SpaceX Crew Dragon Launch Try #2

• SpaceX
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Launch Spacex
  • Featured
In summary, SpaceX and NASA successfully launched two astronauts to the International Space Station on Saturday. The launch was exciting and brought tears to many viewers' eyes. The design of the spacecraft is amazing, and if the astronauts have a successful mission, it will be the first time the United States has had independent access to Earth orbit.
TL;DR Summary
Watch history unfold on Saturday, May 30, as NASA and SpaceX launch astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley to the International Space Station.
Here we go again! Set for 3:22PM EST. Lots of analysis in this live video already!

Likes Motore, DennisN, JD_PM and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Very exciting! We watched the successful launch live as a family. Everyone was into it, even my four-year-old

Likes sysprog, hutchphd, JD_PM and 3 others
It was almost as exciting as watching the lift-off of Alan Shepard on Freedom 7. (Uh Oh, I just dated myself.)

• Haha
Likes Dale
Greg Bernhardt said:
Summary:: Watch history unfold on Saturday, May 30, as NASA and SpaceX launch astronauts Robert Behnken and Douglas Hurley to the International Space Station.

Here we go again! Set for 3:22PM EST. Lots of analysis in this live video already!

Brought tears to my eyes. Loved every second.

Likes Klystron and Dale
The whole design is so unbelievably cool. If this doesn't scream Star Trek then I don't know what does...:

1590876170736.png

Also, SpaceX have made a neat little Dragon to ISS docking simulator where you can try using the actual controls Bob and Doug will be using to dock tomorrow! I'd recommend reading the instructions first though, since it's pretty fiddly!

Likes Dale, Klystron and Greg Bernhardt
We are planning on watching the docking too. Probably won’t be as exciting as the launch, but the whole family is interested

Last edited:
Likes anorlunda
Docking was successful, they just opened the hatch to the ISS.

After 9 years the US has independent access to Earth orbit and the ISS again.

The first private company to fly cargo to the ISS also became the first private company to launch people to the ISS (and people to orbit in general).

Likes anorlunda
Well, apparently you don't just dock, pop the hatch and jump out, do you?

Likes Dale
Yes, it definitely is slower than getting off a plane.

My kids color commentary was pretty amusing though. The purple sparkly dinosaur was a favorite

These guys sure are methodical.
Congratulations to SpaceX and NASA.

gleem said:
Well, apparently you don't just dock, pop the hatch and jump out, do you?
The tests of Dragon didn't end with docking. Future missions should be faster.

I still find the reusable boosters of SpaceX and Blue Origins to be totally cool. As a kid watching Tom Corbett and the Space Cadets (I’m dating myself too) space ships landed on their tails. That’s the way it was supposed to be. And then we started dumping them in the ocean. It took some new(old) thinking to say, “Maybe we could land the thing instead of scrapping it?” It took some tech leaps with main engines that could throttle and restart, telemetry and radar that could guide to a pinpoint, landing legs that worked, etc., but they did it saving billions$$$. As to the design, I would expect nothing less from Musk. My daughter has a Tesla 3. It looks the same inside as the Dragon. Speaking of Tesla, nobody thought that would pan out either. Guess they were wrong. So where are we re: Hyperloop?

And they’re everywhere in Louisville too. My daughter’s car is going on two years old and has yet to incur a single repair or preventative maintenance action. At some point old Tesla’s will need some service I suppose.

Related to SpaceX Crew Dragon Launch Try #2

1. What is the purpose of the SpaceX Crew Dragon Launch?

The SpaceX Crew Dragon Launch is a historic mission that aims to send NASA astronauts to the International Space Station (ISS) from American soil for the first time since 2011. It is part of NASA's Commercial Crew Program, which seeks to partner with private companies to develop safe and reliable means of transportation to and from the ISS.

2. Why was the launch postponed from its original date?

The original launch date of May 27th was postponed due to unfavorable weather conditions, specifically the risk of lightning strikes. The safety of the astronauts and the success of the mission are top priorities for SpaceX and NASA, so the decision was made to delay the launch until conditions were more favorable.

3. How does the Crew Dragon differ from previous spacecraft?

The Crew Dragon is a reusable spacecraft designed and built by SpaceX specifically for human spaceflight. It is the first spacecraft to be fully autonomous, meaning it can dock with the ISS without manual control. It also features modern technology and a sleek design, making it more advanced and efficient than previous spacecraft.

4. What are the potential benefits of the Crew Dragon Launch?

The successful launch of the Crew Dragon will mark a significant milestone in the advancement of commercial spaceflight. It will decrease NASA's reliance on Russian spacecraft for transportation to the ISS and open up opportunities for more private companies to participate in space exploration. It also has the potential to lower the cost of space travel and make it more accessible to the general public in the future.

5. What are the safety precautions in place for the astronauts during the launch?

The Crew Dragon has been extensively tested and meets all safety requirements set by NASA. The astronauts will also undergo rigorous training and will have access to emergency escape systems in case of any unforeseen issues during the launch. Additionally, SpaceX and NASA have strict protocols in place to ensure the safety of the astronauts throughout the entire mission.