Sound Waves: Help Solving Problems

• Thread starter motherlovebone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the first problem involves finding the distance of a reflecting object based on the speed of sound and the time it takes for the sound to travel. The solution is to use the formula d=vt, where d represents the total distance traveled by the sound. The second problem involves finding the possible range of wavelengths produced by a violin based on its frequency range and the speed of sound. The solution is to use the formula \lambda=\frac{v}{f}, where \lambda represents the wavelength.
motherlovebone
I have been stumped on these problems for about a half an hour now, and I need some big help on them!

Problem 1:
"A sound wave traveling at 343 m/s is emitted by the foghorn of a tugboat. An echo is heard 2.60 s later. How far away is the reflecting object?"

I guessed that 2.60 s was the period, so I found the reciprocal to get the frequency. Once I did that, I put the speed of sound in for v in the equation v=frequency x wavelength. My answer, 891.8 m, sounds preposterous however.

Problem 2:
"The notes produced by a violin range in frequency from approximately 196 Hz to 2637 Hz. Find the possible range of wavelengths produced by the instrument when the speed of sound is 340 m/s."

For this one, would I use v=frequency x wavelength? I did 340 divided by 196, which was 1.735, then 340 divided by 2637, which was 0.129. So would the range of wavelengths be 0.129 to 1.735?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
motherlovebone said:
I have been stumped on these problems for about a half an hour now, and I need some big help on them!

Problem 1:
"A sound wave traveling at 343 m/s is emitted by the foghorn of a tugboat. An echo is heard 2.60 s later. How far away is the reflecting object?"
You know the distance, "d" traveled by the wave is equal to the velocity times the time: [tex]d=vt[/tex]. So if the sound is heard 2.6s later then the distance it must have traveled would be the distance from the boat to the wall plus the distance from the wall to the boat. In other words, twilce the distance fom the wall.
Problem 2:
"The notes produced by a violin range in frequency from approximately 196 Hz to 2637 Hz. Find the possible range of wavelengths produced by the instrument when the speed of sound is 340 m/s."

I don't know where to start, these were not explained in class today. Please help!
The wavelength, [itex]\lambda[/itex] is equal to to the speed of the wave, v, over the frequency, f:
[tex]\lambda=\frac{v}{f}[/tex]
So the maximum and minimum frequency give you the minimum and maxximum wavelength. By the way, in case your interested in where this formula came from, it makes sense. A frequency of, say, 2 Hz means that 2 waves pass you in 1s. If the waves are traveling at 10 meters every second and two pass you in a second, then they each must be 5 meters long, so [itex]\lambda=\frac{v}{f}[/itex]

I understand that solving problems involving sound waves can be tricky and require a deep understanding of the concepts involved. It is important to approach these problems systematically and use the proper equations to find accurate solutions.

For Problem 1, your approach was correct in using the equation v = frequency x wavelength. However, the period of 2.60 s is not the same as the frequency. The frequency is the number of cycles per second, while the period is the time it takes for one complete cycle. To find the frequency, you can take the reciprocal of the period, which in this case would be 1/2.60 s = 0.3846 Hz. Plugging this into the equation, we get 343 m/s = 0.3846 Hz x wavelength. Solving for the wavelength gives us 892 m, which is close to your initial answer but more accurate.

For Problem 2, your approach was also correct in using the equation v = frequency x wavelength. However, instead of dividing the speed of sound by the frequency, you should divide it by the lowest and highest frequencies to get the range of wavelengths. So the range of wavelengths would be 340 m/s / 196 Hz = 1.735 m and 340 m/s / 2637 Hz = 0.129 m.

I hope this helps you in solving these problems. Remember to always double check your units and use the correct equations for a successful solution. Don't hesitate to seek help from a teacher or fellow scientist if you are still struggling. Keep up the good work!

Related to Sound Waves: Help Solving Problems

1. What are sound waves?

Sound waves are a type of mechanical wave that carry energy through a medium, such as air or water. They are created by vibrating objects and travel in all directions from the source.

2. How do sound waves travel?

Sound waves travel by compressing and expanding the molecules in the medium they are traveling through. This creates a series of high and low pressure areas, which our ears interpret as sound.

3. What affects the speed of sound waves?

The speed of sound waves is affected by the density and elasticity of the medium they are traveling through. In general, sound travels faster through denser and more elastic materials, such as solids, than through less dense and less elastic materials, such as gases.

4. How can sound waves be used to solve problems?

Sound waves can be used to solve problems in a variety of ways. For example, they can be used in medical imaging techniques, such as ultrasound, to diagnose and treat medical conditions. They can also be used in technology, such as sonar, to locate objects underwater or underground.

5. What is the difference between high and low frequency sound waves?

The frequency of a sound wave refers to the number of vibrations per second and is measured in hertz (Hz). High frequency sound waves have a greater number of vibrations per second and are perceived as high-pitched sounds, while low frequency sound waves have a lower number of vibrations per second and are perceived as low-pitched sounds.