Solving y''+3iy'+y=cos(2t) with Undetermined Coefficients

In summary, to solve the differential equation y''+3iy'+y=cos(2t) using undetermined coefficients, the guess y=Ae^{2it} is made and the values of y' and y'' are found. Solving for A results in A=-1/9. The real part is taken when multiplied to Euler's formula, but when plugged back in to check, it doesn't work. A better solution is to use y_p=A\cos(2t)+B\sin(2t) and equate coefficients. It is also important to not be intimidated by the imaginary coefficient and to use regular complex arithmetic.
cragar
If I wanted to solve this [itex] y''+3iy'+y=cos(2t) [/itex] using undetermined coefficients.
and I make the guess [itex] y=Ae^{2it} [/itex]
then i find y' and y'' and then solve for A. I get that A=-1/9
then I take the real part when I multiply it to Eulers formula.
But when I plug this back into check it doesn't work.
Is there something weird going on because I have an imaginary coefficient in front of the y'.

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:
If I wanted to solve this [itex] y''+3iy'+y=cos(2t) [/itex] using undetermined coefficients.
and I make the guess [itex] y=Ae^{2it} [/itex]
then i find y' and y'' and then solve for A. I get that A=-1/9
then I take the real part when I multiply it to Eulers formula.
But when I plug this back into check it doesn't work.
Is there something weird going on because I have an imaginary coefficient in front of the y'.

Better, try : y = A exp(2it) +B exp(-2it)
with cos(2t) = (1/2)exp(2it) + (1/2)exp(-2it)

How about even more better:

[tex]y_p=A\cos(2t)+B\sin(2t)[/tex]

slap it in (the DE), equate coefficients, bingo-bango.

Also, nothing (algebraic) changes if not only the coefficients are complex but everything else like y and x are complex too. So don't let the i thing intimiate you. Just use regular ordinary complex arithemetic and muscle-through the algebra like always.

Last edited:
okay thanks for the advice

It is possible that there is an error in your calculations or in the way you are checking the solution. It is important to carefully check each step of the process to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it is possible that the solution you have found is a particular solution, but not the general solution to the differential equation. It may be necessary to use other methods, such as variation of parameters, to find the general solution. It is also worth noting that the presence of an imaginary coefficient in front of y' does not necessarily indicate that something weird is going on. This is a common occurrence in differential equations and can be handled using standard techniques. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the method and double check your work to ensure an accurate solution.

Related to Solving y''+3iy'+y=cos(2t) with Undetermined Coefficients

1. What is the purpose of using Undetermined Coefficients to solve this differential equation?

The purpose of using Undetermined Coefficients is to find a particular solution to the given differential equation. This method is used when the non-homogeneous term can be expressed as a linear combination of known functions, in this case, cos(2t). By assuming a particular form for the solution and solving for the coefficients, we can find a specific solution that satisfies the original equation.

2. How do I determine the form of the particular solution for this equation?

The form of the particular solution depends on the form of the non-homogeneous term. In this case, since the non-homogeneous term is a trigonometric function, we assume a particular solution in the form of Acos(2t) + Bsin(2t). The constants A and B will be determined through the solving process.

3. Can Undetermined Coefficients be used for all types of non-homogeneous differential equations?

No, Undetermined Coefficients can only be used for non-homogeneous differential equations where the non-homogeneous term can be expressed as a linear combination of known functions. If the non-homogeneous term is not in this form, other methods such as variation of parameters or Laplace transforms may be used.

4. How do I find the complementary solution to this differential equation?

The complementary solution, also known as the homogeneous solution, can be found by setting the non-homogeneous term to 0 and solving for the equation y''+3iy'+y=0. This can be solved using standard techniques for second-order linear differential equations, such as finding the roots of the characteristic equation.

5. What do I do if the non-homogeneous term is a sum of multiple functions?

If the non-homogeneous term is a sum of multiple functions, we can still use the method of Undetermined Coefficients by assuming a particular solution in the form of a linear combination of the corresponding particular solutions for each individual function. The coefficients for each particular solution can then be determined through the solving process.