Solving the Puzzle: Ball Thrown Upward

In summary, the conversation discusses a ball being thrown straight up with an initial speed of 40 m/s and the questions of how high it goes, how long it stays in the air, and what equations are needed to solve for these values. The conversation also mentions using a formula for displacement, but the answer was incorrect. It is suggested to try an equation with time to find the distance.
iluvpandas

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown straight up with an initial speed of 40 m/s. (Neglect air resistance.)
How high does it go? how long does it stay i the air

Homework Equations

i know the second part is 8 because its basically saying 40m every second divide by acc.(gravity) which is basically 10 and multiply by 2 one second going up and another going down. but I am completely lost on the first part

The Attempt at a Solution

im not sure but i think i use the formula for displacement? but when i tried the answer was wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the three motion equations here. And then see what you are looking for.
What is the final velocity?
What is initial velocity?
What is distance? - not known
What is time? - not given
What is acceleration?

You should try equation with time in it when finding the distance.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the known and unknown quantities. In this case, the known quantities are the initial speed (40 m/s) and the acceleration due to gravity (10 m/s^2). The unknown quantities are the height reached by the ball and the time it stays in the air.

To solve for the height, we can use the equation for displacement: s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement (height), u is the initial speed, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

Plugging in the known values, we get:
s = (40 m/s)(t) + 1/2(10 m/s^2)(t^2)
s = 40t + 5t^2

To solve for the time, we can use the equation for time: t = v/u, where v is the final velocity and u is the initial speed.

Since the ball reaches its maximum height at the top of its trajectory, the final velocity is 0 m/s. Thus, we get:
t = 0/40 m/s
t = 0 seconds

This means that the ball reaches its maximum height in 0 seconds, before falling back down. Therefore, the height reached by the ball is 0 meters.

To solve for the time it stays in the air, we can use the equation for time again:
t = v/u

Since the ball reaches its starting point again when it falls back down, the final velocity is equal to the initial velocity (40 m/s). Thus, we get:
t = 40 m/s / 40 m/s
t = 1 second

Therefore, the ball stays in the air for 1 second before falling back down.

In summary, the ball reaches a height of 0 meters and stays in the air for 1 second when thrown straight up with an initial speed of 40 m/s, neglecting air resistance.

Related to Solving the Puzzle: Ball Thrown Upward

1. What is the initial velocity of the ball when thrown upward?

The initial velocity of the ball when thrown upward depends on the force applied to it by the thrower. It can be calculated by dividing the vertical distance traveled by the ball by the time it takes to reach that distance.

2. How do you calculate the maximum height reached by the ball?

The maximum height reached by the ball can be calculated using the equation h = (v0)2 / 2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the time it takes for the ball to reach its maximum height?

The time it takes for the ball to reach its maximum height is affected by the initial velocity, the angle at which the ball is thrown, and the force of gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of the ball?

Air resistance can slow down the motion of the ball, causing it to take longer to reach its maximum height and to fall back to the ground. However, for small objects like a thrown ball, air resistance is usually negligible.

5. Is the motion of the ball symmetrical?

In a perfect scenario with no external forces, the motion of the ball would be symmetrical, meaning it would follow the same path on its way up and down. However, in reality, factors like air resistance and slight variations in the force of the throw can cause the motion to be slightly asymmetrical.