Solving Trigonometric Limits: \[\lim_{x\rightarrow 1},\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}\]

In summary, the conversation discusses two limits involving $\sin(x^2 - 1)$ and explores how to evaluate them using the known limit $\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin(x)}{x} = 1$. The conversation also suggests changing the variable in the limit to make it match the known limit and applying the appropriate properties to simplify the expression.
Yankel
Hello all

I am struggling with these two limits:

\[\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{sin(x^{2}-1)}{x-1}\]

\[\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}\frac{sin(x^{2}-1)}{x-1}\]

I know that

\[\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{sin(x)}{x}=1\]

but can't see how it helps me here. I tried multiplying by x+1 both the nominator and the denominator and got

\[\lim_{x\rightarrow 1}\frac{sin(x^{2}-1)}{x^{2}-1}\]

(of course there is a x+1 up there, but that's the easy part)

which is similar to what I know, but x->1 and not x->0, so it doesn't fit.

Can you assist please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Great idea there. You're right that $\lim_{x \to 1} \dfrac{\sin(x^2 - 1)}{(x - 1)} = \lim_{x \to 1} \dfrac{\sin(x^2 - 1)}{(x^2 - 1)} \cdot (x + 1) = 2 \lim_{x \to 1} \dfrac{\sin(x^2 - 1)}{x^2 - 1}$.

To proceed, you have to change the variable in the limit. Note that as $x\to 1$ you have $x^2 - 1 \to 0$, so to evaluate $\lim_{x \to 1} \dfrac{\sin(x^2 - 1)}{x^2 - 1}$, plug in $t = x^2 - 1$, and note that the limit becomes $t \to 0$. Now apply what you know about such limits.

You've got the right approach. Provided

$$\lim_{x\to a}f(x)=0$$

then

$$\lim_{x\to a}\frac{\sin(f(x))}{f(x)}=1$$

Nice idea, didn't think of it :eek:

Related to Solving Trigonometric Limits: \[\lim_{x\rightarrow 1},\lim_{x\rightarrow -1}\]

1. What is a trigonometric limit?

A trigonometric limit is a mathematical concept that is used to describe the behavior of a function as the input approaches a specific value. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as the input gets closer and closer to a given value.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric limit?

To solve a trigonometric limit, you can use various techniques such as algebraic manipulation, factoring, and trigonometric identities. You can also use the L'Hopital's rule, which states that the limit of a quotient of two differentiable functions is equal to the limit of the quotient of their derivatives.

3. What is the significance of solving trigonometric limits?

Solving trigonometric limits is important in calculus and other areas of mathematics as it helps us understand the behavior of functions and their derivatives. It also allows us to find the maximum and minimum values of a function and to determine the convergence or divergence of series.

4. Are there any special cases when solving trigonometric limits?

Yes, there are special cases when solving trigonometric limits. For example, when the limit involves trigonometric functions with a variable in both the numerator and denominator, we can use the squeeze theorem or the trigonometric limit identities to simplify the expression and evaluate the limit.

5. Can we use a calculator to solve trigonometric limits?

In most cases, you can use a calculator to evaluate trigonometric limits. However, some limits may require more advanced techniques or may not have a defined value. In these cases, a calculator may not be helpful, and you may need to use algebraic methods to solve the limit.