Geometry and Trig: finding an expression for an angle

In summary, the task is to find an expression for the geocentric semi-angle ##\phi## in terms of ##\epsilon##, the radius of the Earth ##R_E##, and the height of the orbit ##h##. The approach taken is to use basic trigonometry and the Law of Sines to derive an expression for angle ∅ in terms of the given variables. By expressing the angles ∠EGS and ∠ESG in terms of ε and ϕ and using the trigonometric identities, the final expression for ∅ is obtained.
tomwilliam2

Homework Statement

Given the diagram below, showing the path of a geocentric satellite S flying over a ground station G, find an expression for the geocentric semi-angle ##\phi## in terms of ##\epsilon##, the radius of the Earth ##R_E##, and the height of the orbit ##h##.

Homework Equations

This should just involve basic trigonometry.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've extended the line from the centre of the Earth, through G, and out through the orbit path of the satellite. Now, I've drawn a vertical down from the satellite S parallel with the existing straight line until it intersects that extended line. I've called ##r## the height above the Earth of this point where my additional lines intersect.
$$\cos \phi = \frac{R_E + r}{R_E+h}$$
$$\cos \phi = \frac{R_E}{R_E+h}+\frac{r}{R_E+h}$$
satelliteorbit.JPG

I'm not sure if I've made any progress here, as I need to bring the angle ##\epsilon## into it. I imagine I could use some trig identities as well. I actually know the answer, but can't quite get there. The answer is:
$$\phi = -\epsilon + \cos^{-1} \left(\frac{R_E}{R_E+h}\cos \epsilon \right)$$
Any help greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
tomwilliam2 said:

Homework Statement

Given the diagram below, showing the path of a geocentric satellite S flying over a ground station G, find an expression for the geocentric semi-angle ##\phi## in terms of ##\epsilon##, the radius of the Earth ##R_E##, and the height of the orbit ##h##.

Homework Equations

This should just involve basic trigonometry.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've extended the line from the centre of the Earth, through G, and out through the orbit path of the satellite. Now, I've drawn a vertical down from the satellite S parallel with the existing straight line until it intersects that extended line. I've called ##r## the height above the Earth of this point where my additional lines intersect.
$$\cos \phi = \frac{R_E + r}{R_E+h}$$
$$\cos \phi = \frac{R_E}{R_E+h}+\frac{r}{R_E+h}$$
View attachment 106138
I'm not sure if I've made any progress here, as I need to bring the angle ##\epsilon## into it. I imagine I could use some trig identities as well. I actually know the answer, but can't quite get there. The answer is:
$$\phi = -\epsilon + \cos^{-1} \left(\frac{R_E}{R_E+h}\cos \epsilon \right)$$
I have gone for a purely geometrical approach to this. Notice that a tangent gas been drawn at point G that is part of the angle ε. So you can find at least one angle of the larger triangle in terms of ε. From then on you can use trigonometric identities to derive an expression for angle ∅ in terms of the of the variables you mentiones.

tomwilliam2 said:
I take it from the problem statement that h is the height of the orbit above Earth's surface.

Express ∠EGS in terms of ε and ∠ESG in terms of ε and ϕ . Then use the Law of Sines. .

SammyS said:
I take it from the problem statement that h is the height of the orbit above Earth's surface.

Express ∠EGS in terms of ε and ∠ESG in terms of ε and ϕ . Then use the Law of Sines. .

The law of the sines:
##\frac{\sin \phi}{s}=\frac{\sin (\pi/2+\epsilon)}{R_E + h}=\frac{\sin EGS}{R_E}##

We can use ##\sin(\pi/2 + \epsilon)=\cos \epsilon##

So:

##\frac{R_E}{R_E+h}\cos \epsilon = \sin EGS##

I think I can use:
##\sin (\pi/2 - \theta) = \cos \theta##
To change the last expression into:
##\frac{R_E}{R_E+h}\cos \epsilon = \cos (\pi/2 - EGS)##
Then:
##\cos^{-1} \left(\frac{R_E}{R_E+h}\cos \epsilon\right) = \pi/2 - EGS##
Now I know from the geometry of the triangle that:
##\phi + \pi/2 + \epsilon + EGS = \pi##
So: ##\phi + \epsilon = \pi/2 - EGS##
Oh...I think I've just done it.
Thanks for your help.

Related to Geometry and Trig: finding an expression for an angle

1. What is the difference between geometry and trigonometry?

Geometry is the study of shapes, sizes, and measurements in two and three dimensions. Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. While geometry focuses on general shapes, trigonometry specifically deals with triangles.

2. How do you find an expression for an angle in geometry or trigonometry?

To find an expression for an angle, you need to use the given information about the angle's measurement and relationships with other angles or sides in a shape or triangle. This can be done by using various formulas and equations, such as the Pythagorean theorem or trigonometric ratios like sine, cosine, and tangent.

3. What are some common applications of geometry and trigonometry in real life?

Geometry and trigonometry have many practical applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, navigation, and surveying. They are also used in everyday tasks, such as measuring distances and angles, calculating heights and areas, and understanding patterns and shapes.

4. How do you use geometry and trigonometry to solve real-world problems?

To solve real-world problems using geometry and trigonometry, you need to identify the given information and what you are trying to find. Then, you can use the appropriate formulas and equations to set up and solve the problem. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct formulas for the given shape or triangle.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when working with geometry and trigonometry?

One common mistake is mixing up the formulas for different shapes or triangles. It is important to understand the relationships between the angles and sides in each shape or triangle and use the correct formula. Another mistake is not paying attention to units, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is also important to double-check your calculations and use a calculator when necessary.