Solving y=mx+b with a Table of Values

• Thread starter ve3rfd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary: This will give you the value of y at any given time, assuming that x0 and v are given. In summary, the OP is trying to find the equation of the line that connects the points (x0, y0) and (x, y) as a function of time. Once they have that equation, they can use it to solve for y at any given time.
ve3rfd
I am having trouble figureing out the y = mx + b of this if the table of values look like

Distance Time (s)
25.000 0.000
24.920 1.000
24.678 2.000
24.269 3.000
23.685 4.000
22.913 5.000
21.932 6.000
20.712 7.000
19.209 8.000
17.349 9.000
15.000 10.000
11.874 11.000
7.000 12.000
0.000 13.000

I am tring to find out the y = mx + b of this curve and then I have to figure out the derivative of the curve? Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are those (x,y) values? If so, what do you have for y when x=0? If you put that point into y=mx+b, what does that point tell you about b?

If you graph the points, do you get a straight line?

Well if you look at the position as a function of time and write

x(t)=mt+b,

you should at least be able to find what b is by looking at the first set of data:

Distance Time (s)
25.000 0.000

At t=0.000, x=25.000.

A little effort.

I am having trouble getting the slope? Because the graph is a curve and the y value decreases as time increases.

I will be interested in seeing what line you choose to draw through that data.

Integral said:
I will be interested in seeing what line you choose to draw through that data.
Yeah, no kidding. I just graphed it in Excel, and she's not a straight line. Not even close.

So to the original poster (OP), what *exactly* is the problem statement?

Is this the data for the free fall of an object?

2000 posts! *champagne and trumpets*

This is the question A 25 ft long ladder is resting against a vertical wall and the bottom of the ladder is moving out at a fixed rate of 2.00 ft per second. Graph x and y as functions of time. and I did x which is easy and the y = mx + b was y = 1/2x + 0 I just need some help with y?

ve3rfd said:
This is the question A 25 ft long ladder is resting against a vertical wall and the bottom of the ladder is moving out at a fixed rate of 2.00 ft per second. Graph x and y as functions of time. and I did x which is easy and the y = mx + b was y = 1/2x + 0 I just need some help with y?

Well, x(t) is of the form mx +b, precisely, x(t) = v*t + x0, where the velocity of the bottom of the ladder is given, as should the initial position x0 be. Now simply use the Pythagora's theorem x^2+y^2 = 25^2, and express y out of it. After doing this, plug your function x(t) into the obtained equation, to get the function y(t).

Related to Solving y=mx+b with a Table of Values

1. How do I use a table of values to solve for y=mx+b?

To solve for y=mx+b using a table of values, first assign a value to x and plug it into the equation. Then, use the given slope (m) and y-intercept (b) to find the corresponding y-value. Repeat this process for multiple values of x to create a table. Finally, plot the points on a graph and connect them to create a line representing the equation.

2. Do I need to use every value of x in the table to solve for y=mx+b?

No, you do not need to use every value of x in the table. It is recommended to choose a range of values that will create a clear and accurate representation of the equation on the graph. Usually, 5-7 values of x are sufficient.

3. How do I know if my table of values is correct?

To ensure the accuracy of your table of values, you can check that the points you have plotted on the graph follow a straight line. Additionally, you can plug in the given values of x into the equation and make sure that the corresponding y-values match the ones in your table.

4. Can I use a table of values to solve for y=mx+b if the equation is not in slope-intercept form?

Yes, you can still use a table of values to solve for y=mx+b even if the equation is not in slope-intercept form. However, you may need to rearrange the equation to get it in the form y=mx+b before plugging in values for x.

5. Are there any limitations to using a table of values to solve for y=mx+b?

One limitation of using a table of values to solve for y=mx+b is that it may not provide an exact solution. The table can give you a good estimate of the solution, but it may not be exact due to rounding errors or a limited number of values used. It is always recommended to double-check your solution by plugging in the values of x and y into the original equation.