Sometimes I feel like a calculator

• Thread starter 5ymmetrica1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of understanding the real-world applications of math and physics, specifically for students who excel at manipulating numbers and equations but struggle with conceptualizing them. It is common for students to have a stronger aptitude for one over the other, but developing a language-like understanding of math can help bridge the gap. Practice and immersion are key to improving in this area.
5ymmetrica1
Ok so the title is a bit of an over-kill, but seriously sometimes I feel like when I'm doing math my brain is like a calculator. (though no where near as efficient of course)

I'm able to work a solution based on what I'm given, but I'm just a number cruncher, and I don't seem to understand what the consequences of my equations really mean a lot of the time. You give me some numbers or whatever and I punch them in and give you the answer.
But the concept and underlying processes of what's occurring with the numbers or letters in the equation sometimes is not always visible to me, I just do what I know the rules are for what I'm trying to solve, as if you typed in a problem on a calculator.

I'm a numbers person, and I seem to be able to manipulate numbers and equations very quickly but I have a lot of trouble conceptualizing those numbers to a particular phenomena or situation. It hasn't been a hindrance to me yet in my education, as high school physics isn't particularly hard to get a grasp of, but I'm concerned about university where I'm sure I'll be asked to relate mathematics to real world situations rather then just a set of problems on a sheet of paper.

what I'd like to know is, is this a common thing amongst people who enjoy math and physics, to be better at either one or the other? (E.g. conceptualizing and analysing, equating and manipulating numbers ect)

Physics news on Phys.org
It is very common for students to find themselves more confident with the numbers than they are with the applications ... courses try to instill in you a feeling for the real-world applications by giving you word-problems and practical exercises.

If you are very proficient with algebra and manipulating equations, then your best path is probably towards using algebra as a language to describe real-world events. Then you will start to see the connections.

Hey simon thanks for the reply.

I'm not above average in my algebra skills really, I'm not doing higher level math then anyone else whos doing well in my 2 math classes, I just find that once I know the rules I'm pretty good at manipulating the numbers, and re-arranging things as they need to be, I've never found that the difficult part of math. I don't have any problem with understanding the rules and laws of math either, It's the abstract word problems that force you to think outside the box that I have the most trouble with.

I guess I wondered if it was something that you either have or don't have, or rather if as you say it is something that you learn through doing a lot of these kinds of problems that force you to use a simple theorem or equation in a much more difficult real-world application.

5ymmetrica1 said:
I guess I wondered if it was something that you either have or don't have, or rather if as you say it is something that you learn through doing a lot of these kinds of problems that force you to use a simple theorem or equation in a much more difficult real-world application.
It is something nobody starts out with but some people have a background that gives them more natural aptitude than others.

It is exactly like learning a language - you learn best by immersion.
It is hard at first but just keep on doing and watching what others do and you'll get it.
The language idea is key - the word problems are a matter of, initially, extracting the important information from a description and representing that information in math. Once you have that part, the rest often writes itself.

I can definitely relate to feeling like a calculator at times. Mathematics is a fundamental tool in many scientific disciplines, and it is often necessary to manipulate numbers and equations in order to understand and solve complex problems. However, I believe that it is important to not just see ourselves as mere number crunchers, but also as critical thinkers and problem solvers.

It is not uncommon for people to have strengths in different areas of math and science. Some may excel at conceptualizing and analyzing, while others may have a knack for equating and manipulating numbers. However, it is important to continue developing and honing all of these skills in order to be successful in the scientific field.

In university, you will likely encounter more complex and real-world problems that require a deeper understanding of the underlying concepts behind the equations. This is where your ability to conceptualize and analyze will be crucial. However, your proficiency in manipulating numbers and equations will also be important in finding solutions to these problems.

My advice is to continue practicing and challenging yourself in both areas of math and science. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek help when needed. With dedication and hard work, you will be able to excel in both conceptualizing and manipulating numbers and equations, and become a well-rounded scientist.

Related to Sometimes I feel like a calculator

1. What does the phrase "Sometimes I feel like a calculator" mean?

The phrase "Sometimes I feel like a calculator" is often used to express feeling overwhelmed or like one is constantly calculating and processing information, similar to how a calculator functions.

2. Is there a scientific explanation for why someone might feel like a calculator?

While there is no scientific explanation specifically for feeling like a calculator, it could be related to cognitive overload or stress, which can make one feel like they are constantly processing and calculating information.

3. Can someone actually think and function like a calculator?

No, humans do not have the same processing capabilities as a calculator. While we can perform complex calculations, our brains also have the ability to think creatively and make decisions based on emotion and intuition.

4. How can one cope with feeling like a calculator?

If someone is feeling overwhelmed or constantly calculating, it is important to take breaks and engage in activities that allow for relaxation and creativity. Finding healthy ways to manage stress can also be helpful.

5. Is feeling like a calculator a common experience?

Feeling like a calculator can be a common experience for individuals in high-stress or demanding occupations, such as scientists, engineers, or accountants. However, it is not a universal experience and can vary greatly among individuals.