Solving the Verhulst Equation: Where Did My Calculation Go Wrong?

• Thread starter asdf1
  • Start date
In summary, the Verhulst equation is a mathematical model for describing population growth that takes into account both the current population and the carrying capacity of the environment. It is typically solved using numerical methods and some common errors to avoid include incorrect initial conditions and values, as well as mistakes in the numerical methods. To troubleshoot calculations, double-checking inputs and comparing results to known solutions are recommended. The Verhulst equation can also be applied to real-world situations, such as modeling animal populations and predicting population dynamics with factors like immigration and emigration.
asdf1
for the following question:
y`-Ay=-By^2

my problem:
Suppose u=y^(-1)
so u`=-y^(-2)y`=B-Au
so du/(B-Au)= dx
=> B-Au=ce^x
=> u=(B-ce^x)/A
so y=1/u=a/(B-ce^x)

however, the correct answer should be y=1/[(B/A)+ce^(-ax)]
does anybody know where my calculations went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
asdf1 said:
so u`=-y^(-2)y`=B-Au

Take a look at this step again. I think one of the terms has the wrong sign.

i see~
thanks!

Related to Solving the Verhulst Equation: Where Did My Calculation Go Wrong?

1. What is the Verhulst equation?

The Verhulst equation is a mathematical model used to describe the growth of a population over time. It takes into account both the existing population and the carrying capacity of the environment.

2. How is the Verhulst equation solved?

The Verhulst equation is typically solved using numerical methods, such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method. These methods involve breaking the equation down into smaller, solvable steps and using iterative calculations to find a solution.

3. What are some common errors when solving the Verhulst equation?

Some common errors when solving the Verhulst equation include using incorrect initial conditions, using incorrect values for the growth rate and carrying capacity, and making mistakes in the numerical methods used to solve the equation.

4. How can I troubleshoot my Verhulst equation calculations?

If your Verhulst equation calculations are not producing the expected results, try double-checking your initial conditions and input values. You can also compare your calculations to a known solution or use a different numerical method to see if the results are consistent.

5. How can I apply the Verhulst equation to real-world situations?

The Verhulst equation can be used to model population growth in a variety of real-world scenarios, such as animal populations, bacterial growth, and human populations. It can also be modified to include factors such as immigration and emigration, making it a useful tool for studying and predicting population dynamics.