Solving these quadratic equations

In summary, there was a "new" way to solve quadratics that avoided the traditional formula. This method focused on the algebraic relationships between the coefficients and roots of a quadratic equation, allowing for a more general solution. While some may prefer the traditional method, this approach offers a different perspective on solving quadratics.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
if the roots of the equation ##x^2+bx+c=0## are ##∝, β## and the roots of the equation ##x^2+λbx+λ^2c=0## are ##δ, ϒ##show that the equation whose roots are ##∝ϒ+βδ## and ##∝δ+βϒ## is ##x^2-λb^2x+2λ^2c(b^2-2c)=0##
Relevant Equations
quadratic equations; sum and roots
1594177309176.png

my original working, i would appreciate alternative methods...

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
In the news, there was a "new" way to solve quadratics that avoided the dreaded formula above:

https://www.sciencealert.com/math-g...y-simple-new-way-to-solve-quadratic-equations

and here's Khan Academy on the proof:

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/al...ratic-formula-a1/v/proof-of-quadratic-formula

i just had a look at his method...i don't really like it...i respect his approach nevertheless...though i prefer old school way of solving quadratics :cool:

Likes PeroK
If [itex](x - \alpha)(x - \beta) = x^2 + bx + c[/itex] then [itex](x - \lambda\alpha)(x - \lambda\beta) = x^2 + \lambda b + \lambda^2 c[/itex]. So [itex]\{\gamma, \delta\} = \{\lambda\alpha, \lambda\beta\}[/itex].

Now substituting [itex]\gamma = \lambda \alpha[/itex] and [itex]\delta = \lambda \beta[/itex] we find that the roots of the new quadratic are then [tex]
r_1 = \alpha \gamma + \beta \delta = \lambda (\alpha^2 + \beta^2) = \lambda((\alpha + \beta)^2 - 2\alpha\beta) = \lambda(b^2 - 2c)[/tex] and [tex]
r_2 = \alpha \delta + \beta\gamma = 2\lambda \alpha \beta = 2 \lambda c[/tex] yielding [tex]
r_1 + r_2 = \lambda b^2, \qquad r_1r_2 = 2\lambda^2 c (b^2 - 2c)[/tex] as required. Swapping the definitions of [itex]\gamma[/itex] and [itex]\delta[/itex] swaps [itex]r_1[/itex] and [itex]r_2[/itex], leaving [itex]r_1 + r_2[/itex] and [itex]r_1r_2[/itex] unchanged.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK and chwala
chwala said:
i just had a look at his method...i don't really like it...i respect his approach nevertheless...though i prefer old school way of solving quadratics :cool:
The thing to notice here is that it is better to focus on the equations relating roots and coefficents and leave the quadratic equations themselves behind.

1) You have an equation with coefficients ##b, c## and roots ##\alpha, \beta##. This gives:
$$\alpha + \beta = -b, \ \ \alpha \beta = c$$
2) You then have a second equation with coefficents ##b_2, c_2##, say, and roots ##\gamma, \delta##. Hence:
$$\gamma + \delta = -b_2, \ \ \gamma \delta = c_2$$
3) We want a third equation with coefficients ##B, C##, say, and roots ##\alpha \gamma + \beta \delta, \ \alpha \delta + \beta \gamma##, hence:
$$-B = (\alpha \gamma + \beta \delta) + (\alpha \delta + \beta \gamma) = (\alpha + \beta)(\gamma + \delta) = (-b)(-b_2) = bb_2$$ $$C = (\alpha \gamma + \beta \delta)(\alpha \delta + \beta \gamma) = (\alpha^2 + \beta^2)\gamma \delta + (\gamma^2 + \delta^2)\alpha \beta = (\alpha^2 + \beta^2)c_2 + (\gamma^2 + \delta^2)c$$
4) Now you use the simplification:
$$\alpha^2 + \beta^2 = (\alpha + \beta)^2 - 2\alpha\beta = b^2 - 2c \ \ \text{and} \ \ \gamma^2 + \delta^2 = b_2^2 - 2c_2$$
5) This gives us a more general solution to a more general problem:
$$B = - bb_2, \ \ C = (b^2 - 2c)c_2 + (b_2^2 - 2c_2)c$$
6) In this particular case, we have ##b_2 = \lambda b## and ##c_2 = \lambda^2 c##. You can plug those in and get the solution in this case. But, if you specify any other coefficients for the second equation, we already for the solution for that as well.

You see how it was in many ways simpler to break free of the quadratic equations themselves and focus on the algebraic relationships between coefficients and roots. This allows us to solve problems even more generally.

Likes chwala

Related to Solving these quadratic equations

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is called a quadratic equation because the highest power of the variable is 2.

2. How do you solve a quadratic equation?

There are several methods for solving quadratic equations, including factoring, using the quadratic formula, and completing the square. The method you choose will depend on the specific equation and your personal preference.

3. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a formula used to solve any quadratic equation. It is written as x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the constants from the quadratic equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0.

4. Can all quadratic equations be solved?

Yes, all quadratic equations can be solved using the quadratic formula. However, some equations may have complex or imaginary solutions.

5. Why are quadratic equations important?

Quadratic equations are important in many fields of science and mathematics, including physics, engineering, and economics. They also have real-world applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile or determining the optimal solution for a business problem.