Some questions regarding the initial singularity

In summary: Neither of which has any relevance for the actual cosmological models we use to describe our universe.
momo666
I seem to have missed the opportunity to post my questions on a related thread so I hope this is okay.

First, a request. I have read on this forum that ["Singularity" is just shorthand for "the place where the math model breaks down and we don't know WHAT is/was happening".].
Since the wiki doesn't have a lot of info on this matter, are there any respected sources to back this claim up?

I also have 2 questions:

1)Does the Big Bang singularity require space-time or space/time to exist? Does it require anything at all to exist or can it be an independent entity on its own?

2)Can it be said that the singularity is the Universe in another form? If so, can we say that the Universe is eternal? Do we have any reason to suspect( in the models that point towards a singularity) that the said singularity did not exist eternally into the past?
I know the second question is not framed right since as far as I know in the models that have the initial singularity, time does not exist prior to the Big Bang expansion but I hope you get my point.

Space news on Phys.org
momo666 said:
I have read on this forum that ["Singularity" is just shorthand for "the place where the math model breaks down and we don't know WHAT is/was happening".].
Since the wiki doesn't have a lot of info on this matter, are there any respected sources to back this claim up?

Sure, look at any cosmology textbook. Or look at any GR textbook; most of them discuss the application of GR to cosmology, which includes the "math model" you refer to here. But also, you should be aware that the math model which breaks down at the singularity is a highly idealized one that no cosmologist believes actually applies to our universe. See below.

momo666 said:
I also have 2 questions

Both of which can only be answered for the highly idealized model I described above. Neither of them has any relevance for the actual cosmological models we use to describe our universe.

momo666 said:
Does the Big Bang singularity require space-time or space/time to exist?

The singularity is not part of spacetime at all, and does not "exist" in the sense that it is an actual "place" or "time" in spacetime. It's just an abstract limit that we can take as we go back in time in the idealized model; as that limit is approached, spacetime curvature in the model increases without bound. But the limit itself is not part of spacetime and does not "exist" even in the highly idealized model.

momo666 said:
Can it be said that the singularity is the Universe in another form?

No. See above.

Likes momo666
That is a question that has perplexed scientists and philosophers for over 80 years. Truth is we do not have a complete unequivocal description of what constitutes a black hole singularity. Therein lies the problem - the question is too loosely framed to permit a cogent answer. Singularites laugh in the face of our very notions of physical reality. The answer 'The point at which our theories break down.' while true, is merely evasive. 'The point at which our fundamental notions of reality break down.' is a better answer, IMO. Concepts like time, space, matter and energy all seem to fall apart at a singularity. A good discussion of these issues is offered by Curiel and Bokulich here http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/spacetime-singularities/.

Likes jacquelineg and momo666
I'm amazed at how little we actually know. Even with all of our advanced technology and knowledge, we're still relying on philosophy to answer our most basic questions. I guess that's really what I'm here for, is to try and figure out what we actually know, then try to put my worldview into that context.

Likes Fervent Freyja

Related to Some questions regarding the initial singularity

1. What is the initial singularity?

The initial singularity is a theoretical concept in physics that refers to the point in time and space where the universe was infinitely dense and hot, before the Big Bang. It is the starting point of the universe as we know it.

2. How is the initial singularity related to the Big Bang theory?

The initial singularity is the key component of the Big Bang theory. It is the event that triggered the expansion of the universe, leading to the formation of galaxies, stars, and eventually, life. The Big Bang theory explains the evolution of the universe from this initial singularity to its current state.

3. Can we observe the initial singularity?

No, we cannot observe the initial singularity directly because it is beyond the limits of our current technology and understanding. However, scientists can study the effects of the initial singularity on the universe through observations and experiments, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation.

4. What caused the initial singularity?

The exact cause of the initial singularity is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that it was the result of a quantum fluctuation, while others propose that it was the collapse of a previous universe. However, the ultimate cause of the initial singularity remains unknown.

5. Is the concept of the initial singularity widely accepted in the scientific community?

Yes, the concept of the initial singularity is widely accepted among scientists and is a fundamental part of the Big Bang theory. However, there are ongoing discussions and research to refine our understanding of the initial singularity and its role in the formation of the universe.