Sound Frequency & Pipe Wall Thickness

In summary, the thicker walled tube produces a higher frequency than the thinner walled tube. It is possible that this difference is due to different materials used or a different heat treatment.
Daimion
TL;DR Summary
Why, when striking an open tube, a thicker walled tube produces a higher frequency than a thinner walled tube?
We have 2 open metal tubes, made of Stainless Steel. They both are the same length of 1 metre, and and Outer Diameter of 76mm. One pipe has a wall thickness of 1.5mm, and the other has a wall thickness of 2.0mm.

It was our reasonable guess that the tube with 2.0mm wall thickness, should producing a lower frequency. However, when we strike it, it actually produces a higher frequency than the one with 1.5mm wall thickness.

Why is that?

One consideration we had - since they both had the same Outer Diameter, the volume of air inside the tube with a thicker wall is less, and affects the frequency somehow to make it higher?

An extended question, would this "thicker wall = higher frequency" pattern have the same effect in a pipe organ? The difference that the frequency is produced by the moving air vs the vibration of the tube walls.

Thanks! Really hoping to understand wall thickness vs frequency effect better.

[Edit] I've taken a video to show clearly the sound difference between the two pipes, if that helps.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

There are two things happening.
Firstly; the mass of the thicker wall tube will reduce the frequency.
Secondly; the elasticity of the metal will produce a greater restoring force from the thicker wall tube, that will raise the frequency.

You must find an expression for the resonant frequency of the tube to identify which effect will be the greater.

I would want to know if the stainless steel alloy used to make the tubes was identical.
There is also a possibility that a different heat treatment, or the age of the tubes, causes a difference to the restoring force.

Last edited:
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

There are two things happening.
Firstly; the mass of the thicker wall tube will reduce the frequency.
Secondly; the elasticity of the metal will produce a greater restoring force from the thicker wall tube, that will raise the frequency.

You must find an expression for the resonant frequency of the tube to identify which effect will be the greater.

I would want to know if the stainless steel alloy used to make the tubes was identical.
There is also a possibility that a different heat treatment, or the age of the tubes, causes a difference to the restoring force.

Thanks for help, and yes, my understanding was that the thicker wall should reduce the frequency, yet it seems the reverse. As for materials, both pipes are made the same and from 304 stainless steel.

I've captured it on video, both with the pipes standing upright on the floor, and laid on my bed sideways (so it is open at both end).

When standing on the floor, the tube on the right is 2mm thick, and the tube on the left is 1.5mm
When laying down, the tube on the left is 2mm thick, and the tube on the right is 1.5mm

Video unavailable
This video is private

Baluncore said:
Video unavailable
This video is private
My mistake, have made it viewable now

There was someone that posted a question about tube resonances and why the thick walled tube had a higher frequency. But it is gone?!? Anyway, I'm stubborn (and actually put some effort in the answer), so here is my answer anyway:

Question:
A tube with outer diameter of 76mm and length of 1m is hit, why does the tube with wall 2mm have a higher frequency than the one with 1.5mm diameter. How does this relate to a pipe organ.I've done a very quick FEM modal analysis. I think the deformation mode for sound is not a bending motion but rather something like below, where the wall of the pipe is deformed. In the solution below the 2mm wall has a significantly higher eigenfrequency than the 1.5mm thick wall. So stiffness wins from mass in this case.

Also, a pipe in a pipe organ is a helmholtz resonator. This is all air that is moving, not the pipes themselves. This means that thickness should not have an influence there.

1.5mm thick:
1648470197599.png
2mm thick:
1648470221545.png

Likes nasu

Related to Sound Frequency & Pipe Wall Thickness

1. What is the relationship between sound frequency and pipe wall thickness?

The relationship between sound frequency and pipe wall thickness is inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency of sound increases, the required wall thickness of the pipe decreases. This is because higher frequency sound waves have shorter wavelengths and can easily pass through thinner barriers.

2. How does pipe wall thickness affect the transmission of sound?

Pipe wall thickness plays a crucial role in the transmission of sound. Thinner walls allow for more sound to pass through, while thicker walls act as a barrier and reduce the amount of sound that can transmit through the pipe. Therefore, the thicker the pipe wall, the lower the sound transmission.

3. Can sound frequency affect the structural integrity of a pipe?

Yes, sound frequency can affect the structural integrity of a pipe. High frequency sound waves can cause vibrations in the pipe, which can lead to fatigue and potential failure over time. This is why it is important to consider the frequency of sound when determining the appropriate wall thickness for a pipe.

4. How does the material of a pipe affect its ability to transmit sound?

The material of a pipe can greatly impact its ability to transmit sound. Different materials have different densities and stiffness, which can affect the speed and intensity of sound waves passing through them. Generally, denser and stiffer materials are better at transmitting sound, while softer and more porous materials can absorb or dampen sound waves.

5. Is there a specific pipe wall thickness that is ideal for all sound frequencies?

No, there is no one ideal pipe wall thickness for all sound frequencies. The appropriate wall thickness will depend on the specific frequency of sound and the desired level of sound transmission. Factors such as the material and length of the pipe will also play a role in determining the ideal wall thickness for a given sound frequency.