A baseball is thrown from the outfield toward the home plate

In summary: So, what does this actually mean?In summary, AIR RESISTANCE is a factor that affects the momentum of an object in flight. If air resistance is neglected, the momentum of the object is constant. However, if air resistance is taken into account, the momentum of the object is not constant.
Apple
1. The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data
A baseball is thrown from the outfield toward the home plate. a) Neglecting air resistance, is the momentum of the ball conserved during its flight? explain b) Neglecting the air resistance, is the momentum of the earth-ball system conserved during baseball’s flight? explain.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I think the statement in part A is false and part B is true, I just don't know if I'm am right please explain the answers. Thank in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Apple said:
1. The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data
A baseball is thrown from the outfield toward the home plate. a) Neglecting air resistance, is the momentum of the ball conserved during its flight? explain b) Neglecting the air resistance, is the momentum of the earth-ball system conserved during baseball’s flight? explain.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I think the statement in part A is false and part B is true, I just don't know if I'm am right please explain the answers. Thank in advance!

We are not allowed to "explain the answers"; we are just allowed to offer hints. Surely you know why you gave those answers. What were your reasons?

Likes Apple
Ray Vickson said:
We are not allowed to "explain the answers"; we are just allowed to offer hints. Surely you know why you gave those answers. What were your reasons?
I assumed that there were no external forces since air resistance was neglected. So, when no external forces act on an object the total momentum is constant. The Earth in the system causes the external force (mg) to become internal to the system and is canceled out by the third law force pair of the gravitational force of the ball on the earth.Then there would be no more outside force that would be able to change the kinetic energy.

Apple said:
I assumed that there were no external forces since air resistance was neglected. So, when no external forces act on an object the total momentum is constant. The Earth in the system causes the external force (mg) to become internal to the system and is canceled out by the third law force pair of the gravitational force of the ball on the earth.Then there would be no more outside force that would be able to change the kinetic energy.

I can't actually make out from that what your answers are. Try, instead:

In a) momentum is conserved/not conserved [delete as applicable] because ...

Likes Apple
PeroK said:
I can't actually make out from that what your answers are. Try, instead:

In a) momentum is conserved/not conserved [delete as applicable] because ...
In a) momentum is not conserved because if there is an outside force acting on the ball (Gravity is an external force).
In b) momentum is conserved when the earth-ball system has no net momentum its final and initial momentum is the same, therefore it is constant.

Apple said:
In a) momentum is not conserved because if there is an outside force acting on the ball (Gravity is an external force).
In b) momentum is conserved when the earth-ball system has no net momentum its final and initial momentum is the same, therefore it is constant.

I think you've got the idea, although for b) you seem to have expressed things in an odd way. Did you think about using the term "internal forces" or "Newton's third law"?

That said, question b) is a bit odd, in that it mentions air resistance. That seems odd to me, because if you take the atmosphere out of the system, then the (solid) Earth and the ball are no longer a closed system. But, if the air is part of the Earth, then you have a closed system.

Likes Apple

Related to A baseball is thrown from the outfield toward the home plate

1. What is the speed of the baseball when it is thrown from the outfield to the home plate?

The speed of the baseball will depend on the strength and technique of the player throwing it. On average, a professional baseball player can throw a ball at a speed of around 90 mph.

2. How does the distance between the outfield and home plate affect the trajectory of the ball?

The distance between the outfield and home plate will impact the trajectory of the ball due to the force of gravity. The further the distance, the more time the ball has to be affected by gravity, resulting in a more curved trajectory.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the throw from the outfield to the home plate?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of the throw include wind speed and direction, the player's arm strength and technique, and the condition of the ball.

4. How does air resistance impact the flight of the baseball from the outfield to the home plate?

Air resistance, also known as drag, will slow down the speed of the baseball and affect its trajectory. The design and spin of the baseball can also impact the amount of air resistance it experiences.

5. What is the average time it takes for a baseball to travel from the outfield to the home plate?

The average time for a baseball to travel from the outfield to the home plate is around 0.4 to 0.5 seconds, depending on the speed and distance of the throw.