Box moving on a decelerating truck?

• Thread starter dtseng96
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box Truck
In summary, the question asks for the maximum distance the truck can travel before the box hits the cabin. The acceleration of the box relative to the truck is aB = μkg and the acceleration of the truck relative to the ground is aT = -μkg. The maximum distance can be calculated using the equations F = ma and Fk = μkmg. However, there may be a mistake in the teacher's solution.
dtseng96

Homework Statement

A truck with a steel bed carries a wooden box, where μs = 2μk. The box of mass m is in the middle of the bed of length l. If the truck is moving forward with velocity vo but is slowing down, determine the maximum distance the truck can take to stop before the box hits the cabin of the truck in terms of the variables given.

Homework Equations

F = ma, Fk = μkmg

The Attempt at a Solution

So my teacher said that the acceleration of the box relative to the truck is aB = μkg, while the acceleration of the truck relative to the ground is aT = -μkg. I'm having trouble understanding how my teacher got this... I do know that the acceleration of the block relative to the ground is a = μg, but I don't know how my teacher got the acceleration of the block relative to the truck. Can anyone help clarify my teacher's reasoning?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you so much!

In case you guys want to look at my teacher's actual solution, here it is. My question is about part b): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12682457/m%20%26%20f%20%232%20copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote,

"...determine the maximum distance the truck can take to stop before the box hits the cabin..."

Shouldn't that be the minimum distance the truck can take to stop? If we decelerate slowly the box won't move relative to the truck.

Edit, ignore the above question, it now makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Does this look right?

Attachments

• truck188.jpg
    truck188.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 509
@Spinnor: Yes, that does look correct to me! :) Except the question is looking for the maximum distance the truck travels :O

I discussed this again with my teacher, and apparently, there might be a mistake in my teacher's work. But yes, thank you for your solution! It gave me an idea of what the correct solution should look like...

I would approach this problem by breaking it down into smaller parts and analyzing the forces acting on the box and the truck separately. First, let's consider the forces acting on the box.

The box is experiencing two forces: the force of friction (Fk) and the force of gravity (mg). The force of friction can be broken down into two components: the static friction force (Fs) and the kinetic friction force (Fk). Since the box is not moving relative to the truck, the static friction force must be equal in magnitude to the force of gravity (Fs = mg). This means that the box is not accelerating relative to the truck (aB = 0).

Now, let's consider the forces acting on the truck. The truck is experiencing the force of friction from the road (Ff) and the force of the box pushing against it (Fb). Since the truck is decelerating, the force of friction must be greater than the force of the box (Ff > Fb). This means that the truck is accelerating in the negative direction (aT = -Ff/m).

To determine the maximum distance the truck can take to stop before the box hits the cabin, we need to consider the distance the truck travels while decelerating (d) and the distance the box travels while the truck is decelerating (d'). Since the box is not accelerating relative to the truck, its distance traveled while the truck is decelerating must be equal to the distance traveled by the truck (d' = d).

We can use the equation d = vo*t + (1/2)*aT*t^2 to solve for the maximum distance (d) in terms of the given variables. Plugging in the values for aT and solving for t, we get t = vo/μg. Substituting this into the equation for d, we get d = (vo^2)/(2μg). This is the maximum distance the truck can take to stop before the box hits the cabin.

In summary, the reasoning for the acceleration of the box relative to the truck (aB = 0) and the acceleration of the truck relative to the ground (aT = -Ff/m) is based on the fact that the box is not moving relative to the truck and the truck is decelerating. I hope this helps to clarify your teacher's reasoning.

Related to Box moving on a decelerating truck?

1. How does the speed of the truck affect the movement of the box?

The speed of the truck affects the movement of the box because as the truck decelerates, the box will experience a force in the opposite direction of the truck's motion. This force will cause the box to slow down and eventually come to a stop.

2. What is the role of friction in the movement of the box?

Friction plays a crucial role in the movement of the box on a decelerating truck. As the truck slows down, the box will continue to move forward due to its inertia. However, friction between the box and the truck's surface will eventually slow down the box until it matches the speed of the truck.

3. How does the weight of the box affect its movement on a decelerating truck?

The weight of the box affects its movement on a decelerating truck because it determines the force of gravity acting on the box. The heavier the box, the greater the force of gravity and the more difficult it will be to move the box on the truck.

4. Will the box continue to move if the truck comes to a complete stop?

Yes, the box will continue to move if the truck comes to a complete stop. This is because of the principle of inertia, which states that an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, the force of friction will eventually bring the box to a stop.

5. What factors can affect the speed at which the box moves on a decelerating truck?

Several factors can affect the speed at which the box moves on a decelerating truck, including the speed and rate of the truck's deceleration, the weight and shape of the box, and the type and condition of the surface the box is moving on. Additionally, external forces such as wind or other objects colliding with the box can also impact its speed.