Sp hybrid orbitals orthonormality

• Thread starter josecuervo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbitals
In summary, sp hybrid orbitals are a type of hybrid orbital formed by mixing one s orbital and one p orbital from the same atom. They are important in explaining bonding and predicting molecular geometry. These orbitals are orthonormal, meaning they are perpendicular and do not interfere with each other, resulting in a linear shape for molecules with sp hybridization.
josecuervo

Homework Statement

Find the other sp hybrid orbital given Ψsp1 = 3Ψ2s + 4Ψ2pz using the orthonormal relationships.

Homework Equations

I know that you are supposed to use the orthonormal relationships like stated in the problem, and when finding the the second sp hybrid orbital for the normalized

Ψ[itex]_{1}[/itex]sp1 = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex](Ψ2s + Ψ2pz)

Ψ[itex]_{2}[/itex]sp1 = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex](Ψ2s - Ψ2pz)

and the integral for orthogonality and normalization is the standard:

[itex]\int[/itex] Ψ[itex]_{1}[/itex]sp1* Ψ[itex]_{2}[/itex]sp1=0

[itex]\int[/itex] Ψ[itex]_{1}[/itex]sp1* Ψ[itex]_{1}[/itex]sp1=1

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I get and I'm not very confident about it. If someone could help me finish it or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

0=[itex]\int[/itex](3Ψ2s*+4Ψ2pz*)(c[itex]_{1}[/itex]Ψ2s+c[itex]_{2}[/itex]Ψ2pz)

Which I get reduces to

0= 3c[itex]_{1}[/itex] + 4c[itex]_2{}[/itex]

c[itex]_{2}[/itex] = -3/4c[itex]_{1}[/itex]

I then plugged in and used the relationship:

1= [itex]\int[/itex](c[itex]_{1}[/itex]Ψ2s* - 3/4c[itex]_{1}[/itex]Ψ2pz*)(c[itex]_{1}[/itex]Ψ2s - 3/4c[itex]_{1}[/itex]Ψ2pz)

which I get reduces to

1= -3/2c[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]

so

c[itex]_{1}[/itex]= +/- [itex]\sqrt{2/3}[/itex] and
c[itex]_{2}[/itex]= +/- [itex]\sqrt{6}[/itex]/4

Can someone double check me or point out any errors?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you.

Your approach seems to be correct. The orthonormal relationships you have used are the correct ones for finding the second sp hybrid orbital. Your final values for c1 and c2 also seem to be correct. However, I would suggest double checking your calculations just to be sure. Also, it would be helpful to mention the values of c1 and c2 as well as the final orbital equation in your solution for clarity. Overall, good job on tackling this problem using the orthonormal relationships! Keep up the good work.

Related to Sp hybrid orbitals orthonormality

1. What are sp hybrid orbitals?

Sp hybrid orbitals are a type of hybrid orbital that results from the combination of s and p orbitals in an atom. They have a linear shape and are used to explain the bonding in molecules with a central atom surrounded by two other atoms.

2. How are sp hybrid orbitals formed?

Sp hybrid orbitals are formed by mixing one s orbital and one p orbital from the same atom. The orbitals must have similar energy levels in order to form a hybrid orbital. This process results in two sp hybrid orbitals with a linear orientation.

3. What is the significance of sp hybrid orbitals?

Sp hybrid orbitals play a crucial role in explaining the bonding in molecules with a central atom surrounded by two other atoms. They allow for the formation of strong sigma bonds and help in predicting the molecular geometry of molecules.

4. Are sp hybrid orbitals orthonormal?

Yes, sp hybrid orbitals are orthonormal, meaning they are perpendicular to each other and have a normalized overlap integral of zero. This ensures that the orbitals do not interfere with each other and can accurately describe the bonding in a molecule.

5. How does the orthonormality of sp hybrid orbitals affect molecular geometry?

The orthonormality of sp hybrid orbitals allows for the formation of strong sigma bonds and the prediction of a linear molecular geometry. This means that molecules with sp hybridization will have a linear shape, with the central atom bonded to two other atoms at a 180 degree angle.