Some problems no clue what to do

• Thread starter kevinlikesphysics
  • Start date
In summary: What should it weigh on Jupiter, where g is 2.64 times Earth's gravity? ... 5. [SFHS99 4.P.47.] A 4.66 kg briefcase is sitting at rest on a level floor. (a) What is its acceleration? ... (b) What is its weight in Newtons? N 6. [SFHS99 4.P.52.] A 92 kg clock initially at rest on a horizontal floor requires a 656 N horizontal force to set it in motion. After the clock is in motion, a horizontal force of 556 N keeps it moving with a constant speed. 7
kevinlikesphysics
ok even if this seem simple to you please help me i failed the test and ihave to do corrections so could someone please help me out

1. A 14 kg bucket of water is raised from a well by a rope. If the upward acceleration of the bucket is 2.2 m/s2, find the force exerted by the rope on the bucket of water.
in Newtons

2. A boat moves through the water with two forces acting on it. One is a 6.5 103 N forward push by the motor, and the other is a 0.9 103 N resistive force due to the water.

(a) What is the acceleration of the 1200 kg boat?
m/s2
(b) If it starts from rest, how far will it move in 9 s? in
m
(c) What will its velocity be at the end of this time interval? in
m/s

3. [SFHS99 4.P.27.] A 2 kg ball is dropped from the roof of a building 230 m high. While the ball is falling to Earth, a horizontal wind exerts a constant force of 12.0 N on it.

(a) How far from the building does the ball hit the ground?
m
(b) How long does it take to hit the ground?
s
(c) What is its speed when it hits the ground?
m/s

4. A loaf of bread weighs 4.1 N on Earth.

(a) What should it weigh, in Newtons, on the moon, where the acceleration due to gravity is one-sixth that on Earth?
N
(b) What should it weigh on Jupiter, where g is 2.64 times Earth's gravity?
N

5. [SFHS99 4.P.47.] A 4.66 kg briefcase is sitting at rest on a level floor.

(a) What is its acceleration?
m/s2
(b) What is its weight in Newtons?
N

6. [SFHS99 4.P.52.] A 92 kg clock initially at rest on a horizontal floor requires a 656 N horizontal force to set it in motion. After the clock is in motion, a horizontal force of 556 N keeps it moving with a constant speed.

7. [SFHS99 4.P.56.] A car is traveling at 50.1 km/h on a flat highway.

(a) If the coefficient of friction between the road and the tires on a rainy day is 0.100, what is the minimum distance needed for the car to stop?
m
(b) What is the stopping distance when the surface is dry and the coefficient of friction is 0.600?
m

8. [SFHS99 4.P.64.] A hockey puck is hit on a frozen lake and starts moving with a speed of 13 m/s. Exactly 5.00 s later, its speed is 5.9 m/s.

(a) What is its average acceleration?
m/s2
(b) What is the average value of the coefficient of kinetic friction between puck and ice?

(c) How far does the puck travel during this 5.00 s interval?
m

9. [SFHS99 4.P.59.] A girl coasts down a hill on a sled, reaching the bottom with a speed of 8.6 m/s. The coefficient of friction between the sled's runners and the snow is 0.050, and the girl and sled together weigh 675 N. How far does the sled travel on the surface before coming to rest?
m

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you at least post the answers that need to be corrected? So people can see what exactly was wrong and where?

AS you know first you need to find the external forces acting on system and then use :

[tex]\sum \vec{F} = m \vec{a}[/tex]

I'll do #1 for you (other questions are almost like that). Then tell us what you've done for the rest, and then someone will help you.

kevinlikesphysics said:
1. A 14 kg bucket of water is raised from a well by a rope. If the upward acceleration of the bucket is 2.2 m/s2, find the force exerted by the rope on the bucket of water.
in Newtons
We have 2 forces here:
1. The weight of the bucket which is downward: [tex]m \vec{g}[/tex]
2. The force by the rope which should be upward in orderto overcome the weight and gives the bucket an upward acceleation: [tex] \vec {T}[/tex]

Now we have: [tex]T -m g = ma[/tex]
You have m, g, a. So you can find T.

2. A boat moves through the water with two forces acting on it. One is a 6.5 103 N forward push by the motor, and the other is a 0.9 103 N resistive force due to the water.

(a) What is the acceleration of the 1200 kg boat?
m/s2
(b) If it starts from rest, how far will it move in 9 s? in
m
(c) What will its velocity be at the end of this time interval? in
m/s

3. [SFHS99 4.P.27.] A 2 kg ball is dropped from the roof of a building 230 m high. While the ball is falling to Earth, a horizontal wind exerts a constant force of 12.0 N on it.

(a) How far from the building does the ball hit the ground?
m
(b) How long does it take to hit the ground?
s
(c) What is its speed when it hits the ground?
m/s

(a) What should it weigh, in Newtons, on the moon, where the acceleration due to gravity is one-sixth that on Earth?
N
N

m/s2
N

6. [SFHS99 4.P.52.] A 92 kg clock initially at rest on a horizontal floor requires a 656 N horizontal force to set it in motion. After the clock is in motion, a horizontal force of 556 N keeps it moving with a constant speed.

7. [SFHS99 4.P.56.] A car is traveling at 50.1 km/h on a flat highway.

(a) If the coefficient of friction between the road and the tires on a rainy day is 0.100, what is the minimum distance needed for the car to stop?
m
(b) What is the stopping distance when the surface is dry and the coefficient of friction is 0.600?
m

8. [SFHS99 4.P.64.] A hockey puck is hit on a frozen lake and starts moving with a speed of 13 m/s. Exactly 5.00 s later, its speed is 5.9 m/s.

(a) What is its average acceleration?
m/s2
(b) What is the average value of the coefficient of kinetic friction between puck and ice?

(c) How far does the puck travel during this 5.00 s interval?
m

9. [SFHS99 4.P.59.] A girl coasts down a hill on a sled, reaching the bottom with a speed of 8.6 m/s. The coefficient of friction between the sled's runners and the snow is 0.050, and the girl and sled together weigh 675 N. How far does the sled travel on the surface before coming to rest?
m

thanks

Last edited:
sorry about that the answers where on a different sheet we had to do them all over from scratch to try and get half credit back i didnt know i had to use t-mg =ma that helped a lot i was using ma =fa-fk i just need that forumla thanks a lot though sorry about that.

What about the rest? Can you do them now?

not all of them I am kinda stuck i don't know how to solve for the problems involving coefficients of friction i don't know how to us the Fk =uK-Fn to find the distance travel and the acceleration for instance number 9 and number 3 i don't know hwo to do either

N
N
Aren't you supposed to use F = m a = m g ?
m/s2
N
(a) What is the acceleration acting on any object on Earth without which all would be adrift in space?
(b) F = m a = m g

i already had those right i can't get 3 or 9 was what i was saying

Last edited:
For 3.a, draw a diagram of a ball falling and being pushed by a wind. It will be a triangle. The units of the triangle should either be meters or m/s but not both. You need to calculate the base of the triangle (the distance from the building). I think you'll need to use a trig function to calculate the triangle's base.

ok, i got all of them except 8b 3 and 7. i have no clue for 7 and 8b because i need a wieght i figure out how fast it will slow down and i can't find Fk without the normal force 3 I am not sure of but i could figure it out if i take my time

Last edited:
I am not a physicist; can you write the definition for coef. of friction?

force of kinetic friction = coeficient of kinectic friction *normal force

normal force = ma

You do not need to know the weight. I always use the symbols to solve the equation, and only into the final one will I place the values. I recommend this approach.

m will cancel out, just keep the equations rolling.

oik thanks ill give it a shot

ok i have no clue how does the m cancel out i don't even know how to use force in the equation i only have an initial velocity and a coeficient of kinetic friction

Last edited:

Related to Some problems no clue what to do

1. What is the scientific method and how can it help me solve problems?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to problem-solving that involves making observations, asking questions, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data. This method can help you break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and guide you towards finding a solution.

2. How can I improve my critical thinking skills to better solve problems?

Critical thinking is the ability to analyze and evaluate information objectively to form a judgment or make a decision. To improve your critical thinking skills, you can practice asking questions, evaluating evidence, and considering alternative perspectives. Engaging in activities such as puzzles, brain teasers, and debates can also help sharpen your critical thinking abilities.

3. What are some common roadblocks to problem-solving and how can I overcome them?

Some common roadblocks to problem-solving include fear of failure, lack of creativity, and cognitive biases. To overcome these obstacles, you can try reframing the problem, seeking advice from others, brainstorming multiple solutions, and challenging your assumptions.

4. How can I apply problem-solving skills in my everyday life?

Problem-solving skills are applicable in various aspects of everyday life, such as in personal relationships, at work, and in decision-making processes. By practicing the steps of the scientific method, actively seeking solutions to problems, and being open to new ideas, you can improve your problem-solving abilities and apply them to different situations.

5. How can I use technology to aid in problem-solving?

Technology can be a valuable tool in problem-solving. For example, you can use online resources to research information and gather data, use spreadsheets and data analysis tools to organize and analyze data, and utilize various software programs and apps to brainstorm solutions and create visual aids. However, it is important to also critically evaluate the reliability and accuracy of the technology you are using.