Solving Wave Superposition: Amplitude & Phase

In summary, to determine the amplitude and phase of the luminous disturbance produced by the superposition of N waves with the same amplitude and phases increasing in an arithmetic progression, one can use the trig identity cos(u+\delta) and the Euler form of the waves to find the resultant wave. The amplitude of the resultant wave can be found using the formula A*=√(A^2(∑cosδ_n)^2+(∑sinδ_n)^2), while the phase can be found using the formula eiθ=Ae^{iδ(N+1)/2}sin(Nδ/2)/sin(δ/2).
Lavabug

Homework Statement

Determine the amplitude and phase of the luminous disturbance produced by the superposition of N waves of the same amplitude and phases which increase in an arithmetic progression ([itex]\delta[/itex],[itex]2\delta[/itex], ...[itex]n\delta[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the trig identity cos(u+[itex]\delta[/itex]), where [itex] u=(kr-\omega t) [/itex] I rewrite the resulting wave(with asterisks), which is a linear combination of n waves with different phases. Associating the coefficients I get the following 2 equalities:

[itex]A^*cos\delta^* = A \sum cos\delta_n[/itex]

[itex]A^*sin\delta^* = A \sum sin\delta_n[/itex]

Beyond that it gets ugly if I try to solve for A* or δ*, for example squaring both and adding gives me:

[itex]A^* = \sqrt(A^2 ( \sum cos\delta_n)^2 + ( \sum sin\delta_n)^2)) [/itex]

is there another way to do this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the Euler form of the waves: B*e= A*∑einδ.

ehild

I also tried that but it leads me to the same set of equations, is my solution for A* correct? Cause I can't think of anything else to do with it.

Aeiδn is element of a geometric sequence with quotient e and Ae as first element. The sum of N element is the resultant wave.

[tex]B e^{i \theta}=A e^{i\delta} \frac{e^{i \delta N}-1}{e^{i\delta}-1}[/tex]

Factor out eiδ N/2 from the numerator and eiδ/2 from the denominator:

[tex]B e^{i \theta}=A e^{i\delta (N+1)/2} \frac{e^{i \delta N/2}-e^{-i \delta N/2}}{e^{i\delta/2}-e^{-i\delta/2}}=A e^{i\delta (N+1)/2}\frac{\sin(N\delta/2)}{\sin(\delta/2)}[/tex]

ehild

Last edited:

I would approach this problem by first understanding the underlying principles of wave superposition and how it affects amplitude and phase. I would then use mathematical equations and principles, such as the trig identity mentioned in the attempt at a solution, to solve for the amplitude and phase of the resulting wave.

One approach could be to use the principle of vector addition, where the amplitude and phase of the resulting wave can be represented as the sum of the amplitudes and phases of the individual waves. This can be visualized using a vector diagram, where the length and direction of the resulting vector represents the amplitude and phase, respectively.

Another approach could be to use complex numbers and Euler's formula to represent the individual waves and their superposition. This would allow for a simpler and more elegant solution, as the amplitude and phase can be represented as the magnitude and argument of the resulting complex number.

Ultimately, the solution will depend on the specific context and application of the problem, and it may require a combination of different mathematical techniques. As a scientist, it is important to critically analyze the problem and choose the most appropriate approach to solve it accurately and efficiently.

Related to Solving Wave Superposition: Amplitude & Phase

1. What is wave superposition?

Wave superposition is the phenomenon where two or more waves interact with each other and combine to form a new wave. This new wave is the sum of the individual waves' amplitudes and phases.

2. What is amplitude in wave superposition?

Amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of a wave from its equilibrium position. In wave superposition, the amplitude of the resulting wave is the sum of the amplitudes of the individual waves.

3. What is phase in wave superposition?

Phase refers to the position of a wave relative to a reference point. In wave superposition, the resulting wave's phase is determined by the individual waves' phases. If the waves are in phase, their phases add up, and if they are out of phase, their phases cancel out.

4. How do you solve for wave superposition?

To solve for wave superposition, you need to know the amplitudes and phases of the individual waves. Then, you can use the principle of superposition to add the waves' amplitudes and phases to get the resulting wave's amplitude and phase.

5. What is the importance of understanding wave superposition?

Understanding wave superposition is crucial in various fields, including physics, engineering, and music. It helps us understand how waves interact and how to manipulate them to produce specific outcomes. It also allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of complex wave systems, leading to advancements in technology and scientific discoveries.