Sound radiation from a pulsating sphere

In summary, to find the distance r where the measured acoustic pressure is 5x10^-2, use the given equations and values to solve for the amplitude, particle velocity, angular frequency, and wave number, and then substitute these values into the velocity potential equation to solve for r.
mk55

Homework Statement

Consider a pulsating sphere of radius 0.15m pulsating at a frequency of 2000Hz and surface velocity v[itex]_{}0[/itex]=0.07m/s. What is the distance r, where the measured acoustic pressure is 5x10[itex]^{}-2[/itex].
speed of sound c=343m/s
mass density of air ρ[itex]_{}0[/itex]=1.25kg/m3

Homework Equations

i know I am supposed to use these equations:
φ=(A/r)e^(ikr-iωt)
p'=-ρ[itex]_{}0[/itex](dφ/dt)
v=dφ/dr
v=v[itex]_{}0[/itex]e^(-iωt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have differantiated the velocity potential function (φ) and substituted in the formula for p'. i also substituted the value of p' which is 5x10^-2 but after that I am stuck because I am not sure how to work out t.

Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with using the equations provided to solve for the distance r where the measured acoustic pressure is 5x10^-2. Here are the steps I would recommend taking to find the solution:

1. Start by setting up the equation for the velocity potential, φ=(A/r)e^(ikr-iωt), where A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, and ω is the angular frequency.

2. Use the given values for the radius, frequency, and surface velocity to solve for the amplitude A.

3. Next, differentiate the velocity potential with respect to time to find the particle velocity, v=dφ/dt.

4. Substitute the given value for the surface velocity v_0=0.07m/s and the particle velocity v into the equation v=v_0e^(-iωt) to solve for ωt.

5. Use the given value for the speed of sound c=343m/s to solve for the wave number k.

6. Now, substitute the values for A, k, and ωt into the velocity potential equation and solve for r. This will give you the distance at which the measured acoustic pressure is 5x10^-2.

I hope this helps you find the solution you are looking for. it is important to carefully consider all the given information and use the appropriate equations to find a solution. Keep up the good work!

Related to Sound radiation from a pulsating sphere

1. What is sound radiation from a pulsating sphere?

Sound radiation from a pulsating sphere is the process of sound waves being emitted from a sphere that is expanding and contracting in a pulsating manner. This is a common phenomenon observed in many physical systems, including stars and musical instruments.

2. How does a pulsating sphere produce sound?

A pulsating sphere produces sound through the displacement of air molecules. As the sphere expands and contracts, it causes disturbances in the surrounding air molecules, creating compression and rarefaction waves that result in audible sound.

3. What factors affect the sound radiation from a pulsating sphere?

The sound radiation from a pulsating sphere is influenced by several factors, including the frequency of pulsation, the size and shape of the sphere, the medium in which the sphere is pulsating, and the speed of sound in that medium.

4. Can sound radiation from a pulsating sphere be measured?

Yes, sound radiation from a pulsating sphere can be measured using specialized equipment such as microphones and sound level meters. The resulting measurements can be used to analyze the characteristics of the sound waves and the behavior of the pulsating sphere.

5. How is the sound radiation from a pulsating sphere used in scientific research?

The study of sound radiation from a pulsating sphere has applications in various scientific fields, including astrophysics, acoustics, and fluid dynamics. It can help us understand the behavior of stars, improve the design of musical instruments, and study the interaction between sound waves and different media.