Sound Waves (simple harmonic motion and pressure dilemma)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of simple harmonic motion and its application to sound waves. The longitudinal sound wave is represented by an equation and the relationship between pressure variance and velocity is explained. The confusion arises when comparing this to simple harmonic motion, where the acceleration and force are out of phase with displacement. It is clarified that the force in sound waves is caused by the pressure gradient, rather than the acoustic pressure itself. The analogy to a wave in a string is also mentioned.
Apophilius
I've encountered a bit of a conceptual problem in my studies and I was hoping someone could help me out with this:

I understand that the longitudinal sound wave takes the form of the equation s(x,t) = smcos(kx +/- wt), and that the equation for pressure variance produced by the sound wave takes the equation p(x,t) = pmsin(kx +/- wt). I also understand that the velocity of an air element experiencing a wave can be found by taking the partial derivative of the s(x,t) equation with respect to whatever variable you feel like, and that the velocity will be out of phase from your pressure variance equation by pi radians. What I do NOT understand is this.

In simple harmonic motion (the kind of motion I understand a sound wave to be in) your acceleration and therefore your force is out of phase with displacement by pi radians, not velocity. At maximum displacement from equilibrium, you should experience your greatest acceleration and therefore your greatest force (since in simple harmonic motion, f = cx). With sound waves, however, you experience your greatest pressure at equilibrium, when your velocity is greatest - an idea counter-intuitive to the principles of simple harmonic motion.

Where I feel I've gone wrong is here: perhaps the pressure variance is not the force causing the air elements to oscillate, but if that were the case, where does the force come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of simple harmonic motion are you envisioning, a wave in a string?

In a spring-mass harmonic oscillator, would you agree that the restoring force is in phase with displacement due to Hooke's law?

olivermsun said:
What kind of simple harmonic motion are you envisioning, a wave in a string?

I'm speaking of sound waves specifically.

In a spring-mass harmonic oscillator, would you agree that the restoring force is in phase with displacement due to Hooke's law?

Well, I had figured the force would be out of phase by pi radians because the force is directed in the opposite direction of displacement (F = - Cx).

Sorry I misunderstood earlier.

It may be helpful to realize that the net force on an air parcel is not due to the acoustic pressure, but the pressure gradient.
(It actually is just like the example of a wave in a string, except there it's tension gradient).

Ah, right. Thank you.

Related to Sound Waves (simple harmonic motion and pressure dilemma)

1. What is a sound wave?

A sound wave is a type of mechanical wave that is created by a vibrating object and carries energy through a medium, such as air or water. It is characterized by its frequency, wavelength, and amplitude.

2. How do sound waves produce simple harmonic motion?

Sound waves are created by the back-and-forth motion of an object, which creates a series of compressions and rarefactions in the medium. This motion is a form of simple harmonic motion, where the object oscillates between two points with a constant frequency and amplitude.

3. What is the pressure dilemma in sound waves?

The pressure dilemma refers to the fact that sound waves can be described as both longitudinal waves (with particles moving in the same direction as the wave) and transverse waves (with particles moving perpendicular to the wave). This can be confusing because sound waves are typically thought of as longitudinal waves, but they also exhibit some characteristics of transverse waves.

4. How is the speed of sound related to simple harmonic motion?

The speed of sound is affected by the frequency and wavelength of the sound wave, which are both related to simple harmonic motion. As the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, resulting in a higher speed of sound. The amplitude of the wave also affects the speed of sound, as a larger amplitude leads to a higher intensity and therefore a faster speed.

5. Can sound waves produce other types of motion besides simple harmonic motion?

Yes, sound waves can produce other types of motion, such as standing waves, which occur when two waves with equal frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This results in nodes and antinodes, areas of minimum and maximum displacement, respectively. Sound waves can also produce complex vibrations in objects, such as in musical instruments, which can create a variety of different sounds and tones.