Solving the Truck Stopping Distance Problem

In summary, a truck of mass 2000 kg traveling at 20 m/s to the right carries a load of mass 500 kg positioned 3 meters behind the driver. The load is kept on the truck by friction, with a coefficient of friction of 0.5 between the load and the truck bed. To stop the truck without having the load slide forward and hit the driver, the truck must travel at least 37.8 meters.
quietrain

Homework Statement

a truck of mass 2000 kg traveling 20 m/s to the right carries a load of mass 500 kg positioned 3 meters behind the driver. The load is kept on the truck by friction, and the coefficient of friction between the load and the bed of the truck is 0.5. What is the shortest distance in which the truck can stop without having the load slide forward enough to hit the driver? (Note that the load can slide forward 3 meters before it hits the driver.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

to solve this question,

take truck moving right = +ve

the change in momentum of the box = 0 - (500)(20) = -10000 kgms-1

hence, the Force (Fc) that brings about this change = -10000/t

assuming the box doesn't move after the truck stops, hence Fc = Friction force of box on truck
<or should it be Forward momentum force acting right = friction force acting left on box?>
<because my Fc = -ve, hence it tells me its acting left. so it can't be = friction force acting left, to cancel out each other so that box doesn't move>
since friction acts in the direction of the aceleration, and the box is acelerating to the left as the truck slows down.

anyway, therefore Friction = (500)(9.8)(0.5) = 2450N
thus t = 10000/2450 = 4.1s
assume truck decelerates constantly, 0 - 20/ t = a , => a = -20/4.1 = -4.9ms-2
finally, use s=ut+1/2at^2 , => s = 20(4.1)+1/2(-4.9)(4.1^2) = 40.8m

however, the question allows the box to move 3m and i realize that the final answer of 37.8m is just 40.8- 3 = 37.8m.

so is this a coincidence? or is there some reason behind it? because i still don't know how to factor in the 3m allowance

from my understanding, the 3m allowance would come from the net force (Fnet) between (Fc) and Friction, as (Fc) will be larger than Friction now for the box to move 3m. but i don't know how to relate Force to distance moved.

i tried using 1/2mv^2 of the box = work done against friction + work done to move box 3m. but it doesn't work.

thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi quietrain! Welcome to PF! :smile:
quietrain said:
… so is this a coincidence? …

Yup! big coincidence! :biggrin:

Start again …

if the acceleration of the truck is -a, what is the acceleration of the load? and how far does each go before it stops? :smile:

erm, if the truck has -a, then the box would have -a too.

the distance moved by the truck = distance moved by the box = s = ut + 1/2at^2
s= 20(t) + 1/2(-a)t^2

so i don't have t and don't have -a.

oh, am i right to say that the only force that causes the change in momentum of the box from 10000kgms-1 to 0kgms-1 is friction? assuming no air resistance.

therefore 10000/t = friction= 2450N

time taken for the box for this change of momentum is t = 4.1s regardless of how the truck slows down ?

so deceleration of box due to friction =>a = 0 -20 /4.1s = -4.9ms-2

so distance moved by box = s = (20)(4.1s) + 1/2(-4.9)(4.1^2) = 40.8

so the box would move a distance of 40.8m in 4.1s regardless of how the truck moves?

so the truck needs to move at least 37.8m to prevent the box(after it moves 3m) from hitting the driver ?

Hi quietrain! :smile:
quietrain said:
erm, if the truck has -a, then the box would have -a too.

No, if the box is slipping relative the truck, then it has a different velocity, and a different acceleration, doesn't it? :wink:

Find this acceleration using the friction force, and good ol' Newton's second law :smile:

so am i right to say that the only force that causes the change in momentum of the box from 10000kgms-1 to 0kgms-1 is friction? assuming no air resistance.

therefore 10000/t = friction= 2450N

time taken for the box for this change of momentum is t = 4.1s regardless of how the truck slows down ?

so deceleration of box due to friction =>a = 0 -20 /4.1s = -4.9ms-2

so distance moved by box = s = (20)(4.1s) + 1/2(-4.9)(4.1^2) = 40.8

so the box would move a distance of 40.8m in 4.1s regardless of how the truck moves?

so the truck needs to move at least 37.8m to prevent the box(after it moves 3m) from hitting the driver ?

quietrain said:

That's right.

thanks!

Related to Solving the Truck Stopping Distance Problem

1. What is the truck stopping distance problem?

The truck stopping distance problem refers to the distance a truck requires to come to a complete stop after the brakes are applied. This distance is affected by various factors such as the weight of the truck, its speed, road conditions, and the condition of the brakes.

2. Why is it important to solve the truck stopping distance problem?

It is important to solve the truck stopping distance problem because it directly affects the safety of both the truck driver and other road users. A truck that cannot stop in time can cause accidents, resulting in injuries or even fatalities. Additionally, addressing this problem can also help improve the efficiency and reliability of the trucking industry.

3. What are the current methods used to solve the truck stopping distance problem?

The current methods used to solve the truck stopping distance problem include mathematical calculations, computer simulations, and physical testing. These methods take into account various factors such as truck weight, speed, and braking system to determine the required stopping distance.

4. How can advancements in technology help solve the truck stopping distance problem?

Advancements in technology can help solve the truck stopping distance problem by allowing for more accurate and efficient calculations and simulations. For example, advanced computer programs and sensors can provide real-time data on road conditions, truck weight, and braking system performance, allowing for more precise stopping distance calculations.

5. Are there any regulations in place to address the truck stopping distance problem?

Yes, there are regulations in place to address the truck stopping distance problem. In the United States, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has regulations that require trucks to be equipped with proper brakes and for truck drivers to undergo training on braking and stopping distance. Additionally, truck manufacturers must adhere to safety standards set by regulatory bodies.