Solving Variable Coefficient ODEs: Step-by-Step Guide for Your ODE Exam

• Thread starter cefarix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam Ode
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with solving a second-order ODE with variable coefficients before their upcoming exam. They mention knowing how to solve ODEs with constant coefficients and ask for a step-by-step explanation. Another person suggests the method of Reduction of Order, while someone else mentions the use of series solutions for more complicated equations. The student is reminded that this topic should have been covered in their textbook or class.
cefarix
ODE Exam! A simple ODE...please help!

I've got a midterm exam later this morning on ODEs. I know how to solve second-order and higher ODEs with constant coefficients, but what about variable coefficients??

Can someone please walk me step-by-step through the solving of:
y'' + A(x)y' + B(x)y = f(x), where ' indicates a derivative with respect to x. I really need to know this before the exam (I'll study for it myself too of course, but it would be really helpful if someone also explained it to me.). Thank you very much in advance for taking the trouble to help! o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
cefarix said:
I've got a midterm exam later this morning on ODEs. I know how to solve second-order and higher ODEs with constant coefficients, but what about variable coefficients??
Can someone please walk me step-by-step through the solving of:
y'' + A(x)y' + B(x)y = f(x), where ' indicates a derivative with respect to x. I really need to know this before the exam (I'll study for it myself too of course, but it would be really helpful if someone also explained it to me.). Thank you very much in advance for taking the trouble to help! o:)
Well, it looks like you've already had your exam. Have you heard of Reduction of Order?

Alex

In general there is NO simple general way of solving linear equations with variable coefficients (apmcavoy's suggestion of "reduction of order" works to reduce a 2nd order equation to a first order IF you already know a solution). The most general way of solving such an equation is to use a series solution. That depends strongly on the specific functions involved- and is much too complicated to be given here. If you are supposed to take a test over such problems then surely it is in your textbook and/or has been gone over in class?!

Related to Solving Variable Coefficient ODEs: Step-by-Step Guide for Your ODE Exam

1. What is a variable coefficient ODE?

A variable coefficient ODE is a type of ordinary differential equation (ODE) where the coefficients of the variables within the equation are not constant, but instead can change with respect to the independent variable. This can make the equation more difficult to solve compared to a constant coefficient ODE.

2. How do I solve a variable coefficient ODE?

To solve a variable coefficient ODE, you will need to use specific techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or series solutions. The exact method will depend on the form of the equation and the techniques you have learned in your course.

3. What is the purpose of using a step-by-step guide for solving a variable coefficient ODE?

A step-by-step guide provides a systematic approach to solving a variable coefficient ODE, making it easier to follow and understand the process. It also allows you to check your work and identify any mistakes that may have been made along the way.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve a variable coefficient ODE?

While a calculator can be a helpful tool in solving a variable coefficient ODE, it is still important to understand the underlying concepts and techniques involved. Relying solely on a calculator may hinder your understanding and ability to solve more complex ODEs in the future.

5. How can I prepare for my ODE exam?

To prepare for your ODE exam, it is important to review and practice solving various types of ODEs, including variable coefficient ODEs. You can also consult textbooks, lecture notes, and online resources for additional practice problems and explanations. It may also be helpful to attend review sessions or seek assistance from your instructor or peers if you are struggling with a specific concept or problem type.