Space, matter and physical models

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a model that begins with matter and deduces space from the relations between matter units. This idea is neither nonsensical nor silly, and it is suggested that time should also be included in the model. There are three possible scenarios for the primacy of spacetime vs. matter, with the speaker's bias being towards something more fundamental from which both are derived. They recommend reading "On Space and Time" by Shahn Majid for more information on this topic.
bagheraa
As far as I have seen, all physical models begin with space, and then put matter that live in space and modify it somehow. Basically the models works fine and describe reality farily well. But at some point they arrive to problems, as infinite curvatures, that prevents them to be unified.

It could be possible a model that begins with matter, and from the relations of matter then deduce space? Is this a none sense? What would be the matter?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
To describe "relations" of matter, you need to describe the distance between matter, and once you do that you've introduced "space" in some sense. What kind of a scheme were you thinking about?

I don't have by now a cocrete idea. I think on something where distance is one of the consecuences of the form the matter units relates between them. Maybe distance is only the time it takes to react to a change. In some sense a matter unit would be reading the past history of other matter units. When we have more than two matter units this shifted times could be, in some aspects, understood as a space.

bagheraa said:
It could be possible a model that begins with matter, and from the relations of matter then deduce space? Is this a none sense? What would be the matter?

Your idea seems neither nonsensical nor silly. Don't forget to include time as well as space, or "spacetime", in your eventual solution!

Regarding the primacy of spacetime vs. matter there are (at least) three possibilities: (1) space is the progenitor of matter. I believe Einstein put considerable effort into deriving matter from empty spacetime. (2) matter is the progenitor of spacetime, which your idea, and doubtlessly others as well. (3) something more fundamental than either, from which both are derived.

My bias is door # (3), but the answer, when it surely comes, might be formulatable in all three ways.

James_Harford said:
Regarding the primacy of spacetime vs. matter there are (at least) three possibilities: (1) space is the progenitor of matter. I believe Einstein put considerable effort into deriving matter from empty spacetime. (2) matter is the progenitor of spacetime, which your idea, and doubtlessly others as well. (3) something more fundamental than either, from which both are derived.

My bias is door # (3), but the answer, when it surely comes, might be formulatable in all three ways.

Thanks for your answer.

Where can I find information on my bias door (2) and on yours (3)? Do you have links where I can look for others work?

Where can I find information on my bias door (2) and on yours (3)? Do you have links where I can look for others work?

Read This

On Space and Time

Shahn Majid

Oxford University Press

Related to Space, matter and physical models

1. What is space and how is it related to matter?

Space is the three-dimensional extent in which objects and events occur. It is related to matter because matter exists within space and is affected by it, such as gravitational forces.

2. How is matter classified in physics?

Matter is classified into three categories: solid, liquid, and gas. These classifications are based on the arrangement of particles and the amount of energy they possess.

3. What are physical models and why are they used?

Physical models are simplified representations of real-world phenomena that are used to study and understand complex systems. They can be used to test theories, make predictions, and aid in decision-making.

4. How do scientists use physical models to study space?

Scientists use physical models to simulate and study space phenomena, such as the motion of celestial bodies or the behavior of matter in zero gravity. These models help us understand and make predictions about the vast and complex universe.

5. Can physical models ever fully represent the complexity of the natural world?

No, physical models are simplified versions of reality and can never fully represent the complexity of the natural world. However, they can still provide valuable insights and aid in our understanding of the universe.