Solving Vector Field for Independence of z

In summary, a vector field \vec{u}=(u_1,u_2,u_3) must satisfy the equations \Omega\hat{z} \times \vec{u}=-\nabla p and \nabla \bullet \vec{u}=0, where p is a scalar variable and \Omega is a scalar constant, in order for \vec{u} to be independent of z. In order to remove p from the equations, one can take the curl of \Omega\hat{z} \times \vec{u} and use vector identities to rewrite the equation as (\Omega \hat{z} \bullet \nabla)\vec{u} - (\
Matt atkinson

Homework Statement

A vector field $$ \vec{u}=(u_1,u_2,u_3) $$
satisfies the equations;
$$ \Omega\hat{z} \times \vec{u}=-\nabla p , \nabla \bullet \vec{u}=0$$
where p is a scalar variable, [itex] \Omega [/itex] is a scalar constant. Show that [itex] \vec{u} [/itex] is independant of z.
Hint ; how can we remove p from the equations

Homework Equations

Included above in question.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that it means that [itex] \vec{u} [/itex] doesn't have a z component and therefore is only described by x,y but I have no idea where to begin.
I tried removing p but I can't.

[edit]
I have made some progress I took the curl of the longer equation and got rid of [itex] \nabla p [/itex] using the curl of a scalar gradient = 0, but from then I just have ;
[itex] \nabla \times ( \vec{u} \times \Omega \hat{z})=0 [/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you try removing p?

vela said:
How did you try removing p?

I just updated it then because I realized I hadn't included what I'd done, kinda jumped the gun a little :) sorry, not sure where to go from there now though.

Your textbook should have a list of vector identities. (If not, google it.) You can rewrite the curl of a cross product in a different form that'll let you use the fact that the divergence of u is 0.

[itex] \nabla \times ( \vec{u} \times \Omega \hat{z}) = (\Omega \hat{z} \bullet \nabla)\vec{u} - (\vec{u} \bullet \nabla)\Omega \hat{z} +\vec{u}(\nabla \bullet \Omega \hat{z}) - \Omega \hat{z}(\nabla \bullet \vec{u}) [/itex]
This one? and then the turns with [itex]\nabla \bullet \vec{u} [/itex] cancel?
thanks for your help I think I Know what to do from here. If that's right ;D

Yup, looks good.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot vela

Related to Solving Vector Field for Independence of z

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of vectors at different points in a given space. Vectors can represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, or electric fields.

2. Why is solving vector field for independence of z important?

Solving vector field for independence of z allows us to understand the relationship between the vector components in a three-dimensional space. This is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

3. How do you solve for independence of z in a vector field?

To solve for independence of z in a vector field, you need to use the curl operator. This operator takes the partial derivatives of the vector components with respect to x, y, and z and combines them in a specific way to determine the independence of z.

4. What does it mean for a vector field to be independent of z?

A vector field is independent of z if the vector components do not depend on the z-coordinate. In other words, the behavior of the vector field remains the same regardless of the z-coordinate of a point in the space.

5. How is solving vector field for independence of z used in real-world applications?

Solving vector field for independence of z is used in many real-world applications, such as designing aircraft wings, simulating weather patterns, and creating 3D graphics in video games and movies. It allows us to accurately model and predict the behavior of physical systems in three-dimensional space.