Solving Variable Velocity Water Pouring Problem with Calculus

In summary, The problem involves pouring out a gallon of water at a rate of 2x milliliters per second, with x increasing by 1 every 5 seconds. The goal is to find out how long it takes for all the water to be poured out. There are two possible ways to solve this problem: using calculus to integrate the function and solve for the constant of integration, or using a sum to calculate the total time needed for each step of x to reach the total volume of a gallon. Both methods require a good understanding of calculus, which both the asker and their friend are lacking. They are seeking help in solving the problem and verifying their answer.
hexlan
I've been relearning c++ and my friend gave me a problem to try and solve programmatically. Here is the set up:

There is a pitcher with a gallon of water.
The water is being poured out beginning at a rate of 2x milliliters per second.
x begins at 1 and increases by 1 over 5 seconds.

The goal is to find out how long it takes to pour out all the water.

I finished writing a program and got an answer, but unfortunately both me and my friend are quite rusty with our calculus and have no way of checking the answer.

Could someone possibly provide an answer, or better yet go through the proper way of solving it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does that mean x=1 + t/5?
WolframAlpha can integrate that (where u is the time in seconds), you just have to set the result equal to the number of milliliters in a gallon (I refuse to calculate with imperial units).

Or does the flow rate increase in steps (2, 4, 8, ... ml/s)? Then you need a sum.

mfb said:
Does that mean x=1 + t/5?

That is correct.

dv/dt = 2^x, x=1+(t/5) therefore dv/dt = 2^(1+t/5). Integrate this to find v in terms of t, when t=0, v=0. Use this to find the constant of integration. From this you can sub the volume of a gallon in ml to find the value of t(seconds). I think this should work however the integration may be a little tricky. Thanks Kyle

Last edited:

I appreciate your use of calculus in solving this variable velocity water pouring problem. Calculus is a powerful tool for analyzing and solving problems involving changing quantities, and it is commonly used in physics and engineering.

To solve this problem, we can use the concept of integration, which is a fundamental concept in calculus. Integration allows us to find the total amount of water poured out over a specific period of time by summing up the infinitesimal amounts poured out at each moment.

To begin, we can set up a function to represent the volume of water poured out at any given time t. Let's call this function V(t), where t is measured in seconds. Since the rate of pouring is given by 2x milliliters per second, we can express this function as V(t) = 2x(t) where x(t) represents the value of x at time t.

Next, we need to determine the limits of integration. In this case, we want to find the total amount of water poured out over a period of 5 seconds, so our limits of integration will be from 0 to 5 seconds.

Now, we can set up the integral to represent the total amount of water poured out over 5 seconds:

∫ 0 5 2x(t) dt

To solve this integral, we need to find an antiderivative of 2x(t). The antiderivative of 2x(t) is x^2(t), so our integral becomes:

∫ 0 5 x^2(t) dt

Evaluating this integral from 0 to 5 gives us the total amount of water poured out over 5 seconds, which is equal to x^2(5) - x^2(0) = x^2(5) - 1. Since x(0) = 1, we can simplify this to x^2(5) - 1 = (1 + 5)^2 - 1 = 36 - 1 = 35 milliliters.

Therefore, it takes 35 milliliters of water to be poured out over 5 seconds.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the proper way to solve this problem using calculus. Keep up the good work in your programming and problem-solving skills!

Related to Solving Variable Velocity Water Pouring Problem with Calculus

1. What is the variable velocity water pouring problem?

The variable velocity water pouring problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the velocity of water being poured into a container at different rates over time. It is used to determine the quantity of water that will be in the container at a given time.

2. How does calculus help solve the variable velocity water pouring problem?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change and accumulation. It is used to model and solve problems involving continuously changing quantities, such as the variable velocity of water being poured into a container. By using calculus, we can determine the volume of water in the container at a specific time by calculating the area under a velocity-time graph.

3. What are the key steps in solving the variable velocity water pouring problem?

The key steps in solving the variable velocity water pouring problem are:- Defining the problem and identifying the given information- Setting up a function to represent the velocity of water being poured into the container- Using calculus to integrate the function and find the volume of water in the container at a specific time- Checking the solution for reasonableness and accuracy

4. Can the variable velocity water pouring problem be solved without using calculus?

Yes, it is possible to solve the variable velocity water pouring problem without using calculus. However, calculus provides a more accurate and efficient method for solving the problem as it takes into account the constantly changing rate of water being poured into the container. Other mathematical methods, such as algebra, may also be used but may require more complex equations and assumptions.

5. What are some real-world applications of the variable velocity water pouring problem?

The variable velocity water pouring problem has many practical applications, such as:- Calculating the amount of water in a tank during a rainstorm to prevent flooding- Determining the amount of fuel needed for a rocket to reach a certain distance- Predicting the growth of a population over time based on birth and death rates- Estimating the flow rate of a river or stream