SpaceX's astronaut wore glasses during liftoff

• SpaceX
  • Thread starter Leo Liu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astronaut
In summary, SpaceX's successful maiden launch of their Falcon 9 rocket was a great achievement. The smooth flight provided by the rocket was impressive, and the myopic astronaut wearing glasses during the event seems to have done just fine.
Leo Liu
When I was watching the live video of demo 2, I found that an astronaut was wearing his glasses during the launch event as shown by the image below. So I am wondering why he was wearing it. Also, wouldn't the glasses be potentially harmful to the astronaut due to the high acceleration?

1590868741625.png

Last, congratulations to all American people, Spacex and NASA. This is an unprecedented achievement in this unprecedented time.

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc and atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
Humm.
I was hoping they were shades!
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 1.44.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 1.44.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 1.45.04 PM.png

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Compared to watching launches during the 1960's and 70's, I was impressed by the smooth flight provided by SpaceX. While cameras have certainly improved to compensate for vibration, today's manned spaceflight seemed sedate compared to the rough ride experienced by Apollo-era astronauts.

Major progress and a great flight.

Likes berkeman and Leo Liu
He's probably wearing the glasses so he can see better! If I press down on my glasses with 3 times their weight, it's not a big problem.

Likes Leo Liu and BillTre
phyzguy said:
If I press down on my glasses with 3 times their weight, it's not a big problem.
You are right, but if the glasses had slid off his face after the liftoff, it would have been impossible to pick it up from the floor; therefore, the presence of glasses could lessen the performance of astronaut.

Anyway, although everything has gone smoothly so far, I am curious why SpaceX dares to send myopic astronaut with his glasses into space on a test flight.

Last edited:
Klystron said:
Compared to watching launches during the 1960's and 70's, I was impressed by the smooth flight provided by SpaceX.
1590881041894.png

I really like the minimal design of Dragon and the bold ideas adopted. The interior design of the spacecraft resembles that of a commercial jet. Its control system is much more advanced than any spacecraft built by any country today.
1590881815357.png

(Credit to Spacex)

Likes Klystron and BillTre
When a rocket accelerates, the astronauts are experiencing the acceleration "eyeballs in". The acceleration holds the glasses in place.

I once took an airplane through a loop (with an instructor), and pulled enough G's on the way down to gray out. I was sitting upright, so the acceleration was "eyeballs down". My glasses did not budge.

When running, my glasses see vertical acceleration when my feet are on the ground, and zero G when both feet are in the air. At roughly 1750 steps per mile times 5 to 15 miles on a warm humid day, that's a lot of bouncing back and forth between vertical acceleration and zero G. My glasses stay in place even when the sweat is running down and making them slippery.

I conclude that glasses in space are not a problem. Although I do hope that he took along a spare pair.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, BillTre and Leo Liu
jrmichler said:
The acceleration holds the glasses in place.
I agree -- that's why I use "harmful". However, it doesn't seem to be a problem since phyzguy pointed out that the force equivalent to the acceleration is acceptable.

jrmichler said:
I once took an airplane through a loop (with an instructor), and pulled enough G's on the way down to gray out. I was sitting upright, so the acceleration was "eyeballs down". My glasses did not budge.
Glad to know this information, thank you!

Last edited:
Leo Liu said:
Anyway, although everything has gone smoothly so far, I am curious why SpaceX dares to send myopic astronaut with his glasses into space on a test flight.
I suspect they are reading glasses. Doug Hurley is 53 years old.

• Informative
Likes Leo Liu
Leo Liu said:
So I am wondering why he was wearing it
To see maybe?

Likes Bystander
I was quite surprised to see an astronaut wearing glasses on a maiden voyage. Say things went pear shape and Bob & Doug have to utilize their pressurized suits. Bob has some issue so it's up to Doug to do some manual piloting of the craft. They are one mishap away from mission failure (Doug can't reposition his glasses).

I think it is awesome that America is back in the astronaut business. IMO it was a horrible decision to depend on the Russians for space travel.

Likes Leo Liu
2milehi said:
IMO it was a horrible decision to depend on the Russians for space travel.
Although that part of it was unfortunate to have depend upon the Russians, I think the US's not launching large loads was an intentional decision in order to promote the development of private sector (not government) production of launch capability (which we now have).
We now have what seems to be a solid alternative to government launches with additional alternatives in the works.

As so many have said, there are situations where the private sector can do things more efficiently and cheaper (when their goals allign with those that the government desires).
A decision to go for a long term payoff by (I believe by Obama and/or his administration) has lead to what we have now (which a desperate someone else wants to take credit for).

Likes Klystron
2milehi said:
I was quite surprised to see an astronaut wearing glasses on a maiden voyage. Say things went pear shape and Bob & Doug have to utilize their pressurized suits. Bob has some issue so it's up to Doug to do some manual piloting of the craft. They are one mishap away from mission failure (Doug can't reposition his glasses).
By default the spacecraft flies on its own, as backup it can be flown by the ground crew or the astronauts.
Your scenario needs the self-flying to go wrong, communication to go wrong, the cabin to lose pressure, one astronaut needs to be incapacitated somehow, and then the other astronaut loses their glasses in the helmet. But at the same time, despite all these things going wrong, the spacecraft still needs to react to manual input from the astronauts and it must be possible to save the mission. Otherwise glasses would just show clearer how the astronauts are doomed.

It was a NASA astronaut, not SpaceX

Related to SpaceX's astronaut wore glasses during liftoff

1. Why did the SpaceX astronaut wear glasses during liftoff?

The SpaceX astronaut wore glasses during liftoff as a precautionary measure to protect their eyes from any potential debris or particles that may have been present during the launch.

2. Are glasses necessary for astronauts during liftoff?

Glasses are not a requirement for astronauts during liftoff, but they may choose to wear them for added protection or if they have any pre-existing vision impairments.

3. How do glasses affect an astronaut's vision during liftoff?

Glasses do not significantly affect an astronaut's vision during liftoff. They may slightly alter their field of view, but this is typically not a major concern for astronauts during the short duration of liftoff.

4. Do all astronauts wear glasses during liftoff?

No, not all astronauts wear glasses during liftoff. It is a personal choice and may depend on individual vision needs or preferences.

5. Are there any other reasons an astronaut may wear glasses during liftoff?

Aside from protection and vision needs, an astronaut may also wear glasses during liftoff for corrective purposes, such as to improve their vision or reduce glare from bright lights inside the spacecraft.