Does Wind Affect How We Perceive Sound Volume?

In summary, the sound between two houses in the same direction may be affected by wind, but it is probably not overly much.
kent davidge
I live in a country where people (unfortunately) have a culture of listening music at very high volume in their houses, frequently from their car. However I've been noticing that the sound some of the neighbours sound oscillates from time to time between a high volume and a "low" volume. I've been thinking that this is because they deliberately turn the volume up and down, but today I started thinking that maybe it's due to wind affecting the waves. What's more likely?

BTW do people in US/UK have this unfortunate habit, too?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the US, our audio amps go to 11.

Likes DennisN and davenn
kent davidge said:
I've been thinking that this is because they deliberately turn the volume up and down
Any neighbours playing devastating sounds all day, could be messing with you:wink:.

Then again, maybe it's because they are closing a door in their house? Or there is a movement of the sound? Wind shouldn't really affect the way the sound travels (at least what I know).

No real way of knowing. Maybe ask them whether they are messing with youo_O?

kent davidge said:
In Australia (nanny state), we have laws against this. You can be fined around 2 dollars per dB above a certain limit if it is after 7 PM on a weekday and 9 PM on a weekend. I could be wrong, but we have much too many laws and rules.

lekh2003 said:
Then again, maybe it's because they are closing a door in their house? Or there is a movement of the sound? Wind shouldn't really affect the way the sound travels (at least what I know).

it will affect it considerably, but probably not overly much between 2 houses side by side

You forgot that the air is the medium in which the sound travels, so if that medium is altered, then it will directly affect the propagation of sound

davenn said:
it will affect it considerably, but probably not overly much between 2 houses side by side

You forgot that the air is the medium in which the sound travels, so if that medium is altered, then it will directly affect the propagation of sound
Air is the medium, but then again, when I thought about it, when the houses would be so close together, how would subtle changes in the medium affect the sound to the point where there is a noticeable increase and decrease in volume.

Unless of course the wind is actually that strong that sound can simply not travel well at all. But as described by the OP, this seems to be pretty simple basic breeze between two decently spaced houses.

Likes davenn
lekh2003 said:
Air is the medium, but then again, when I thought about it, when the houses would be so close together, how would subtle changes in the medium affect the sound to the point where there is a noticeable increase and decrease in volume.

as I hinted ... yes :smile:
if the windows/doors of the adjoining homes were facing each other, the gap is probably only a few metres and the effect would probably not be noticeableD

Likes lekh2003
berkeman said:
In the US, our audio amps go to 11.

we only have 5 settings on our amps in Australia
off, soft, loud, very loud and window shattering :wink:
kent davidge said:
seriously tho. loud noise/music from neighbours can be a problem in any country
in New Zealand and Australia, most city/town councils have noise control officers that will work with offenders and also with the police when necessary

Dave

Likes lekh2003
A gradient in wind speed can affect sound:
vindhast_2.png

https://recordingsofnature.wordpress.com/2016/04/02/road-noise-and-the-influence-of-weather-factors/

Attachments

• vindhast_2.png
    vindhast_2.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 356
Thanks to all.

On the same way that we have Weinberg's three volumes in QFT, is anyone aware of an advanced book on the theory of waves?

Related to Does Wind Affect How We Perceive Sound Volume?

What is sound volume and how is it measured?

Sound volume is the loudness or intensity of sound, typically measured in decibels (dB). Decibels are a logarithmic unit used to compare the sound pressure level to a reference level. The higher the decibel level, the louder the sound.

What factors affect sound volume in everyday life?

The main factors that affect sound volume in everyday life are the distance from the sound source, the level of background noise, and the characteristics of the sound itself (such as frequency and amplitude). Other factors can include the size and shape of the space where the sound is occurring, as well as the individual's own hearing abilities.

How can exposure to loud sounds affect our hearing over time?

Repeated exposure to loud sounds can damage the delicate hair cells in our inner ear, leading to permanent hearing loss. The louder the sound and the longer the exposure, the greater the risk of damage. It is important to protect our ears from excessive noise and to take breaks from loud environments.

What are some ways to control sound volume in different environments?

There are several ways to control sound volume in different environments. In noisy environments, using earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones can help reduce the volume of outside sounds. In quiet environments, using sound-absorbing materials such as carpets and curtains can help reduce echoes and overall sound volume. Additionally, adjusting the distance from the sound source and the volume settings on electronic devices can also help control sound volume.

What are some potential health risks associated with exposure to high sound volumes?

Exposure to high sound volumes can lead to temporary or permanent hearing loss, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), and other hearing-related conditions. It can also cause physical discomfort, stress, and fatigue. Sustained exposure to high sound volumes can also impact our overall mental and emotional well-being.