Normalization of a symmetric wavefunction

In summary, the task is to find the normalization constant N_{S} for a symmetric wavefunction of two identical particles, specifically bosons. The wave function must satisfy a symmetry equation and can be solved using the Gram-Schmidt method to orthonormalize the individual wavefunctions. The resulting solution is N_{S} = 1/√2.
phosgene

Homework Statement

I need to find the normalization constant [itex]N_{S}[/itex] of a symmetric wavefunction

[itex]ψ(x_{1},x_{2}) = N_{S}[ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2}) + ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})][/itex]

assuming that the normalization of the individual wavefunctions [itex]ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2}), ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})[/itex] are both just 1 and not orthogonal.

Homework Equations

For a symmetric wavefunction [itex]ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2}) = ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})[/itex]

3. Attempt at solution

I do the normalization and get [itex]N_{S}^2∫_{-∞}^{∞} 2 {|ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2})|}^{2} + ψ*_{a}(x_{1})ψ*_{b}(x_{2})ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1}) + ψ*_{a}(x_{2})ψ*_{b}(x_{1})ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})dx_{1}dx_{2}=1[/itex]

Now, since the wavefunctions are symmetric, [itex]ψ*_{a}(x_{1})ψ*_{b}(x_{2})ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1}) = ψ*_{a}(x_{2})ψ*_{b}(x_{1})ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})[/itex]

Since the answer is supposed to be [itex]N_{S}=1/\sqrt{2}[/itex], I'm guessing that [itex]ψ*_{a}(x_{1})ψ*_{b}(x_{2})ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1}) = 0[/itex], but I don't know why this would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you might have saved yourself some work by just applying the equality at the beginning, I think.

[itex]ψ(x_{1},x_{2}) = N_{S}[ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2}) + ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})][/itex]
[itex]ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2}) = ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})[/itex]
[itex]ψ(x_{1},x_{2}) = 2N_{S}ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2})[/itex]But in case you were wondering what to do with your later expression

[itex]\left(a^* + b^*\right)\left(a + b\right) = a^*a +b^*b + a^*b + ab^*[/itex]

[itex]= |a|^2 + |b|^2 + (a^*b) + (a^*b)^*[/itex]
Adding a number to its complex conjugate eliminates the imaginary component and doubles the real component.
[itex]= |a|^2 + |b|^2 + 2Re\left\{a^*b \right\}[/itex]

Consider what happens when [itex]a = b[/itex].

Edit: perhaps I'm missing something though

Last edited:
MisterX said:
Well, you might have saved yourself some work by just applying the equality at the beginning, I think.

[itex]ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2}) = ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})[/itex]
[itex]ψ(x_{1},x_{2}) = 2N_{S}ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2})[/itex]

But if I do this and try to normalize it, won't I get

[itex]N_{S}^2∫_{-∞}^{∞}4|ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2})|^2 dx_{1}dx_{2}[/itex]

which gets me [itex]N_{S}=1/2[/itex]

MisterX said:
But in case you were wondering what to do with your later expression

[itex]\left(a^* + b^*\right)\left(a + b\right) = a^*a +b^*b + a^*b + ab^*[/itex]

[itex]= |a|^2 + |b|^2 + (a^*b) + (a^*b)^*[/itex]
Adding a number to its complex conjugate eliminates the imaginary component and doubles the real component.
[itex]= |a|^2 + |b|^2 + 2Re\left\{a^*b \right\}[/itex]

Consider what happens when [itex]a = b[/itex].

Edit: perhaps I'm missing something though

[itex]2Re(a*b) = 2|a|^2, 2|b|^2[/itex] and then overall I would get [itex]4|a|^2[/itex] or [itex]4|b|^2[/itex], which again gives me [itex]N_{S}=1/2[/itex], but I need [itex]N_{S} = 1/ \sqrt{2}[/itex] so I'm not really sure what to do

Perhaps I replied without sufficient knowledge. It might be that the number of states has been halved (identical particles).

phosgene said:

This is the wavefunction for two identical particles, specifically bosons. The wave function is required to satisfy the symmetry equation you stated. To solve, we have [itex] |N_{S}|^2∫[ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2}) + ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})]^{*}[ψ_{a}(x_{1})ψ_{b}(x_{2}) + ψ_{a}(x_{2})ψ_{b}(x_{1})]dx_{1}dx_{2}=1 [/itex]. Expand this equation out carefully. It is always possible to orthonormalize using Gram-Schmidt so that [itex]∫|ψ_{a}(x_{1})^2|=1 [/itex] and [itex] ∫ψ_{a}(x_{1})^{*}ψ_{b}(x_{1})=0 [/itex]. This should give you [itex] N_{S} = 1/√2 [/itex].

Related to Normalization of a symmetric wavefunction

1. What is the purpose of normalizing a symmetric wavefunction?

Normalizing a symmetric wavefunction ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in a given space is equal to 1. This is important because it allows us to make meaningful predictions about the behavior of the particle.

2. How is the normalization constant determined for a symmetric wavefunction?

The normalization constant is determined by taking the square root of the integral of the squared wavefunction over all space. This is known as the normalization condition and is equal to the inverse of the square root of the integral of the unnormalized wavefunction.

3. Can a symmetric wavefunction be normalized if it is not square integrable?

No, a symmetric wavefunction must be square integrable in order to be normalized. This means that the integral of the wavefunction squared over all space must converge. If it does not, the wavefunction cannot be properly normalized.

4. How does normalizing a symmetric wavefunction affect its energy levels?

Normalizing a symmetric wavefunction does not affect its energy levels. The energy levels are determined by the Hamiltonian operator and are independent of the normalization constant. However, normalizing the wavefunction does affect the probability of finding the particle at a specific energy level.

5. What is the relationship between a normalized symmetric wavefunction and its time evolution?

A normalized symmetric wavefunction will remain normalized as it evolves in time. This is because the Schrödinger equation, which governs the time evolution of a wavefunction, preserves the normalization of the wavefunction. Therefore, the total probability of finding the particle in a given space will remain constant as the wavefunction evolves.