Solving Trig Word Problems: Q1 & Q2

• Thread starter Taylor_1989
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, In the first diagram, the rocket is at a height of 5000m and the angle from the take to the second stage is 25 degrees. The second diagram has an aeroplane at a height of 1000m and the angle of approach is 8km.
Taylor_1989
I am having trouble figuring out these two word problems. I have attached drawing on how I have set them up the diagrams up, but I seem to be going wrong on both. Here are the two questions.

1. A rocket lifts off vertically and travels to height of 5000m. The second stage cuts in and takes the rocket at an angle of 25 degrees, to the vertical, covering a further distance of 2000m. Calculate the height of the rocket.

2. An aeroplane is apporaching an airport at a height of 1000 m. If the aeroplane is 8km from the airport, workout the angle of approach.

The dotted line in diagrams show my working method.

If someone could please show me where I am going wrong, on these diagrams, I would appreciate very much.

In the first diagram I got 155 degree from take 180 - 25

Attachments

• rocket.jpg
    rocket.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 467
  • aeroplane.jpg
    aeroplane.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework-type problems should be posted in the Homework & Coursework section, not in the Math technical forum. I am moving your post to the Precalc Mathematics section under Homework & Coursework.
Taylor_1989 said:
I am having trouble figuring out these two word problems. I have attached drawing on how I have set them up the diagrams up, but I seem to be going wrong on both. Here are the two questions.

1. A rocket lifts off vertically and travels to height of 5000m. The second stage cuts in and takes the rocket at an angle of 25 degrees, to the vertical, covering a further distance of 2000m. Calculate the height of the rocket.

2. An aeroplane is apporaching an airport at a height of 1000 m. If the aeroplane is 8km from the airport, workout the angle of approach.

The dotted line in diagrams show my working method.

If someone could please show me where I am going wrong, on these diagrams, I would appreciate very much.

In the first diagram I got 155 degree from take 180 - 25

First just like to say sorry for putting the post in the wrong forum. I got the questions of a website, so didn't think it was a homework question. I have figured out the two questions now so no need for any response.

Related to Solving Trig Word Problems: Q1 & Q2

What are trigonometry word problems?

Trigonometry word problems involve using the principles of trigonometry to solve real-world scenarios. These problems typically involve triangles and the relationships between their sides and angles.

What is the first step in solving trig word problems?

The first step is to read the problem carefully and identify the given information. This includes the values of the sides and angles of the triangle, as well as any other relevant details.

What are the main trigonometric functions used in solving word problems?

The main functions used are sine, cosine, and tangent, which represent the ratio of the sides of a right triangle. Other functions, such as secant, cosecant, and cotangent, are also used in more complex problems.

How do I determine which trigonometric function to use in a word problem?

To determine the appropriate function, you must first identify which sides and angles are given in the problem. Then, use the acronym "SOH-CAH-TOA" (sine = opposite/hypotenuse, cosine = adjacent/hypotenuse, tangent = opposite/adjacent) to find the correct function.

What are some tips for solving trig word problems?

Some tips include drawing a diagram, labeling the sides and angles, using the Pythagorean theorem, and setting up equations with the given information. It is also helpful to check your work and make sure the answer makes sense in the context of the problem.