Solving Wave Packet Spreading Homework

In summary, the conversation is about a problem where the last part involves finding the expression for the 1/e width of a packet as a function of time. The person is having trouble with this part and is seeking help. The 1/e width is defined as when the amplitude distribution is 1/e of its maximum value. The complex expression for the width includes a term that makes it a complex quantity. The person struggles to understand why the width seems to decrease instead of increase as time goes on. However, they later realize that the spreading is in terms of the wave number, not the x-coordinate, so the width will actually increase over time.
Math Jeans

Homework Statement

So I already finished most of this problem, but I'm having trouble figuring out the very last part second part.

The last part of the problem is:
"Finally, take one additional term in the Taylor series expression of [tex]\omega(k)[/tex] and show that [tex]\sigma[/tex] is now replaced by a complex quantity. Find the expression of the 1/e width of the packet as a function of time for this case and show that the packet moves with the same group velocity as before but spreads in width as it moves. Illustrate this result with a sketch."

I found the complex quantity, and it is the second part I'm having issues with.

Homework Equations

The 1/e width is such that at [tex]k = k_0 \pm \frac{1}{\sqrt{\sigma}}[/tex], the amplitude distribution is 1/e of its maximum value [tex]A(k_0)[/tex].
The 1/e width is defined as [tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{\sigma}}[/tex].

The complex expression for [tex]\sigma[/tex] is [tex]\sigma - \frac{1}{2}i\omega''_0 t[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the implication of this is that:
[tex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{\sigma - \frac{1}{2}i\omega''_0 t}}[/tex]

Since this is the 1/e width, I had thought that it should be increasing in order to imply spreading, however, when I graph the real component of this equation with respect to time, I always get a decreasing trajectory for t>0. Would this not imply that it is contracting?

Well, I then went ahead and graphed my wave equation, and I did get some spreading (in that the oscillations remained visible for a larger width, however, the width of each curve was the same, but this is fine due to non-variable frequency).

How do I get my expression for [tex]\sigma[/tex] to correctly demonstrate the spreading effect?

thanks,
Jeans

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Jeans said:

Homework Statement

So I already finished most of this problem, but I'm having trouble figuring out the very last part second part.

The last part of the problem is:
Please also type out the entire question, so the reader has the correct context.

Gokul43201 said:
Please also type out the entire question, so the reader has the correct context.

Actually, you're timing is impeccable because I just figured it out.

The 1/e width refers to width in terms of wave number, so if spreading is in terms of the x-coordinate, then it will become larger as opposed to smaller.

Related to Solving Wave Packet Spreading Homework

1. How do you calculate the wave packet spreading?

The wave packet spreading can be calculated using the formula Δx = σ√(2ln2), where Δx is the width of the wave packet and σ is the standard deviation of the Gaussian distribution.

2. What factors affect wave packet spreading?

Wave packet spreading can be affected by the initial width of the wave packet, the mass of the particle, and the potential energy of the system.

3. How does wave packet spreading relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known. Wave packet spreading is a manifestation of this principle, as the more the wave packet spreads out, the less certain we are about the position of the particle.

4. Can wave packet spreading be reduced?

Yes, wave packet spreading can be reduced by decreasing the initial width of the wave packet or increasing the mass of the particle. Additionally, using potentials that confine the particle can also reduce wave packet spreading.

5. How is wave packet spreading used in quantum mechanics?

Wave packet spreading is used in quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of a particle's wave function over time. It can also be used to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a certain position within a given time frame.