Questions on Plane Wave Superposition

In summary, the conversation discusses questions about supereposition of plane waves, their direction, and the equations for the energy density in terms of electric and magnetic fields. The group also discusses how to relate the energy of specific plane waves to their superposition. A formula for the equation needed is also mentioned.
andrew chen
Homework Statement
Starting with the expression for the total energy of arbitrary superposition of plane electromagnetic waves in otherwise empty space, Show that the total number of photons (defined for each plane wave of wave vector ##\vec{k}## and polarization ##\vec{\epsilon}## as its energy divide by ##\hbar ck##) is given by the double integral ##N=\frac{\epsilon_0}{4\pi^2\hbar c}\int d^3x\int d^3x'\frac{\vec{E}(\vec{x}, t)\cdot\vec{E}(\vec{x}', t)+c^2\vec{B}(\vec{x}, t)\cdot\vec{B}(\vec{x}', t)}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|^2}##.
Relevant Equations
##\vec{E}(\vec{x},t)=\mathbf{\mathfrak{E}}e^{ik\vec{n}\cdot\vec{x}}##, ##\vec{B}(\vec{x},t)=\mathbf{\mathfrak{B}}e^{ik\vec{n}\cdot\vec{x}}##, and ##\mathbf{\mathfrak{B}}=\sqrt{\mu\epsilon}\vec{n}{\times}\mathbf{\mathfrak{E}}##
##\frac{1}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}=\int d^3k\frac{e^{i\vec{k}\cdot(\vec{x}-\vec{x}')}}{k^2}##
First, I have a question about supereposition of the plane waves - whether the direction of all such plane wave is same, i.e. ##\vec{n}## is in some direction. If not, I think it would be ##\vec{E}(\vec{x}, t)=\int\mathbf{\mathfrak{E}}(\vec{k}')e^{i\vec{k}'\cdot\vec{x}-i\omega t}d^3k##. Besides, how to express the energy of such plane wave. I think it would certainly be ##\int d^3x## ##u(\vec{x}, t)##. However, I can't figure out how to relate each specific plane wave's energy to the superposition, for energy isn't linear quantity and ##\omega## also relates to wave vector ##k## by ##\omega = kc##. I think that deriving the equation Jackson wants may require such formula ##\frac{1}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}=\int d^3k\frac{e^{i\vec{k}\cdot(\vec{x}-\vec{x}')}}{k^2}##. Could someone give me some hints to solve it, tks?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation for the energy density in terms of electric and magnetic fields?

nrqed said:
What is the equation for the energy density in terms of electric and magnetic fields?
It would be ##\frac{\epsilon_0}{2}|\vec{E}|^2## & ##\frac{1}{2\mu_0}|\vec{B}|^2##

1. What is plane wave superposition?

Plane wave superposition is a mathematical concept used to describe the interference of multiple plane waves. It involves adding together individual plane waves with different amplitudes and phases to create a resultant wave.

2. How is plane wave superposition related to wave interference?

Plane wave superposition is directly related to wave interference, as it is the mathematical representation of how multiple waves interact with each other. The resulting wave from the superposition can exhibit constructive or destructive interference, depending on the relative amplitudes and phases of the individual waves.

3. What is the principle of superposition?

The principle of superposition states that when two or more waves meet at a point in space, the resulting displacement at that point is equal to the sum of the individual displacements caused by each wave. This principle is fundamental to understanding plane wave superposition.

4. How is the amplitude of the resultant wave determined in plane wave superposition?

The amplitude of the resultant wave in plane wave superposition is determined by the algebraic sum of the individual wave amplitudes. If the individual waves are in phase, the amplitudes will add up, resulting in a larger amplitude. If the individual waves are out of phase, the amplitudes will cancel out, resulting in a smaller amplitude.

5. What are some real-world applications of plane wave superposition?

Plane wave superposition has many applications in science and engineering. It is used to describe the interference of light waves in optical systems, the behavior of sound waves in acoustics, and the properties of electromagnetic waves in radio and microwave technology. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of waves in quantum mechanics.