Solving under the limit sign

In summary: This states that as long as the function is continuous at that point, then as the sequence of points gets closer and closer to the given point, the function will continue to be continuous. This means that as long as the limit exists and the function is continuous at the given point, we can perform any operation on the function and expect it to still be continuous at the limit.
SamRoss
Gold Member
Is it okay to perform operations under the limit sign just as we would if the limit sign were not there? I'm really asking this to better understand how to derive the value of e.

e is defined so that its exponential function is its own derivative. I won't go through all of it (since I'm sure most of the people on this site are familiar) but that amounts to saying that

lim ((e^h-1)/h) = 1
h->0

Now, if we simply had ((e^h-1)/h) = 1 without the limit and wanted to solve for e, we would get

e = (h+1)^(1/h)

Indeed, the true value of e, putting the limit back in, is

e = lim (h+1)^(1/h)
h->0

I have tried this out with a few other functions and it always turns out that performing operations under the limit sign as if it weren't even there and then slapping it back on at the end gives the correct answer, but I just can't convince myself that it's "legal". Can anyone help convince me?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is as long as you have uniform convergence of the limit. Do you kow what that means?

HallsofIvy said:
It is as long as you have uniform convergence of the limit. Do you kow what that means?

I just looked it up and spent about an hour and a half making some sense of it. I'm still not sure I see the relevance, though. Isn't uniform convergence defined for sequences of functions? (e^h-1)/h is just a single function with h as the variable. Now, I suppose we could get around that by trivially multiplying it by n/n and then defining the sequence of functions as

fn(h) = (n/n)((e^h-1)/h)

However, I still don't see how a uniformly convergent sequence of functions allows us to perform normal algebra under the limit sign. Is there a theorem about that?

For example, [itex]lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \left( \frac{1}{2} \right)^{1/n}=1[/itex] , but if you try to solve under the limit sign by raising both sides of the equation to n:th power, you'd get [itex]\frac{1}{2}=lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}1^{n}[/itex] , which clearly isn't true. In many cases, informal manipulation under the limit sign works, though.

hilbert2 said:
In many cases, informal manipulation under the limit sign works, though.

HallsofIvy said in his post that manipulation under the equal sign works when there is uniform convergence. Is that true? If so, do you know a proof for it?

SamRoss said:
HallsofIvy said in his post that manipulation under the equal sign works when there is uniform convergence. Is that true? If so, do you know a proof for it?

I'm not sure what HallsOfIvy means when talking about uniform convergence in this context. As you said, its a concept related to sequences of functions. When talking about the limit of a single function at a certain point, we have the concept of uniform continuity.

Related to Solving under the limit sign

1. What is the purpose of solving under the limit sign?

The purpose of solving under the limit sign is to determine the behavior of a function as the independent variable approaches a specific value. This helps to understand the overall behavior and properties of the function.

2. How do you solve under the limit sign?

To solve under the limit sign, you need to first identify the independent variable and the limit value. Then, you can use various methods such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, or applying limit laws to simplify the expression and evaluate the limit.

3. What are the common types of limits that can be solved under the limit sign?

The common types of limits that can be solved under the limit sign include finite limits, infinite limits, and limits at infinity. These are used to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point or as the independent variable approaches positive or negative infinity.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of a function as the independent variable approaches the limit value from one direction, either the left or the right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior from both directions and only exists if the one-sided limits from both directions are equal.

5. Why is solving under the limit sign important in scientific research?

Solving under the limit sign is important in scientific research as it helps to understand the behavior of functions and their properties, which are essential in many scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It also allows for the prediction of future trends and values for experimental data.