actually points--they have zero radius. The ##r## that is used as a coordinate in many charts on Schwarzschild spacetime (but not all) is the "areal radius" of 2-spheres; a 2-sphere with coordinate ##r## has surface area ##4 \pi r^2##.

BoraxZ said:
It is the radial coordinate. Which is timeline behind the horizon.
Only in Schwarzschild coordinates. But whether a coordinate is timelike or not has nothing to do with the nature of a particular curve. The singularity curve is spacelike regardless of any choice of coordinates. The worldlines of infalling objects are timelike regardless of any choice of coordinates. Inside the horizon, the areal radius of 2-spheres along any infalling object's worldline decreases with increasing proper time; but that has nothing to do with whether the ##r## in some coordinate chart is timelike or not. (To really understand this requires more than a B-level discussion.)

All of the rest of your post is just confusion based on you not recognizing the above points.

Last edited:
BoraxZ said:
What should we think about the images of 2D black holes that are frequently shown? With a funnel inside getting thinner and thinner and reaching towards infinity in the center?
Those have nothing to do with what we are discussing here.

Likes BoraxZ
PeterDonis said:
It means the notional 2-spheres on the horizon are actually points
Singularity, I think you mean, not horizon.

Ibix said:
Singularity, I think you mean, not horizon.
Yes, thanks! Post corrected.

PeterDonis said:
It means the notional 2-spheres on the horizon singularity [corrected] are actually points--they have zero radius. The r that is used as a coordinate in many charts on Schwarzschild spacetime (but not all) is the "areal radius" of 2-spheres; a 2-sphere with coordinate r has surface area 4πr2.
Does this mean that particles falling in, at the same time, from different angularly separated points but at the same r, will end up crammed together at the singularity?

Assuming they have the same initial velocity, yes.

Ibix said:
Assuming they have the same initial velocity, yes.
Even if you look at it from from the faraway outside, where they end up in the horizon (where r is not zero)?

BoraxZ said:
Even if you look at it from from the faraway outside,
You can't look at the singularity from outside.

Ibix said:
You can't look at the singularity from outside.
No, that's true. But if they cram up in the inside, don't they cram up in the outside too? Or do particles (not angularly but radially separated) cram up, seen from the outside, on the horizon?

BoraxZ said:
if they cram up in the inside, don't they cram up in the outside too?
No. The horizon is a true 2-sphere with a nonzero area. Different angular coordinates correspond to different points on the horizon. The reason they don't correspond to different points on the singularity is that the singularity is not a true 2-sphere; it has zero area (because ##r = 0## there).

BoraxZ said:
No, that's true. But if they cram up in the inside, don't they cram up in the outside too? Or do particles (not angularly but radially separated) cram up, seen from the outside, on the horizon?
You mean, do things falling radially inwards get closer to each other? Sure. For a stellar mass black hole the circumference of the event horizon is tens of kilometres or more, so there's a lot of space. It only goes to zero size at the singularity.

BoraxZ said:
do particles (not angularly but radially separated) cram up, seen from the outside, on the horizon?
If they're at the same angular coordinates and are falling purely radially, then yes, from the outside, they will in principle appear to pile up at the same point on the horizon (though the light coming from them will also be increasingly redshifted so it will quickly become undetectable in a practical sense).

Ibix said:
do things falling radially inwards get closer to each other? Sure.
No, they don't. Their radial separation will increase due to spacetime curvature (tidal gravity). Here the OP is asking about particles separated only radially, not tangentially. (Particles falling from the same radius but separated tangentially will get closer to each other due to tidal gravity--I think this is what you were thinking of, but it's not what the OP asked about in that particular post.)

They will appear to a distant observer to pile up at the horizon, but this is an optical effect due to the behavior of outgoing light rays and can easily be shown not to contradict the statement I made above (which is invariant).

PeterDonis said:
No, they don't.
Ah yes, sorry, misread the question. Same radius, different angular coordinates will bunch up because there's less area. Same angular coordinates different radius will separate just like in Newtonian gravity (qualitatively).

BoraxZ said:
This is what “spaghettification” means: Things get crammed up in the horizontal directions and stretched out in the vertical direction. This is basically the familiar form of tidal forces from Newtonian gravity.

Likes Ibix
Dale said:
This is what “spaghettification” means: Things get crammed up in the horizontal directions and stretched out in the vertical direction. This is basically the familiar form of tidal forces from Newtonian gravity.
Yes. But on the inside particles get crammed in the angular directions and seen from faraway on the outside the particles seem to get crammed in the radial direction.

BoraxZ said:
on the inside particles get crammed in the angular directions
Which, as noted, is part of spaghettification.

BoraxZ said:
seen from faraway on the outside the particles seem to get crammed in the radial direction.
Which has nothing whatever to do with spaghettification so it's off topic for this thread.

BoraxZ said:
on the inside particles get crammed in the angular directions and seen from faraway on the outside the particles seem to get crammed in the radial direction.
I am not sure why you believe that, but it is untrue. Tidal forces always stretch in the vertical direction and compress in the horizontal directions, both inside and outside the horizon.

Perhaps you are thinking of some coordinate-based description. If so it is yet another reason not to take coordinates too seriously.

Likes BoraxZ
Dale said:
I am not sure why you believe that, but it is untrue. Tidal forces always stretch in the vertical direction and compress in the horizontal directions, both inside and outside the horizon.
Yes, but on the outside the cramming seems to take place spatially on the horizon for radially separated particles. In the inside these particles all collect at the singularity time but get spatially separated.

Particles that are angular separated (and not radially) don't get (totally) crammed on the horizon, while in the inside they get totally crammed angularly.

Last edited:
Dale said:
I am not sure why you believe that
I think he is referring to what I described in post #120. Which, as I noted, is only an optical effect. And which in any case has nothing to do with spaghettification.

Likes Dale
Dale said:
Perhaps you are thinking of some coordinate-based description. If so it is yet another reason not to take coordinates too seriously
Can we describe the hole without coordinates? With invariants?

BoraxZ said:
Can we describe the hole without coordinates? With invariants?
Of course. Many of the statements that have been made in this thread are about invariants.

Likes BoraxZ
PeterDonis said:
I think he is referring to what I described in post #120. Which, as I noted, is only an optical effect. And which in any case has nothing to do with spaghettification.
All this obsessing over what distant observers visually see is rather pointless. But at least it isn’t obsessing over coordinates which is pointlesser

Dale said:
All this obsessing over what distant observers visually see is rather pointless. But at least it isn’t obsessing over coordinates which is pointlesser
You got a point there!

Somehow, what we see from faraway is the opposite of what happens inside. From afar the particles seem to cram up on the Schwarzschild radius, while on the inside they cram up on the singularity time and angular directions, while their radial distances from each other have grown. Very loosely speaking.

Dale said:
pointlesser
Is that a word? I guess it is now, since you've used it. :wink:

Likes Dale
Dale said:
pointlesser
PeterDonis said:
Is that a word? I guess it is now, since you've used it. :wink:
Should be "eventlesser" in a discussion about spacetime.

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes PeterDonis and Dale
BoraxZ said:
I meant what vanhees71 showed in his comment. Two particles falling together freely, after which one of them (or both) accelerates away from the other to meet up again later in. Can they meet up again behind the horizon?
I think tis is still the essential part of my original question (but not answered yet I suppose, or did I mis something? could of course be after 140 answers). So constant accelarating away from eachother, how can they ever meet again?

HansH said:
I think tis is still the essential part of my original question
Your original question was about spaghettification. That has nothing to do with the twin paradox. The twin paradox subthread is a hijack that will shortly be moved to its own thread.

HansH said:
constant accelarating away from each other, how can they ever meet again?
Any particles involved in the spaghettification of an object as it approaches the singularity, if the spaghettification is moving them apart, will not meet again.

ok thanks. my original question was indeed about spagettification, but the reason was that I was wondering if this spagettification process continues no matter how close you are to the singularity. (as I would expect and now asume you confirm that in #157, but could be that I do not understand you exactly)

probably I am a bit confused about the term 'size' and where we can speak of a 'size' of something. outside the event horizon we can speak for example of the size of an atom. With a person in freefall into a black hole Iassume the atoms still are there so also the size can be measured an also the size between 2 atoms separating due to the spagettification process. but how close can we be to the singularity before size becomes a useless definition so when is the spagettification process not able anymore to be followed by an observer (being very close nearby)?

HansH said:
I think tis is still the essential part of my original question (but not answered yet I suppose, or did I mis something? could of course be after 140 answers). So constant accelarating away from eachother, how can they ever meet again?
All particles end up in the r=0 singularity. Spacelike separated. The r is timelike. So two particles falling in after one another end up at the same time but spatially separated. Their clocks showing different times (when synchronized before falling in).

Last edited: