Solving Wave Speed of a Violin String

In summary, a violin string with a mass of 0.35g is 33 cm long and the frequency of a wave supported by the string is 196 Hz. The speed of the wave is 64.68 m/s.
HHH

Homework Statement

A violin string with a mass of 0.35g is 33 cm long. The frequency of a wave supported by the string is 196 Hz.

What is the speed of the wave?

Homework Equations

Ln = n/2 *lambda
v = f*lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Solve for wave length [/B]
L1 = 1/2 *lambda
0.33 = 1/2 * lambda
0.33 *2 = lambda
0.66 = lambda

2. Solve for speed of wave
v = f * lambda
v = 196 * 0.66
v = 129.36 m/s

I just assumed you have to use first harmonic and got the right answer, but why do we have to use first harmonic? or is there another way to do it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HHH said:
is there another way to do it?
You mean, without assuming 1st harmonic?
What if you assume 2nd harmonic? Does that give a different answer?

haruspex said:
You mean, without assuming 1st harmonic?
What if you assume 2nd harmonic? Does that give a different answer?

1. Solve for wave length
L1 = 2/2 *lambda
0.33 = 2/2 * lambda
0.33 *1 = lambda
0.33 = lambda

v = f * lambda
v = 196 * 0.33
v = 64.68 m/s

I get that which is wrong

HHH said:
1. Solve for wave length
L1 = 2/2 *lambda
0.33 = 2/2 * lambda
0.33 *1 = lambda
0.33 = lambda

v = f * lambda
v = 196 * 0.33
v = 64.68 m/s

I get that which is wrong
Quite so. So it follows that it is necessary to assume a particular harmonic, right?

haruspex said:
Quite so. So it follows that it is necessary to assume a particular harmonic, right?
So is it just a poorly worded question. Or do you always use first harmonic if it doesn't say.

Also, In the question, it does however mention that the string supports 196Hz, so is that a minimum frequency→like a harmonic?

HHH said:
it does however mention that the string supports 196Hz, so is that a minimum frequency→like a harmonic?
No, I think that just means it is one of the frequencies at which it can vibrate.
I note that it does give you the mass of the string, but that's no use without knowing the tension. Is there a later part to the question that asks you to find the tension?

haruspex said:
No, I think that just means it is one of the frequencies at which it can vibrate.
I note that it does give you the mass of the string, but that's no use without knowing the tension. Is there a later part to the question that asks you to find the tension?
B) What is the linear density of the string?
C) What is the tension in the string?

Those are easy if you know the speed.

Related to Solving Wave Speed of a Violin String

1. How do you calculate the wave speed of a violin string?

The wave speed of a violin string can be calculated using the formula v = √(T/μ), where v is the wave speed, T is the tension in the string, and μ is the linear mass density of the string.

2. What is the tension in a violin string?

The tension in a violin string refers to the amount of force applied to the string to produce a certain pitch. It is typically measured in newtons (N) and can vary depending on the type of string and the desired pitch.

3. How do you determine the linear mass density of a violin string?

The linear mass density of a string can be determined by dividing the mass of the string by its length. This can be measured using a scale and a ruler. The unit of measurement is typically grams per meter (g/m).

4. What factors can affect the wave speed of a violin string?

The wave speed of a violin string can be affected by various factors such as the tension in the string, the linear mass density of the string, and the temperature of the string. Additionally, the material and thickness of the string can also impact the wave speed.

5. Why is knowing the wave speed important in the study of violin strings?

Knowing the wave speed of a violin string is important because it helps us understand how sound is produced and transmitted through the string. It also allows us to predict the behavior of the string under different conditions, which is crucial in the design and construction of violins and other string instruments.